Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Okay, I read in another thread in this board (I want to say the Superman and Lois TV show) that there were issues in my community (African-American) regarding Steel, which is news to me. I must ask what the controversy is (if any or is it just made up stuff)? The legend of John Henry is folklore, and while a bit on the nose in comparison to comparisons of Superman to American folklore characters like Paul Bunyon or even comparisons of Superman to Christ where it can be up to interpretation, I find it cool that a character is based off of an American folk tale. The legend of John Henry is popular enough that I've seen the tale told on an episode of Spongebob Squarepants (of course replacing John Henry with the title character and the machine making burgers instead of railroad). So IS there a controversy regarding John Henry Irons or is it just a comic book community legend?

First time I read about that. From what I know, it supposed than John Henry Irons have inspiration on the folklore legend and their parents named him based on that story. There is the elseworld story, where he is that John Henry . But never ear about some controversy of any kind. I could be wrong, specially now than people is so propense to nontroversies.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I’ve never heard of any controversies, anyone who is black want to chime in? I know one issue people had with the original legend is Henry dies beating the machine, but I’ve never heard any complaints about Steel.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Okay, I read in another thread in this board (I want to say the Superman and Lois TV show) that there were issues in my community (African-American) regarding Steel, which is news to me. I must ask what the controversy is (if any or is it just made up stuff)? The legend of John Henry is folklore, and while a bit on the nose in comparison to comparisons of Superman to American folklore characters like Paul Bunyon or even comparisons of Superman to Christ where it can be up to interpretation, I find it cool that a character is based off of an American folk tale. The legend of John Henry is popular enough that I've seen the tale told on an episode of Spongebob Squarepants (of course replacing John Henry with the title character and the machine making burgers instead of railroad). So IS there a controversy regarding John Henry Irons or is it just a comic book community legend?
    Not that I know of (I'm black as well), the only controversy I know of is the Shaq movie.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    No.

And most folks don't know that because Steel's run is not in trades. At least the issues that reference Steel being named after him.

I doubt folks would have an issue with it. Since so many others have used John Henry as an actual character. The Tristan Strong book series and one of the posters here who has a comic used him.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Nerd question: Do you prefer Steel having changing his armor, (as IronMan) or keeping a more stable image?
    The classic look is iconic and I think it sets him apart from Iron Man by making it feel more tangible. The rivets, the plate, it feels like something a man put together instead of a metaphysical concept of some billionaire genius. It reinforces that he's one of us and that anyone can be Superman if they have the heart to. It also contrasts him with Lex very nicely in that Lex is always SUPER SCIENCE^tm whereas John Henry Irons operates in the tangible while still being brilliant (the morphing mask).

Currently reading the 90's Steel ongoing. I'm also interested in Natasha Irons character. Are there any specific issues that I should look out for? Both in Steel's ongoing and maybe even other titles?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Currently reading the 90's Steel ongoing. I'm also interested in Natasha Irons character. Are there any specific issues that I should look out for? Both in Steel's ongoing and maybe even other titles?
    52 (the series) features a lot of focus on John and Natasha.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Smile

Got to show love for my favorite other "Superman". Sorry Connor, but, John Henry Irons is my second favorite Superman in the Prime Universe.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Wild that once upon a time Larocca was actually a good artist instead of a terrible tracer:

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Got to show love for my favorite other "Superman". Sorry Connor, but, John Henry Irons is my second favorite Superman in the Prime Universe.
    ConnEr forgives you, he thinks John is cool also.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wild that once upon a time Larocca was actually a good artist instead of a terrible tracer:

This is my favorite look for him
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    ConnEr forgives you, he thinks John is cool also.

This is my favorite look for him
    I liked more his 52 (the weekly) armor.

"Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Man I hope Steel gets a Red & Blue story, he actually has the perfect color scheme for it:

I love Steel and I think he has such a cool character design. He needs to be used way more. Has it ever been explained how his mask/helmet works? It’s a metallic mask but his facial features and mouth can move. Liquid metal?!? I know I’m over thinking it but it’s something that intrigues me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I love Steel and I think he has such a cool character design. He needs to be used way more. Has it ever been explained how his mask/helmet works? It’s a metallic mask but his facial features and mouth can move. Liquid metal?!? I know I’m over thinking it but it’s something that intrigues me.
    They actually made his skin liquid Metal in 52. Otherwise though I think it’s meant to be like how Mr. Terrific, Spidey or Black Panther’s masks can “emote”. Would love to see someone go in depth on how his tech works though.