Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
    I can't afford to collect all of the originals. I wish DC hadn't pulled the plug on Archives after only 2 Garrick Flash books. There are enough stories to easily fill 10-15 books (2-3 omnibuses), but I just don't know if there are enough people out there that would buy them.
    Well, to be honest, much as I love much of the Golden Age stuff, I don't know if there's truly enough of an audience to support more Archive volumes. And back then, the quality of the writing and artwork could be tad uneven, not to mention the question of whether DC has suitable copies of all those Golden Age stories to reproduce..

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Well look who’s back on TV...in a flashback for Stargirl season 2 but still it’s glad to know that this actor pretty much has the Jay Garrick role on lock.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/stargirl...set-to-appear/
    Hell yes!!
    ANY usage of JWS is cause for celebration!
    Hiring him to appear in the Flash and then being smart enough to expand his role was one of the things the CW Flash series got right.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, to be honest, much as I love much of the Golden Age stuff, I don't know if there's truly enough of an audience to support more Archive volumes. And back then, the quality of the writing and artwork could be tad uneven, not to mention the question of whether DC has suitable copies of all those Golden Age stories to reproduce..
    The other problem that I think about sometimes is this: I remember the first GA Flash that I bought had multiple instances of African-American characters being portrayed in very stereotypical negative ways. It runs a slippery slope for DC. If they print that stuff, they run the risk of alienating people, because a lot of it is racist. If they clean it up and edit that stuff out, then they have doctored the original and it could upset the GA diehards that want things to be preserved exactly as they happened. So, it could be the safest approach for DC is to just keep their hands off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
    The other problem that I think about sometimes is this: I remember the first GA Flash that I bought had multiple instances of African-American characters being portrayed in very stereotypical negative ways. It runs a slippery slope for DC. If they print that stuff, they run the risk of alienating people, because a lot of it is racist. If they clean it up and edit that stuff out, then they have doctored the original and it could upset the GA diehards that want things to be preserved exactly as they happened. So, it could be the safest approach for DC is to just keep their hands off of it.
    I think you go with it as it was if you reprint it, but address the non-PC stuff in the introduction by pointing out that's the way things unfortunately were back then.

Will that make everybody happy? Probably not. But if you place things in the proper context, it may be the least offensive solution to the problems.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

lf.jpg
    10char
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    lf.jpg
    10char
    This issue is still on my dollar box hunt list. I believe from the Shade Mini-Series.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

JAY 1.jpgAlways been s fan of Jay the Helmet is so cool hopefully we'll get a JSA Title in the near future,

JAY 2.jpgWhat if Jay had a Son.but imnstead of having Speed based powers his Power set would be Air Manipulation similar to the Red Tornado.

I kind of hoped that at after reading how Jay and his wife lost their adopted son, always sad to read, that when a crisis event would happen and rewrite the universe that Spectre or Dr. Fate would just do a little something to let Jay have a kid. But then that messes with a lot of continuity, especially with Infinity Inc.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I like Jay and Joan adopting Bart...and, well, Jay playing a mentor/father figure to all the Flashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    lf.jpg
    10char
    I love the Shade's man-crush on Jay .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I love the Shade's man-crush on Jay .
    And let's not forget the Golden Age Jay appearance in The Shade's New52 12-issue series that never was . . .

Incredible Member

I liked Jay on JSA World War II. He taught some skills to Barry and also learnt some tricks from him.

Uh hey this may be a big question but I felt it needed asking after the Stargirl spring break special.

spoilers:
    Who is Judy Garrick?
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Uh hey this may be a big question but I felt it needed asking after the Stargirl spring break special.

spoilers:
    Who is Judy Garrick?
    end of spoilers
    Not having had a chance to get to the comic book shop yet (and not sure how soon I'll be able to make it at present), I have no idea what / how that person was referenced in the story or who that is. It's not a name I remember hearing in the past offhand, and in an on-line search I found this reference in a review:
    spoilers:
    And, that’s not all- throughout the course of the story we are teased with the existence of a time-lost character named Judy Garrick. This should raise eyebrows for fans of the Golden Age Flash.
    end of spoilers

https://dccomicsnews.com/2021/05/25/...eak-special-1/