Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't mind the cowl. My problem is just the cat ears being too big it looks like Man-Bat ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't mind the cowl. My problem is just the cat ears being too big it looks like Man-Bat ears.
    idk, I kind of dug it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    idk, I kind of dug it.

Funny thing about that design to me was that the hood came with a “mask” part that the goggles covered up... but still looked good.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Funny thing about that design to me was that the hood came with a “mask” part that the goggles covered up... but still looked good.
    Yeah, reminded me a bit of Pfeiffer's look

Extraordinary Member

I honestly found the personality of The Batman’s version of Catwoman the best of the cartoons, far and away. She genuinely felt like a loveable rogue and ne’er-do-well with a hidden heart of gold, and it’s the only cartoon I can immediately think of that actually gets that “playful” flirting vibe when she’s still clearly Batman’s enemy. BTAS Catwoman was a bit more straight-laced, and tended to be more openly cooperative and desirous of Batman.

I always enjoy seeing the more villainous Catwoman when she feels annoyed at her conscience making her help someone. I feel like classic cat-burglar Catwoman should always be someone who would complain and make excuses while saving someone because she doesn’t want to admit it’s a purely compassionate impulse she’s following. That’s what sells me on the idea of Batman deciding to tolerate her being free and maybe hesitate to doubt her when she pulls a heroic turn.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Yeah, reminded me a bit of Pfeiffer's look

It accentuates her eyes .

I honestly found the personality of The Batman’s version of Catwoman the best of the cartoons, far and away. She genuinely felt like a loveable rogue and ne’er-do-well with a hidden heart of gold, and it’s the only cartoon I can immediately think of that actually gets that “playful” flirting vibe when she’s still clearly Batman’s enemy. BTAS Catwoman was a bit more straight-laced, and tended to be more openly cooperative and desirous of Batman.

I always enjoy seeing the more villainous Catwoman when she feels annoyed at her conscience making her help someone. I feel like classic cat-burglar Catwoman should always be someone who would complain and make excuses while saving someone because she doesn’t want to admit it’s a purely compassionate impulse she’s following. That’s what sells me on the idea of Batman deciding to tolerate her being free and maybe hesitate to doubt her when she pulls a heroic turn.
    Yep, I think the show's version of Selina was one of the few things done much better than how the B:TAS handled her.

Extraordinary Member

Yep, I think the show's version of Selina was one of the few things done much better than how the B:TAS handled her.
    BTAS Catwoman reflected the Bronze Age version of the character - not truly stoic, but definitely more serious, and treated more as a “high society” woman in natural dignity than as an interloper in that world.

The Batman got to reflect the attitude and personality that fans and creators started giving Selina in the 90’s when they started realizing how flirtatious and funky that idea of her encouraging Batman to chase her was. And that whole aspect gave her her own little “outsider with insider access” feel, kind of like Bruce; whereas he was much more bored, serious, and hardworking than the high society crew his civilian ID interacts with under a foolish facade, she’s much more down to earth and mischievous than the mildly more serious facade she presents society elites.

Plus, the adrenaline junky aspect of a Catwoman who may very well go out looking to engage with Batman in a chase is clearly someone having fun, often to Batman’s frustration.

Speaking of 'The Batman's version of Catwoman I'm reminded of the Ragdoll episode where she is bored at a rich people party and is scoping out potential targets. I love the 'old money, new money' pun she made there. Also we got this awesome three way battle between Batman, Catwoman and Ragdoll at the clocktower. I should give the show a re-watch sometime.

There’s different preferences for Catwoman’s mask - I myself and others prefer her cowl, though I further prefer her hair coming out of it like from the 70-90s.

I tend to just be mildly anti-domino mask, period, though. I’m okay with them on the current Robin and Nightwing. But otherwise, I think they’re just both a lazy design choice and mildly stupid one given how unconvincing they usually are as disguises. Tim’s Red Robin ID worked with a cowl, while the same ID and the Drake one are worthless when it’s got a domino makes again. Babs has no reason to wear a domino mask at all, nor does Cass or Steph. Jason’s lucky that even his more dubious creative teams have refused to be so simplistic and basic. One of my complaints about TDKR’s Catwoman (even though I still like the character) is the simplicity of her mask and ears.

I’ll also admit I actually liked The Batman's design for her, given the design style of the show. This is the same show that gives Bruce the world’s most awkward chin and cheek bones for a season or two, and tried “straight jacket Sonic” Joker. Her overall ensemble in the show was actually pretty sleek.
    I get annoyed with a domino mask for Batgirl and Catwoman but not for Nightwing and Robin. Though I guess that's because for the former two, their costumes are meant to evoke a cat and bat respectively while the latter two are not mean represent anything particular.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Just landed the Catwoman reviewer gig for Comic-Watch. Can’t wait to post my reviews and see everyone’s thoughts on them.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

There’s different preferences for Catwoman’s mask - I myself and others prefer her cowl, though I further prefer her hair coming out of it like from the 70-90s.

I tend to just be mildly anti-domino mask, period, though. I’m okay with them on the current Robin and Nightwing. But otherwise, I think they’re just both a lazy design choice and mildly stupid one given how unconvincing they usually are as disguises. Tim’s Red Robin ID worked with a cowl, while the same ID and the Drake one are worthless when it’s got a domino makes again. Babs has no reason to wear a domino mask at all, nor does Cass or Steph. Jason’s lucky that even his more dubious creative teams have refused to be so simplistic and basic. One of my complaints about TDKR’s Catwoman (even though I still like the character) is the simplicity of her mask and ears.

I’ll also admit I actually liked The Batman's design for her, given the design style of the show. This is the same show that gives Bruce the world’s most awkward chin and cheek bones for a season or two, and tried “straight jacket Sonic” Joker. Her overall ensemble in the show was actually pretty sleek.
    Yeah, even with the ears you could probably have Selina show up in a comic published today in her design for that show and it wouldn’t look particularly out of place in comparison to the designs they used for Joker, Riddler, Bane, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Just landed the Catwoman reviewer gig for Comic-Watch. Can’t wait to post my reviews and see everyone’s thoughts on them.
    Congrats btw.

from Detective Comics Annual #2 (1989)

Never really liked this look with the tail and all.
    Almost makes her look like "Mrs. Mouse Man".

Meoooowwwwww.

Last edited by Gaius; 03-13-2021 at 05:33 PM.