Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I'm so excited to read the first issue of this new Iron Fist miniseries -- and almost equally excited to come back here later today to discuss it with everyone!

-Pav, who loves what he's seen from the preview so far...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Always nice to see Danny, but I'm not keen on that art.

Some art from around the web:

While I did really enjoy this issue, wasn't Pei in high school when we saw her last? Here she's being written like she's 6 or 7.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    While I did really enjoy this issue, wasn't Pei in high school when we saw her last? Here she's being written like she's 6 or 7.
    I strongly suspect that Hama wasn't given the last couple of digital Iron Fist series. It would also explain the Shou-Lao situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I strongly suspect that Hama wasn't given the last couple of digital Iron Fist series. It would also explain the Shou-Lao situation.
    Indeed. The issue seemed anachronistic in a way. Like all of the characters and elements are all from the last 15 or so years, but they sounded like they came out of an issue from the 1980s. It was a weird reading Danny speak so eloquently and monk-like after reading him go ".....wait, what?" for over a decade. It's not bad though. I accept it.

Indeed, things seemed odd, but still enjoyable. I've been on a recent 80s/90s kick for the past couple of weeks and the series reminds me of those simpler times. It's functional, but doesn't have too much pizzazz. Danny's fights during this series were in that same vein, functional, but not reaching those epic levels of kickass, y'know? And yeah, Pei seemed REALLY young in this series. She was in middle school last time we saw her. I mean yeah, middle school Asian girls can be small, but not that small. (Definitely laughed out loud though with her playing hide and seek with Luke. Great personality there.)

It's a decent read. Interesting to see more aspects of Chinese religion and philosophy incorporated into the Iron Fist mythos. I'm on board for the rest of the series!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Indeed. The issue seemed anachronistic in a way. Like all of the characters and elements are all from the last 15 or so years, but they sounded like they came out of an issue from the 1980s. It was a weird reading Danny speak so eloquently and monk-like after reading him go ".....wait, what?" for over a decade. It's not bad though. I accept it.

Indeed, things seemed odd, but still enjoyable. I've been on a recent 80s/90s kick for the past couple of weeks and the series reminds me of those simpler times. It's functional, but doesn't have too much pizzazz. Danny's fights during this series were in that same vein, functional, but not reaching those epic levels of kickass, y'know? And yeah, Pei seemed REALLY young in this series. She was in middle school last time we saw her. I mean yeah, middle school Asian girls can be small, but not that small. (Definitely laughed out loud though with her playing hide and seek with Luke. Great personality there.)

It's a decent read. Interesting to see more aspects of Chinese religion and philosophy incorporated into the Iron Fist mythos. I'm on board for the rest of the series!
    The inconsistency of Pei's age was the only thing that really took me out of the issue. She seemed to go from pre-teen to kindergartner -- but I figure, if that's the worst thing about the issue, that's not so bad. It's not like Marvel hasn't been inconsistent with kids' ages before -- it's almost a common feature of Marvel comics! But I do look forward to Pei's age-range being firmly established as she becomes a more well-known character. I'm pleased that Hama chose to include her in this story.

In fact -- though others may disagree -- I'm really happy to see elements of Kaare Andrews' Iron Fist stories continuing to be utilized. I know not everyone loved his work, but I think he added some really interesting elements -- especially characters like Pei and Fooh, the latter of whom I didn't expect to see again anytime soon.

It's only the first issue, but it sort of felt like a comfortable mix of the Andrews run and the Brisson run, especially regarding the art. And I liked both runs, so a sorta mix-combination of the two is a sweet spot, as far as I'm concerned. Another example: I think this issue gave us my favorite portrayal of Gork, both in terms of art and characterization.

The hook of the series -- that Danny has to travel to the Immortal Cities to save all the dragons from being killed -- is a fun one, and I'm simultaneously stoked that while we get to venture into the more mythical realms, we also got some street-level stuff with the inclusion of Taskmaster, Lady Bullseye, and Luke. Looks like next issue, we get more of the Immortal Weapons, which is always a treat.

All in all, I feel like this issue gave me pretty much everything I want in an Iron Fist comic. The only thing it lacked, perhaps, is some really kickass fighting scenes and some of Danny's humor. Still, if this is what we can expect for the next few months, consider me a happy camper.

-Pav, who wonders what villain might be behind it all...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The inconsistency of Pei's age was the only thing that really took me out of the issue. She seemed to go from pre-teen to kindergartner -- but I figure, if that's the worst thing about the issue, that's not so bad. It's not like Marvel hasn't been inconsistent with kids' ages before -- it's almost a common feature of Marvel comics! But I do look forward to Pei's age-range being firmly established as she becomes a more well-known character. I'm pleased that Hama chose to include her in this story.

In fact -- though others may disagree -- I'm really happy to see elements of Kaare Andrews' Iron Fist stories continuing to be utilized. I know not everyone loved his work, but I think he added some really interesting elements -- especially characters like Pei and Fooh, the latter of whom I didn't expect to see again anytime soon.

It's only the first issue, but it sort of felt like a comfortable mix of the Andrews run and the Brisson run, especially regarding the art. And I liked both runs, so a sorta mix-combination of the two is a sweet spot, as far as I'm concerned. Another example: I think this issue gave us my favorite portrayal of Gork, both in terms of art and characterization.

The hook of the series -- that Danny has to travel to the Immortal Cities to save all the dragons from being killed -- is a fun one, and I'm simultaneously stoked that while we get to venture into the more mythical realms, we also got some street-level stuff with the inclusion of Taskmaster, Lady Bullseye, and Luke. Looks like next issue, we get more of the Immortal Weapons, which is always a treat.

All in all, I feel like this issue gave me pretty much everything I want in an Iron Fist comic. The only thing it lacked, perhaps, is some really kickass fighting scenes and some of Danny's humor. Still, if this is what we can expect for the next few months, consider me a happy camper.

-Pav, who wonders what villain might be behind it all...
    Agreed on a lot of parts here Pav. I'm happy too that there are elements of Andrews' and Brisson's runs found in the story. Fooh and Pei both brought some humor here. (Fun fact, that stance that Pei uses for one of the scenes? That's a real Kung Fu stance! Seven Praying Mantis stance. Great!) As for the art, it was good. It was clear and understandable. We got to see enough of Danny using the Iron Fist which was cool.
    Still, his face and neck looked a little too wide.

Taskmaster and Lady Bullseye were welcome additions. They're always great street level characters. BUt their personalities seemed a little off, Taskmaster's especially. He seemed a little too eloquent, not the street tough that he can be. Part of me sees that the two characters are interchangeable. Put in two other hench people (Crossbones, Batroc, etc.) in there and it would have read the same.

Still, it feels like an old school story wrapped in modern day clothing. I notice the incongruities, but appreciate the storytelling nonetheless. Looking forward to next issue.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Bruce Rand the Invincible Shadow Fist by Phil Cho. An amalgamation of Bruce Wayne and Danny Rand.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Iron Fist by Mike McKone:

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Bruce Rand the Invincible Shadow Fist by Phil Cho. An amalgamation of Bruce Wayne and Danny Rand.
    I'm curious who his villians are .

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm curious who his villians are .
    The Laughing Serpent?
    Ra's Al Khan?
    The Sabertooth Penguin?

well if you could do a real villain with that look and not have it be "bruce rand", go for it... what would be the source of his power? a demon bat?

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The Laughing Serpent?
    Ra's Al Khan?
    The Sabertooth Penguin?

I thought off Davos being more like Bane but yeah that works.

The Meachums could be the Penguin or Hush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    well if you could do a real villain with that look and not have it be "bruce rand", go for it... what would be the source of his power? a demon bat?
    Sure.

I'm hoping Al Ewing or Christopher Cantwell gets a crack at a future Iron Fist solo.