Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

We just replaced the Thunderer, don't think we should do that again.

They oughta just age up Pei to teenager, and just have him mentor her. Plenty of stories there

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Way to go Marvel. First Brian Braddock loses the Captain Britain mantle and then Danny Rand loses the Iron Fist.

These are my favorite characters...
    Yeah, same here. I'm pretty much done with Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    We just replaced the Thunderer, don't think we should do that again.

They oughta just age up Pei to teenager, and just have him mentor her. Plenty of stories there
    She actually is a teenager. She went to high school in the Andrews run.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    She actually is a teenager. She went to high school in the Andrews run.
    She wasn't in this mini, lol.

Confirm and be consistent with her age, lol

Way to go Marvel. First Brian Braddock loses the Captain Britain mantle and then Danny Rand loses the Iron Fist.

They’ll get their mantles back eventually. If there’s one thing in comics that never truly die, it’s status quo.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    They’ll get their mantles back eventually. If there’s one thing in comics that never truly die, it’s status quo.
    Take a look at my avatar. It doesn't always happen.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Take a look at my avatar. It doesn't always happen.
    lol, Mar-Vell and the original Dove are about the only characters to never return outside flashbacks.

Bucky is back, Barry Allen is back, Jason Todd is back.

Mar-Vell's greatest story was his death. His archtype has gotten old and stale, and he died before most modern writers today were reading comics.

None of those apply to Danny

Does anyone else feel this mini would have been better if Okoye hadn't been in it? Instead Danny or even Pei could have been in her role and it would have been a much tighter story.

Extraordinary Member

I wonder when Iron Fist returns, will it be only an older Pei?

With Danny in the missing mentor role.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Does anyone else feel this mini would have been better if Okoye hadn't been in it? Instead Danny or even Pei could have been in her role and it would have been a much tighter story.
    Not really.

They ran through the Immortal Cities without touching on the interior/culture. Just the usual destruction. We never even get a reaction to Tiger's death

I'm pretty sure that homogenized the source of the Immortal Weapons' Chi (dragons for everyone!). Didn't Fat Cobra have to beat a snake prior?

Taskmaster, Lady Bullseye and Midnight Sun basically cameo.

Brenda is the villain, calling back to a 1970s origin story that few care about, and her motivation couldn't be more cliche

Okoye being well written is probably the only above average part of the mini

Not really.

They ran through the Immortal Cities without touching on the interior/culture. Just the usual destruction. We never even get a reaction to Tiger's death

I'm pretty sure that homogenized the source of the Immortal Weapons' Chi (dragons for everyone!). Didn't Fat Cobra have to beat a snake prior?

Brenda is the villain, calling back to a 1970s origin story that few care about, and her motivation couldn't be more cliche

It's kind of telling that the best written thing in a mini-series about Iron Fist...is a non-Iron Fist character.

I would've preferred Colleen instead of Okoye.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Well, this sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Probably true, which is why I'm not overreacting about the end to this mini.

But I didn't like it. It feels incredibly arbitrary to make the "last" Iron Fist story with Danny one in which Okoye is the actual hero. I would've much rather gotten the ending I think we were supposed to get in The Living Weapon, with Danny sacrificing himself and Pei becoming the Iron Fist. At least that would've made more sense thematically, rather than the almost throw-away nature of this actually-drastic ending.

Like, Danny basically just shrugged his shoulders about losing the Iron Fist, when not too long ago at the beginning of Brisson's run, he was fully committed to keeping his powers intact.

Very unsatisfactory ending.

Highlight of the series was all the cool dragons. I think it peaked in issue #3.

-Pav, who also can't imagine officially trading SHOU-LAO THE UNDYING for f^#&ing GORK THE UNDYING...

...and I like Gork...
    I agree with most of your points, especially with Okoye taking over the book. I signed on for an IRON FIST book, not an Okoye book. I smell editorial edicts / interference.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Yeah, same here. I'm pretty much done with Marvel.
    Sadly, I'm starting to feel the same.

Yes. 100%

Not really.

I don't think strathcona said anything about Okoye being well written.

I reread the mini, and I have to say, the best thing I can say about it was that it was no Cry for Justice.

I mean, this was a bad mini, don't get me wrong. But nothing that can't be easily patched over or fixed by another writer.

I mean, Taskmaster and Lady Bullseye seem to pop in and out of the mini utterly at random. We have a short scene with Midnight Sun before getting spidered and leaving without much of a conclusion. It's like Hama wanted to do a kung-fu mini but his mind wandered off half way through.

We lose Tiger's Daughter, and no one seems to care. Does her dragon get revived?

Brenda is the main villain, and damn if she's not underwhelming. So she wants revenge for the father she never knew or met. Even though her intro arc had her putting that all aside.

Can someone please send a memo to writers that revenge has been a poor, cliche motivation?

Brenda was NOT the main villain. And your reading the wrong genre if you don't want to read about characters motivated by revenge.

That was probably a mistake. Like with PAD, it seems that older writers are coasting on their reps, are phoning it in or have exhausted their ideas.
    ??? PAD and Hama are better writers than most of the modern writers of comics. For the most part, they put out entertaining books, with a knowledge of the characters. Except for Okoye and the ending, I was enjoying the book.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Yes, two of my favourite also. Both of them have been given a raw deal in recent years what with no ongoing comic runs. Danny had one a few years back by Ed Brisson which was pretty good but was cut short. Brian has been totally left on the far sidelines. Very sad. Two great heroes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I don't think strathcona said anything about Okoye being well written.
    No, I did. What's your point?

Brenda was NOT the main villain. And your reading the wrong genre if you don't want to read about characters motivated by revenge.
    She was the only one with any meaningful gravitas/depth, what little there was of that. The Winter Soldier of their Captain America sequel

While I'm aware of how common revenge is as a motivation, that does not make it good story telling. Especially when it harks back to a story about revenge, that itself subverted the trope.

Which is to say, the original story 30 years ago was better than what we got here.

??? PAD and Hama are better writers than most of the modern writers of comics. For the most part, they put out entertaining books, with a knowledge of the characters. Except for Okoye and the ending, I was enjoying the book.
    I feel very differently. PAD's Maestro is amazingly underwhelming, and this mini just straight up forgot characters, mashed their mythos together or wasn't that informed to begin with (why did Pei never use her iron fist?).