Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m glad Priest was able to bring back Dr. Villain for his Deathstroke run

Nice little surprise. I will never not get his name wrong lol. Other Steel villains have appeared not too long ago as well. Skorpio was in Cullen Bunn's Suicide Squad Annual #1 and Crash appeared in Superwoman.

Incredible Member

According to DC reddit today mark the 28th(?) Year that Steel and Superbly debuted.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    According to DC reddit today mark the 28th(?) Year that Steel and Superbly debuted.
    Happy anniversary! There’s hope that maybe this year Steel will get more acknowledgment, after the Superevent I’m kind of suspecting we might get a Steel miniseries spinning out of it alongside Jon as Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Thsts when I got into comics myself, and still love these characters.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Incredible Member

So I've never really taken an interest in Superman's extended family besides a few characters. But going off the Superman thread I would assume he's in the top 10 important people to the Superman family. He even had the honor of getting a movie though I haven't seen it (also heard it wasn't good).

Can anyone tell me why he's important, what his appeal is, and give some recommendations of what to read for him?

So I've never really taken an interest in Superman's extended family besides a few characters. But going off the Superman thread I would assume he's in the top 10 important people to the Superman family. He even had the honor of getting a movie though I haven't seen it (also heard it wasn't good).

Can anyone tell me why he's important, what his appeal is, and give some recommendations of what to read for him?
    He was the first black member of the Superfamily for one, and debuted in Reign of the Supermen which was one of the last “important” moments in Superman’s history. The appeal is that he’s basically SuperIron Man with a hammer.

Recs:
    Reign of the Supermen
    Steel (ongoing)
    Morrison JLA
    52 (He and Natasha are big players in this series)
    Morrison Action Comics (Sholly Fisch backups with Irons are great)
    Pak Action Comics

PKJ has been teasing that something with Irons is coming, he’s featured prominently on the big spread ad that kicked off the Infinite Frontier era but sadly hasn’t shown up yet. His niece Natasha Irons will be in Morrison Superman & The Authority book, which takes place in the future, but we’re hoping for an ongoing or mini to be announced soon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I recently started grabbing issues of the Schultz Man of Steel run from the late 1990s-early 2000s and its got some pretty cool Steel stuff. Particularly #100 where they rebuild the Fortress of Solitude and establish the Steelworks as a satellite building to the Fortress.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Man I’d love to see the Steelworks again

I miss Irons being the only other guy who could understand how Kryptonian tech worked, now they give that **** to Batman. It would be cool if Irons was the one Kal trusted to adapt Kryptonian tech for more widespread human use, and he was using the basics of said tech for his Steelworks products. Also really loved the Tesseract Fortress:

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Man I’d love to see the Steelworks again

I miss Irons being the only other guy who could understand how Kryptonian tech worked, now they give that **** to Batman. It would be cool if Irons was the one Kal trusted to adapt Kryptonian tech for more widespread human use, and he was using the basics of said tech for his Steelworks products. Also really loved the Tesseract Fortress:

Yeah that was awesome. Plus the portal to the Phantom Zone. I especially like how Steel talks his science jargon and Supes just jokes that its way over his head but he just trusts Steel to get the job done. Cool partnership they had.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I just realized they were basing DCAU Irons on MJ lmao

it's a shame DC doesn't use Steel as much as they could.

I see the other company consistently pushing a variety of characters who should be in John's tier with great success.

Oh well
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    it's a shame DC doesn't use Steel as much as they could.

I see the other company consistently pushing a variety of characters who should be in John's tier with great success.

Oh well
    DC is going to DC, unfortunately. They love snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Steel was pretty prominent in the Infinite Frontier Superman family promo, so hopefully there’s a storyline coming up where he’s heavily featured. Mongul was also in the image and he’s been appearing a lot lately. Hopefully that’s a sign of things to come for John Henry.

I would love to see his relationship with Lana Lang rekindled.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Steel was pretty prominent in the Infinite Frontier Superman family promo, so hopefully there’s a storyline coming up where he’s heavily featured. Mongul was also in the image and he’s been appearing a lot lately. Hopefully that’s a sign of things to come for John Henry.

I would love to see his relationship with Lana Lang rekindled.
    Seriously I want to see that romance with Lana explored. There’s a ton to unpack there that could be great fun. Priest talked about on his blog as approaching Steel as a way to gleefully deconstruct and play with the Superman mythos and Steel dating Clark’s childhood romance, his own LL, feels like a perfect way to approach an analysis of the iconic Superman/Lois relationship. That John isn’t Clark and Lana isn’t Lois is the whole appeal to me. John was the one who best embodied Superman’s ideals during Reign of the Supermen though, so even though his mindset and approach are different, his nature as a moral man who wields power in service to others is still present and key to who he is.

Right now I’ve been thinking over different ways to differentiate Irons from the other DC super geniuses. Need to give it some more thought as to what his unique traits in comparison to the others should be.

Seriously I want to see that romance with Lana explored. There’s a ton to unpack there that could be great fun. Priest talked about on his blog as approaching Steel as a way to gleefully deconstruct and play with the Superman mythos and Steel dating Clark’s childhood romance, his own LL, feels like a perfect way to approach an analysis of the iconic Superman/Lois relationship. That John isn’t Clark and Lana isn’t Lois is the whole appeal to me. John was the one who best embodied Superman’s ideals during Reign of the Supermen though, so even though his mindset and approach are different, his nature as a moral man who wields power in service to others is still present and key to who he is.

Right now I’ve been thinking over different ways to differentiate Irons from the other DC super geniuses. Need to give it some more thought as to what his unique traits in comparison to the others should be.
    Why do you always say the right things lol? This is all perfect and makes me want to re-read Superwoman.