Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    No, I did. What's your point? .
    I can't speak to their point, but my point had nothing to do with Okoye being well written. She was, but she shouldn't have been involved in the story at all. If she had been removed and someone closer to the Iron Fist legacy had been used instead, it would have made more sense. And in my opinion, improved the story, regardless of how well Okoye may have been written.

The miniseries wasn't too appealing. Even if it's supposed to be Danny's send-off, it's more of a whimper than a bang. Hell it's more of a shrug than anything else.

I agree with the poster from before, I rather just have focused on Danny than Okoye. Or use Colleen because her relationship with Danny hadn't gotten much focus in the comics.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-08-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Ultimate Member

Why do people keep acting like this is a send off, instead of just a random mini?

Why do people keep acting like this is a send off, instead of just a random mini?
    Danny ends the mini depowered and people are insecure about Danny being used after the Netflix show. For me, it could be setup for another solo/teamup or not. But the loss of power angle feels too cliche at this point. Its starting to feel like they don't know what to do with him beyond having him lose and regain his powers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Danny ends the mini depowered and people are insecure about Danny being used after the Netflix show. For me, it could be setup for another solo/teamup or not. But the loss of power angle feels too cliche at this point. Its starting to feel like they don't know what to do with him beyond having him lose and regain his powers.
    Well, they kinda don't, lets be honest.

Danny invokes some certainly questionable tropes, and Marvel seems determined to wait it out rather than addressing them. I think he's easily salvageable with tweaking, but until Marvel decides to invest the time and effort, I think he'll be stuck as a guest star

Mighty Member

Danny invokes some certainly questionable tropes, and Marvel seems determined to wait it out rather than addressing them. I think he's easily salvageable with tweaking, but until Marvel decides to invest the time and effort, I think he'll be stuck as a guest star
    He doesn't really need that much tweaking. The issue, IMO, is that there are so few Asian led heroes in Marvel comics and to have a him be one of the few to get various series is an issue. It is not like the kung fu craze of the 70s when you had a Shang Chi title, Iron Fist, Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. There was a diverse cast of characters knowing and fighting kung fu back then. Hell Everybody was . . . uhhh no. Now that Shang Chi has returned with his series; maybe we will get more Asian led books.

It's just so rare to get a Fist series at all and this is what happens. Sucks for Iron Fist fans.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    He doesn't really need that much tweaking. The issue, IMO, is that there are so few Asian led heroes in Marvel comics and to have a him be one of the few to get various series is an issue. It is not like the kung fu craze of the 70s when you had a Shang Chi title, Iron Fist, Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. There was a diverse cast of characters knowing and fighting kung fu back then. Hell Everybody was . . . uhhh no. Now that Shang Chi has returned with his series; maybe we will get more Asian led books.

It's just so rare to get a Fist series at all and this is what happens. Sucks for Iron Fist fans.
    I agree, he doesn't need much tweaking.

Martial arts are practiced the world over. No one culture can hold a claim over them.

But he does invoke mighty whitey/white savior tropes.

They oughta scale back on presenting Kun Lun as an Asian fantasy place, and just make it a fantasy martial arts place. Just say it draws in skilled martial artists from around the world. Emphasize that Danny is one of many, and have a few non Asian Iron Fists get some focus.

Tweaks are needed, all things considered

I agree.

I don't think they know what to do with him beyond putting him with Luke Cage. Most of his original story conflicts got resolved back in the day. Right now his life is too stable and it's not like he has anything he really wants. So him constantly loosing his powers and regaining it seems to be their default.

Danny never found his footing as a solo hero. So putting him in a team book feels like a good place for now.

It's weird that the White Savior controversy took hold with Danny because Doctor Strange has alot of the same problems Danny does. The White Savior complaint applies to him too.

You could tweak the White Savior controversy by giving Danny a stronger relationship with K'un L'un. Which was set up by the end of Immortal Iron Fist. Danny has access to a portal that allows him to travel to Kun Lun. He doesn't have to wait 10 years for the gate to open.

You could even do flashback tales to Danny's childhood/training.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-09-2021 at 08:08 AM.

Ultimate Member

Wonder if they'll ever bring back Danny's sister

Mighty Member

What are some stories you all want to see written about Danny Rand. Here are a few of mine:

1. An Iron Fist Year One type of story showing a bit of his training and exploring the world of Kun-L'un. With a culture of immortals in a mystical martial arts city, the stores are endless. Who are some of the other teachers and mystics in the realm?

2. A story that dives into the the 'Book of the Iron Fist.' What wonders lie within? It's more than just techniques but a puzzle box of techniques and other teachings.

3. Stories of travels to the other Immortal Cities to world build in each of those cultures.

I think all these would require very good writers. For examples I did not care for the series that focused on the other immortal weapons. They were just a bit blah to me. Average writers would not create the incredible wonders I believe these stories deserve.

What are some stories you all want to see written about Danny Rand.
    Hopefully nobody will be upset, but I would be interested in the return of...

Heroes For Hire

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-12-2021 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

I would cynically wager that the best hope/option in the short term would be for Pei to become Iron Fist with Danny as her support and then share (eg Spider-Men etc)

The alternative is that Iron Fist just got ‘punished’ like the Inhumans, or that the decks are being cleared for some radical reworking that benefits no one

Extraordinary Member

Wonder if they'll ever bring back Danny's sister
    Yeah. Death Sting is still out there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I agree.

I don't think they know what to do with him beyond putting him with Luke Cage. Most of his original story conflicts got resolved back in the day. Right now his life is too stable and it's not like he has anything he really wants. So him constantly loosing his powers and regaining it seems to be their default.

Danny never found his footing as a solo hero. So putting him in a team book feels like a good place for now.

It's weird that the White Savior controversy took hold with Danny because Doctor Strange has alot of the same problems Danny does. The White Savior complaint applies to him too.

You could tweak the White Savior controversy by giving Danny a stronger relationship with K'un L'un. Which was set up by the end of Immortal Iron Fist. Danny has access to a portal that allows him to travel to Kun Lun. He doesn't have to wait 10 years for the gate to open.

You could even do flashback tales to Danny's childhood/training.
    To be fair, while Dr. Strange has some of the same issues, they're not as ingrained as Danny's. Strange's Asian mentor is dead, killed in his origin story but lived in a real country.

In contrast, Kun Lun is a fictional place that invokes many an Asian trope (kung fu, sexism) with no real world connection. It throws shade far and wide, with Aryan Danny at the head

The tweak Kun Lun needs, IMO, is moving away from unnamed, background Asians, and moved towards a multi-cultural kung fu land. It needs absolutely no real world parallels

What are some stories you all want to see written about Danny Rand. Here are a few of mine:

1. An Iron Fist Year One type of story showing a bit of his training and exploring the world of Kun-L'un. With a culture of immortals in a mystical martial arts city, the stores are endless. Who are some of the other teachers and mystics in the realm?

2. A story that dives into the the 'Book of the Iron Fist.' What wonders lie within? It's more than just techniques but a puzzle box of techniques and other teachings.

3. Stories of travels to the other Immortal Cities to world build in each of those cultures.

I think all these would require very good writers. For examples I did not care for the series that focused on the other immortal weapons. They were just a bit blah to me. Average writers would not create the incredible wonders I believe these stories deserve.
    Great ideas bro. Yeah, I think we need a Year One for K'un Lun. What were those training experiences like for Danny at that time? I also like this idea of the other secrets of the Book of the Iron Fist. I'd like to know those other techniques. Plus, that long history of other Iron Fists is still there. In telling their stories, we get to learn about a corner of the Marvel Universe that hasn't been explored. And yeah, I feel like there has to be serious development for the Immortal Weapons. For nearly 15 years, other than their one-shots, they have not had much development. What are their heavenly cities like? Aside from Fat Cobra, what were the experiences of the other characters?

The tweak Kun Lun needs, IMO, is moving away from unnamed, background Asians, and moved towards a multi-cultural kung fu land. It needs absolutely no real world parallels
    Agreed. I think K'un Lun was gaining more development when Sparrow become the new Yu-Ti and women were gaining more rights. That was a start. Sadly, no one seems to be picking up on that! Aside from that, I'm thinking there could be other slices of life. What's a normal day like for an average person in K'un Lun? How have they felt over the years with all of this craziness happening, mainly due to an Iron Fist. The gender revolution, the Phoenix, the attack of The One, the attempted takeover of by the exiles from Liu-Shi, etc. The people have K'un-Lun have been attacked more times in the last few years than in any other time in their history (that we know of anyway). So what does the farmer, the merchant, the fisherman, the ordinary people basically feel about all of this?

As for me, I still want to see what Danny can do without the Iron Fist. Yeah it's been done before, but maybe we can see him go on a personal journey. No need for the K'un Lun garb or anything, just Danny wearing street clothes and having adventures using his exceptional martial arts skills.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."