Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

An untold tale in Danny's past. Misty tried to teach him how to do undercover work.

He once tried to attend business school offscreen. Another untold tale that feels like an college age urban fantasy setup.

Danny resumes his socially conscious business man routine while trying to rebuild his relationship with his half sister Miranda.

Danny tries to get back into dating longterm. So we'll have a romantic subplot with another superheroine like Tigra, Emma Frost, Elsa Bloodstone, Janet Van Dyne, Dazzler, Crystal, Frenzy, Nightshade, Psylocke etc. These could be either longterm or shortterm depending on how long I last as writer .

He also joins either SWORD or SHIELD. We will retitle it "Danny Rand: Agent of__________".

He becomes the PE teacher for Strange Academy.

Brisson had him team up with the Midnight Sons. If they ever get a title I'd have Danny join as our POV character.

I thought about him trying learn magic at Kamar Taj.

Another untold tale is him tracking down a cold case about his mother. It's a teamup with Jessica Jones.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-12-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I would cynically wager that the best hope/option in the short term would be for Pei to become Iron Fist with Danny as her support and then share (eg Spider-Men etc)

The alternative is that Iron Fist just got ‘punished’ like the Inhumans, or that the decks are being cleared for some radical reworking that benefits no one
    I stopped following everything Inhumans related when Marvel tried to make them the new X-Men so sorry for a dumb question, but how were they punished? Marvel is pretending that they don't exist anymore or what?

As for Danny, I also think that it wouldn't be very difficult to make some changes to his mythology to remove "problematic" elements from it. Problem, I think, is that Marvel might think that its not worth it? TV show didn't really work out and while he often gets a mini or an ongoing it usually does not last very long. So you know, maybe better to focus on other, more profitable properties. Shang-Chi, rightfully, is getting more attention now so Marvel might as well think that they should focus on that when it comes to kung-fu series.

It is a shame really, I think that first half of Immortal Iron First did a great job of expanding Danny's world and altered some of the problematic elements, but Marvel never really managed to deliver a proper follow up to what Brubaker/Fraction/Aja started. I remember back then I pretty much thought that the sky is the limit, but I feel like every subsequent run has actually made his world smaller.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I stopped following everything Inhumans related when Marvel tried to make them the new X-Men so sorry for a dumb question, but how were they punished? Marvel is pretending that they don't exist anymore or what?

As for Danny, I also think that it wouldn't be very difficult to make some changes to his mythology to remove "problematic" elements from it. Problem, I think, is that Marvel might think that its not worth it? TV show didn't really work out and while he often gets a mini or an ongoing it usually does not last very long. So you know, maybe better to focus on other, more profitable properties. Shang-Chi, rightfully, is getting more attention now so Marvel might as well think that they should focus on that when it comes to kung-fu series.

It is a shame really, I think that first half of Immortal Iron First did a great job of expanding Danny's world and altered some of the problematic elements, but Marvel never really managed to deliver a proper follow up to what Brubaker/Fraction/Aja started. I remember back then I pretty much thought that the sky is the limit, but I feel like every subsequent run has actually made his world smaller.
    The Inhumans were 'punished', by having a bunch of the new ones randomly killed. I think their city was even moved out of New York off screen, and we're back to it just mostly being the Royal Family.

Which is stupid, IMO. IP takes up no physical space, and some people liked the series. Just move them to Maine or Florida, lol.

As for Brubaker's run, did it really resolve any problematic elements, or just add more? Instead of one faux Asian city, we have seven more

From what I remember it addressed patriarchy and one of the female characters whose name now I forgot was set up to run it, no?

As for more cities, I think the problem is not how many there are, but what they are, no? They barely provided any details about them and following writers could have defined them however they wanted.

Extraordinary Member

Well as for getting rid of problematic tropes. No one has resurrected Master Khan and brought him back to use, despite being a major antagonist for early Iron Fist stories.

Astonishing Member

Currently, Danny Rand has lost the power of the Iron Fist, so we can assume its new host will be someone who will join the Avengers and gather all the powers from the Old Avengers. You know, Odin, Phoenix, Starbrand, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider.... Who do you think could be the next Iron Fist?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The Inhumans were 'punished', by having a bunch of the new ones randomly killed. I think their city was even moved out of New York off screen, and we're back to it just mostly being the Royal Family.

Which is stupid, IMO. IP takes up no physical space, and some people liked the series. Just move them to Maine or Florida, lol.

As for Brubaker's run, did it really resolve any problematic elements, or just add more? Instead of one faux Asian city, we have seven more
    Brubaker co-wrote the first 16 issues with Fraction. Duane Swierczynski took over after #16 and continued till the series end at 27.

It did try to resolve the White Savior by making Iron Fist a legacy title and Danny was the 2nd outsider to have the title. Ironically the first 16 issues were more about worldbuilding than characterization. Danny's personality is better explored in the Swiercynski era than with Brubaker/Fraction. It did build up Danny's lore and Marvel did try to explore the other Immortal Weapons in another miniseries.

Your Mileage May Vary in terms of quality/execution. Immortal Iron fist was not Brubaker's best Marvel work and he left to do creator owned work. So maybe we just caught him on his way out?

Fraction did use Danny after Immortal Iron Fist's end but nothing came off it other than a few cameos.

I'd be down for an Asian American writer tackling Danny. Like Greg Pak, Gene Yang, Mariko Tamaki or the writer of the Good Asian (I don't want to butcher it). They might be better equipped to handle the White Savior controversy. That critique is more common in Asian American circles than in the larger fandom.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-14-2021 at 06:37 PM.

The main issue with Danny is that Iron Fist was not created with much thought to what would happen after his vengeance arc was concluded. No thought was given to how he would operate as a super-hero - his costume, whilst fine in the arena context it debuted in, is lacking some basic practicalities for a super-hero: the slippers look impractical, and Danny lacks anything like Daredevil's billy club which can fire a line for DD to swing on to move about the city - something I think as a super-hero patrolling a city he could do with. K'un-Lun , though a cool concept for a backstory and the occasional adventure, is too far removed from the real world for a Marvel hero these days. So who is Danny/Iron Fist? is he a New York super-hero? Or a defender of a fantasy city? Or a globetrotting kung fu adventurer?

I've just watched the Korean action drama The Uncanny Counter. Very well done, some super-powered martial arts fights, but not so much that the show revolved around them. What TUC did have going for it which the Iron Fist Netflix series did not is that it had a very clear idea idea of what the heroes did and why they did it (they patrolled the city looking for people possessed by demons, and for most this job was in exchange for being revived from a comatose state), and it even dealt with the main character's battle to control his anger at the murder of his parents and his need for revenge. I wish the Iron Fist show had been as well thought out and well-cast as this.

Iron Fist needs a clear mission statement, a clear identity, and a real reason for why he does what he does, something he really doesn't have at the moment. The 'white saviour' aspect was never something emphasised when I read IF as a kid, and wasn't part of his stories when they were centred in NY. If the writers can't get past that, they don't have a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The main issue with Danny is that Iron Fist was not created with much thought to what would happen after his vengeance arc was concluded. No thought was given to how he would operate as a super-hero - his costume, whilst fine in the arena context it debuted in, is lacking some basic practicalities for a super-hero: the slippers look impractical, and Danny lacks anything like Daredevil's billy club which can fire a line for DD to swing on to move about the city - something I think as a super-hero patrolling a city he could do with. K'un-Lun , though a cool concept for a backstory and the occasional adventure, is too far removed from the real world for a Marvel hero these days. So who is Danny/Iron Fist? is he a New York super-hero? Or a defender of a fantasy city? Or a globetrotting kung fu adventurer?

I've just watched the Korean action drama The Uncanny Counter. Very well done, some super-powered martial arts fights, but not so much that the show revolved around them. What TUC did have going for it which the Iron Fist Netflix series did not is that it had a very clear idea idea of what the heroes did and why they did it (they patrolled the city looking for people possessed by demons, and for most this job was in exchange for being revived from a comatose state), and it even dealt with the main character's battle to control his anger at the murder of his parents and his need for revenge. I wish the Iron Fist show had been as well thought out and well-cast as this.

Iron Fist needs a clear mission statement, a clear identity, and a real reason for why he does what he does, something he really doesn't have at the moment. The 'white saviour' aspect was never something emphasised when I read IF as a kid, and wasn't part of his stories when they were centred in NY. If the writers can't get past that, they don't have a character.
    Agreed bro. Over the past 15 years of Iron Fist's renewal at Marvel, I still can't get a bead on him personality-wise. What is the core of this character? Why does he fight? Is he a New York superhero, defender of K'un Lun, an adventurer? Does he make quips like Spider-Man? Is he pulpy like Daredevil? Again, if anyone does anything new with Danny, you have to understand his core.

In other Iron Fist new, watched some interesting clips about the Iron Fist show. One is an interview Scott Adkins did with Lewis Tan on the "Art of Action" YouTube series:

https://youtu.be/KzfveEniE7A

And the other is from Corridor Crew's Stuntmen React:

https://youtu.be/2TL_OUvTMFg

Both feature segments that discuss the Netflix Iron Fist show. Both bring up this issue of lack of preparation with the show. Things were just done super quickly or some actors were not prepared for their fight scenes. Not for nothing, Lewis Tan and the stunt/fight choreography folks were ready and prepared for the series. Unfortunately, others were not. Hence why season 1 wasn't the best.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

I think he's the defender of New York currently that might be more interesting if they moved him to another city. It's not like NY is hurting for superheroes.

Him doing the globe trotting adventurer thing could be fun. You could put him with SHIELD or SWORD and that's an additional source of conflict.

Him exploring Kun Lun could also be fun but you would have to develop Kun Lun more. Immortal Iron Fist gave Danny a portal he could use. So he's not stuck waiting ten or so years for the gate to open.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-20-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Mighty Member

Seeing the latest Shang Chi trailer and how it feels more of a mystical kung fu story, makes me hope we can get the REAL Iron Fist in the sequel. That series does not exist.

#onecanonlyhope

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post

Seeing the latest Shang Chi trailer and how it feels more of a mystical kung fu story, makes me hope we can get the REAL Iron Fist in the sequel. That series does not exist.

#onecanonlyhope
    Thinking it over, yes, I feel that these elements should have been used with Iron Fist. I hold out that we can still see an Iron Fist something in the future. As for the comics, I'm really hoping that Danny gets his iron fist powers back. I hope that Shang gets the ten rings as well. Because THEN we will have this awesome DBZ-esque fight where Danny and Shang can go all out with their powers and abilities! We saw a hint of that back during the Battleworlds mini-series:

"I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Thinking it over, yes, I feel that these elements should have been used with Iron Fist. I hold out that we can still see an Iron Fist something in the future. As for the comics, I'm really hoping that Danny gets his iron fist powers back. I hope that Shang gets the ten rings as well. Because THEN we will have this awesome DBZ-esque fight where Danny and Shang can go all out with their powers and abilities! We saw a hint of that back during the Battleworlds mini-series:

He should pop up in the Shang-Chi comic. I'm curious how Yang would handle him. Having Danny pop up as the last teamup/fight could be fun.

Plus he might be better equipped to deal with the White Savior controversy. It's better Marvel's deals with that complaint than ignore it.

Even if that isn't Danny's biggest problem. I agree with Panic- no one's ever figured out what to do with Danny as a character.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-27-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Mighty Member

Since Danny Rand no longer has the Iron Fist, I guess it will be a while before he is featured in any comic stories. Maybe he will eventually show up in Shang Chi's comic since they are sort of doing a world tour type of story in the current arc.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Since Danny Rand no longer has the Iron Fist, I guess it will be a while before he is featured in any comic stories. Maybe he will eventually show up in Shang Chi's comic since they are sort of doing a world tour type of story in the current arc.
    I'm getting a feeling Danny and the Iron Fist will pop up over in Jason Aaron's Avengers run. He's building up a team of Avengers composed of legacy characters. Perhaps the title will crown a new Iron Fist there? Maybe. In any case, I just hope Danny isn't forgotten in this mix.

In other Iron Fist news, Brett Chan, who was the fight choreographer on the first season of Iron Fist, has had this to say about the series. This comes from here https://screenrant.com/iron-fist-sea...stunt-problem/:

“I got slammed by a lot of people after that came out. Johnny and myself were doing 21, 22 hour days trying to make it work, and having the directors go, “Uh, no,” or Marvel saying, “Uh, no.” Everyone’s fighting and the actor doesn’t want to train. And [it was] like, guys, throw me a bone, give me something to work with. That’s why the best sequences were with Jessica Henwick. She trained four hours a day and she had zero martial arts experience.”
    Again, I'm hearing that some actors didn't prepare. The insinuation is that it was Finn. I've supported the guy in the past. I still think (and I'm in the minority here) that his acting was good for the series. But if you're playing a martial arts character, one of the best in the Marvel Universe by the way, you best be good at martial arts. Yes, there may have been other circumstances on Marvel's part, but ultimately the actor is responsible for the training.
    "I am a man of peace."