Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    His name might be Wildcat but Hippolyta is the cougar. XD
    Niiiiiiice

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Hippolyta goes full Mrs. Robinson on the male members of the JL.

"Queen Hippolyta, are you trying to seduce us?"

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    We've hardly seen them do anything with her and Philippus as a couple because there's not a lot to do with them as a couple. What, they've not been together for thousands of years and suddenly form an attraction? Or they've been together for thousands of years and suddenly break-up? Okay, then what? After the first few centuries on an isolated island I'd imagine they'd know each other very well regardless of either scenario. Where's the conflict?
    They could just have always been together since arriving on the island and be considered Diana's parents (seems to be what they went for in Rebirth). Hippolyta should be bisexual, but I don't see any reason for them not to be together by the time of the origin story or why there needs to be conflict between them. They are supporting players who spend the majority of the time on the island away from Diana anyway. Is controversial relationship drama for the heroine's mother a big selling point?

We already have Diana as an Amazon who is bisexual and whose main love interest is a man. If they want more bisexual or heterosexual Amazons, there are a copious amount of them not being used that should be. For example, barely anything is done with Antiope's love life. She could be written as straight, maybe she could get a male love interest who isn't Theseus? Including a fling with Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    We've hardly seen them do anything with her and Philippus as a couple because there's not a lot to do with them as a couple. What, they've not been together for thousands of years and suddenly form an attraction? Or they've been together for thousands of years and suddenly break-up? Okay, then what? After the first few centuries on an isolated island I'd imagine they'd know each other very well regardless of either scenario. Where's the conflict?
    How to raise Diana. Opening Themyscira to the outside world vs remaining isolated. Should they have more children. Does Philippus feel like Diana is closer to Hippolyta than her? Issues over past dalliances with Heracles.

I came up with these in under three minutes.

And even then, romantic chemistry is far more important than conflict. The first and most important question about a relationship is "do these characters fit?" not "what can I make them fight about?".

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Hippolyta goes full Mrs. Robinson on the male members of the JL.

"Queen Hippolyta, are you trying to seduce us?"
    Is she really a cougar if Wildcat is already pretty old himself?

We already have Diana as an Amazon who is bisexual and whose main love interest is a man.
    Not to mention Donna, Cassie, Artemis and Nubia have all been paired with male characters.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-01-2021 at 11:33 AM.

I find Philippus as written to be kind of a boring character.

I don't know if you guys do this but I like to find real people that embody these characters I read. To me Hippolyta is best embodied by Fiona Apple. Her music feels sort of a cold resentment of those that seek to hurts others in the world, but she also has this really bright and humorous side to her to her in certain interviews. I think Hippolyta should be with someone like the poet Nikki Giovanni in the poem "Ego Tripling". Someone that embodies coolness and total consuming confidence.

I am a gazelle so swift
    so swift you can't catch me

For a birthday present when he was three
    I gave my son hannibal an elephant
    He gave me rome for mother's day
    My strength flows ever on

Last edited by Alpha; 05-01-2021 at 12:27 PM.

And to me this is Hippolyta.

-I don't think the Hippolyta/Phillipus relationship has gotten enough focus for it to be played out. DC still plays it safe and around the margins when it comes to their LGBT characters.

-I think of Hippolyta/Phillipus as the main ship but I think of Polly as bi and open to relationship with others. I'll reserve judgement on her and Adam but I like her and Wildcat together as well. Though it's not lost on me that it works for the same reason that Diana/Steve, Diana/Batman, Big Barda/Scott and Huntress/Question works. It's the bad ass warrior chick teaming up with the under powered normal hero dynamic.

Diana meeting Wildcat and Alan Scott.

ww13-16.jpg

With Philippus surviving the Snyder Cut and Jenkins using that as canon (if she even acknowledges the other movies much at all), I'd like her to do more with Philippus in WW3.

Hippolyta has had time to shine in the WW films, but I feel of the two sisters Antiope was more important in both films so far. I'd like Hippolyta to get more time to shine (Circe being the villain and a past rivalry between them could help) for the final installment. Including stuff with Philippus as her consort. They'd have to film it in such a way that they could edit it down for China, but still.

With Philippus surviving the Snyder Cut and Jenkins using that as canon (if she even acknowledges the other movies much at all), I'd like her to do more with Philippus in WW3.

Hippolyta has had time to shine in the WW films, but I feel of the two sisters Antiope was more important in both films so far. I'd like Hippolyta to get more time to shine (Circe being the villain and a past rivalry between them could help) for the final installment. Including stuff with Philippus as her consort. They'd have to film it in such a way that they could edit it down for China, but still.
    Didn't the Snyder Cut also call the wrong Amazon Philippus? Am I remembering that correctly?

Also the Amazon movie would be a nice way to flesh out Philippus.

None of the Amazons in the films outside of Hippolyta and Antiope really got much focus that it isn't exactly universe breaking if one who were told died in JL pops up fine in a WW solo film, so yeah I'd hope Philipus and some of other Amazons get some spotlight in another WW film.

I hope with Historia, DeConnick could flesh out Hippolyta/Philipus' relationship. Being Black Label, I imagine DC would let some stuff fly there they wouldn't in one of their regular comics.

Didn't the Snyder Cut also call the wrong Amazon Philippus? Am I remembering that correctly?

Also the Amazon movie would be a nice way to flesh out Philippus.
    Yeah, some white Amazons was named Philippus, even though I'm pretty sure Philippus herself is in the first Amazons scene (she was the one who approached the box and told the others to get Hippolyta). I guess we can have two Amazons with the same name?

RIP Euboea though. That sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    None of the Amazons in the films outside of Hippolyta and Antiope really got much focus that it isn't exactly universe breaking if one who were told died in JL pops up fine in a WW solo film, so yeah I'd hope Philipus and some of other Amazons get some spotlight in another WW film.

I hope with Historia, DeConnick could flesh out Hippolyta/Philipus' relationship. Being Black Label, I imagine DC would let some stuff fly there they wouldn't in one of their regular comics.
    Well Jimenez clearly considers them a couple in that profile, so hopefully that pans out in one of the issues themselves.

The confirmation that Philippus is in the Demeter tribe makes me wonder if Hippolyta is. Because some of the images show her standing in a pool of snakes with a ghostly image of Demeter overlooking her, and the shot he teased of her in her armor has her standing near some grains, with her armor depicting lost of flowers, snakes and a woman holding grains/flowers. I would prefer Hippolyta be part of the Aphrodite faction as a homage to the Golden Age stuff, but the Demeter connection is also interesting. It could be because she wears the Girdle of Gaia, Demeter is the goddesses most closely associated with Gaia's old purview, and in the Perez run Hellene compared Hippolyta and Diana to Demeter and Persephone.

I imagine Antiope would be in that faction as well.

Incredible Member

I feel like people don't talk about Theseus, how DC ignores him and Hippolytus

Last edited by Lucas 35; 05-01-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Yeah, some white Amazons was named Philippus, even though I'm pretty sure Philippus herself is in the first Amazons scene (she was the one who approached the box and told the others to get Hippolyta). I guess we can have two Amazons with the same name?

RIP Euboea though. That sucked.

Well Jimenez clearly considers them a couple in that profile, so hopefully that pans out in one of the issues themselves.

The confirmation that Philippus is in the Demeter tribe makes me wonder if Hippolyta is. Because some of the images show her standing in a pool of snakes with a ghostly image of Demeter overlooking her, and the shot he teased of her in her armor has her standing near some grains, with her armor depicting lost of flowers, snakes and a woman holding grains/flowers. I would prefer Hippolyta be part of the Aphrodite faction as a homage to the Golden Age stuff, but the Demeter connection is also interesting. It could be because she wears the Girdle of Gaia, Demeter is the goddesses most closely associated with Gaia's old purview, and in the Perez run Hellene compared Hippolyta and Diana to Demeter and Persephone.

I imagine Antiope would be in that faction as well.
    Huh, don't how I missed that but yeah, there are parallels between the Demeter-Persephone myth and Hippolyta-Diana's relationship.

I imagine you're probably right about Demeter, I'd prefer Aphrodite or Athena like you, though the images he shared could be Demeter just "reviving" her since it seems to be taking inspiration from Perez's version of the creation of the Amazons.

Do like how each faction seems to have powers that Diana will have later. That's a cool addition.
    Last edited by Gaius; 05-01-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Huh, don't how I missed that but yeah, there are parallels between the Demeter-Persephone myth and Hippolyta-Diana's relationship.

I imagine you're probably right about Demeter, I'd prefer Aphrodite or Athena like you, though the images he shared could be Demeter just "reviving" her since it seems to be taking inspiration from Perez's version of the creation of the Amazons.

Do like how each faction seems to have powers that Diana will have later. That's a cool addition.
    The Demeter faction likely has the super strength, so I think that adds likelihood to Hippolyta being in that group. Of all the powers for her to have, that seems to be the most fitting for the queen who defeats Heracles.

Are the Aphrodite faction just the hot ones? And Hera never gave a power, so I wonder what that faction will have