Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 100
  1. #46
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,520

    Default

    A little off-topic, but martial arts related so worth mentioning for those interested:
    “Warrior” Renewed & Moving To HBO Max
    The fights are pretty good, and the plot has been pretty compelling, too.

  2. #47
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    2,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    WELL

    WELL

    WELL.

    What an issue!

    So much revealed! So much left to figure out!

    Definitely the best issue of the miniseries so far.

    I can't wait to see what you all think of it.

    -Pav, who adores the Spider Dragon...
    Hmm, well, I think it had good moments bro. Some deep ones too. If anyone understands the mythology behind Quan Yin, they'd get some of the earlier scenes. Some of the things that threw me off were the dialogue (there's some weird world usage here) and pacing. Danny and the rest were in one part of the world, then moved to another, and then boom, something happened again. So those things were jarring.

    However, there were a lot of good moments. It was great to see spoilers:
    Brenda Swanson
    end of spoilers again. Hama retold that character's backstory pretty well. Also the fight in Rio was nice. Fooh with his boomstick and Pei with her sword were fun. Okoye doing what she did at the end was confusing. I guess I'm still wrapping my head regarding what is going on in the book.

    Overall though, I liked.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  3. #48
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    2,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    A little off-topic, but martial arts related so worth mentioning for those interested:
    “Warrior” Renewed & Moving To HBO Max
    The fights are pretty good, and the plot has been pretty compelling, too.
    Ha, heard the news today as well bro. Seen clips of the show here and there, but haven't watched it yet. Will do so soon.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  4. #49

    Default

    Fooh reminds me of a human version of Rocket and I liked it.

    I saw Okoye becoming the flip of Brenda. That was my take because of the yin yang focus.

  5. #50
    Incredible Member strathcona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hmm, well, I think it had good moments bro. Some deep ones too. If anyone understands the mythology behind Quan Yin, they'd get some of the earlier scenes. Some of the things that threw me off were the dialogue (there's some weird world usage here) and pacing. Danny and the rest were in one part of the world, then moved to another, and then boom, something happened again. So those things were jarring.
    Agreed. The whole group was together to get the spider-dragon. Then Iron Fist, Bride and Fooh drop it off with Pinpoint. They go through a portal to Rio where Luke and the others (who were just with them 1 page ago) act like they've been apart for a long time. Then three pages later Prince of Orphans brings the spider-dragon back to them... why even other with the Pinpoint page?

    Besides that, I liked it though. I do wonder what is going on with Brenda (didn't see that coming) and Okoye.

  6. #51
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    A little off-topic, but martial arts related so worth mentioning for those interested:
    “Warrior” Renewed & Moving To HBO Max
    The fights are pretty good, and the plot has been pretty compelling, too.
    Love the show, even if the main character is a bigger douche than Netflix Danny, lol

  7. #52
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Love the show, even if the main character is a bigger douche than Netflix Danny, lol
    He is proud, cocky, aggressive and selfish - he's young, troubled, and has issues to be worked-out and some growing up to be done - but I think that's the point. You wince a bit at his method of doing things, but I don't think the audience is ever totally alienated from the character's perspective because in general he is fighting for the underdog, even if he's also looking out for himself. The clash between his selfish ambitions and his feelings of morality and loyalty are what makes him interesting to watch when he's not hitting people. I think he's a character that is evolving, sometimes painfully, to becoming a hero.

    I know the show is based on the writings of Bruce Lee, and IIRC, Lee was always getting into trouble back in HK as a youth; and I think his attitude contrasted with the Chinese-Americans he met when he came to the States, who he found rather pushed-down and submissive. I think they've put that in the show, that contrast between the protagonist and the average Chinese-American man on the street.

    Netflix, on the other hand, just didn't seem to get Danny.

  8. #53
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Watching the Shang Chi trailer almost made me shed a single tear as to what Iron Fist Fans should have gotten. Especially since the movie is going the mystical kung fu route instead of the more grounded Shang Chi type of story.

  9. #54
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Watching the Shang Chi trailer almost made me shed a single tear as to what Iron Fist Fans should have gotten. Especially since the movie is going the mystical kung fu route instead of the more grounded Shang Chi type of story.
    I'm fine with Shang Chi adding some mystical sci-fi to his movie - as long as his fan-base are happy with the change, and it doesn't actually co-opt elements from IF's mythology, it's all okay with me. I did think it was a little Americentric given that Shang's stories, from what I remember, were much more 'international man of mystery', but again, if the fans don't mind it's all good. I do wonder if this film coming out so close to the super-spy themed Black Widow was responsible for it shifting to more Crouching Tiger territory? Certainly we know Marvel are interested in branching out into new genres, and this one being Marvel's first true martial arts film would fit in with that. I wonder if we'll get a western at some point?

  10. #55

    Default

    Hopefully Iron Fist can pop up in a potential sequel.

  11. #56
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Hopefully Iron Fist can pop up in a potential sequel.
    I was thinking the same thing. With Shang Chi getting a movie first, maybe the backlash with Danny being white will die down a bit. I think so much of that stems from the fact that Marvel had not have a single Asian led MCU movie or show. And to have Iron Fist come out and sort of be the cultural appropriating white savoir trope, angered many. I remember so many MCU fans wanted to change Danny's race or at least make him bi-racial. Now that Shang Chi is dropping this year, maybe we can get an Iron Fist appearance in a sequel; especially since there will be flying dragons in the Shang Chi film. #Shou-Lao I have a feeling Shang may get one of the ten rings and be given some mystical abilities.

  12. #57
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    2,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. With Shang Chi getting a movie first, maybe the backlash with Danny being white will die down a bit. I think so much of that stems from the fact that Marvel had not have a single Asian led MCU movie or show. And to have Iron Fist come out and sort of be the cultural appropriating white savoir trope, angered many. I remember so many MCU fans wanted to change Danny's race or at least make him bi-racial. Now that Shang Chi is dropping this year, maybe we can get an Iron Fist appearance in a sequel; especially since there will be flying dragons in the Shang Chi film. #Shou-Lao I have a feeling Shang may get one of the ten rings and be given some mystical abilities.
    That would be cool, seeing Iron Fist get some type of redemption in a Shang-Chi movie. My only concern is if people are able to look past the white savior trope. Well, if the Shang-Chi trailer has shown me, as long as the fighting is awesome, people can overlook these things.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  13. #58
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,627

    Default

    I don't think being a White martial artist is a problem as long as he's not literally the savior of the Asian characters. If he fights alongside Shang-Chi, I can't see anyone objecting

  14. #59
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    That would be cool, seeing Iron Fist get some type of redemption in a Shang-Chi movie. My only concern is if people are able to look past the white savior trope. Well, if the Shang-Chi trailer has shown me, as long as the fighting is awesome, people can overlook these things.
    In my opinion the Iron Fist television show coming out before Shang Chi was an issue for many. So many people have been starving for an Asian superhero story and to have Iron Fist come out first angered many. I think if Shang Chi had already been released, there would have less of an issue. Fans may not have called for recasting Danny as Asian. Damn that Iron Fist show still leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.

  15. #60

    Default

    Yeah there was very little Asian representation in the MCU so Danny felt insulting to my East Asian friends. For reference I'm South Asian and I didn't have any good representation till Davos pops up. Before that, all I had were Raza and the fake madarin and both were chumps.

    I was leaning for him to be mixed race. Having his mom come from Kun Lun would've given him more oppurtunities. His mom is paper thin and I know more about the wolf that killed her than I do his mom. So you can subvert the white savior trope by pushing it to his father instead. It's not an instant fix because the Netflix show had no idea what to do with him beyond hanging out with Luke Cage. So we'd be hating Lewis Tan instead of Finn Jones because Danny had murky motivations and poorly defined stakes. Colleen outshined him for that reason- I knew what she wanted etc.

    Im hoping Disney+ just goes more like Thor Ragnarok with him. Just leave NY behind bro. I'd settle for him being a SWORD agent.

    For reference- https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Fer...%20Luke%20Cage.

    Ferocia is the wolf that killed his mom. She became sentient somehow. They should totally have her be like Unknown for Tekken. Merge her with Danny's mom's soul and lean into the horror.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-24-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •