Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I'm getting a feeling Danny and the Iron Fist will pop up over in Jason Aaron's Avengers run. He's building up a team of Avengers composed of legacy characters. Perhaps the title will crown a new Iron Fist there? Maybe. In any case, I just hope Danny isn't forgotten in this mix.

In other Iron Fist news, Brett Chan, who was the fight choreographer on the first season of Iron Fist, has had this to say about the series. This comes from here https://screenrant.com/iron-fist-sea...stunt-problem/:

Again, I'm hearing that some actors didn't prepare. The insinuation is that it was Finn. I've supported the guy in the past. I still think (and I'm in the minority here) that his acting was good for the series. But if you're playing a martial arts character, one of the best in the Marvel Universe by the way, you best be good at martial arts. Yes, there may have been other circumstances on Marvel's part, but ultimately the actor is responsible for the training.
    I think we can all agree that the TV show was thrown together with too little time and too little thought. Finn sucked in the first season, but I thought he was good in the Defenders and season 2.

That said, his character was beyond the ability of any actor to save.

Astonishing Member

Jones’ acting did improve but other actors ended up doing a lot of heavy lifting that they shouldn’t have had to. But yeah it was very cobbled tougher and it involved a few retcons to Daredevil’s arc

controversial thought: considering that in hindsight the Netflix shows were pretty much doomed anyway regardless of results (Cox and D’Onofiro possibly being drafted into the MCU notwithstanding) they might as well have just cast Henwick as a female Danny. The end result would have been the same (but I don’t notice Cage or Daredevil being singled out for some IP burning), so what difference would it have made

I'm hoping Danny pops up in the Death of Doctor Strange. He'd be a good fit.

Mighty Member

I'm getting a feeling Danny and the Iron Fist will pop up over in Jason Aaron's Avengers run. He's building up a team of Avengers composed of legacy characters. Perhaps the title will crown a new Iron Fist there? Maybe. In any case, I just hope Danny isn't forgotten in this mix.

In other Iron Fist news, Brett Chan, who was the fight choreographer on the first season of Iron Fist, has had this to say about the series. This comes from here https://screenrant.com/iron-fist-sea...stunt-problem/:

Again, I'm hearing that some actors didn't prepare. The insinuation is that it was Finn. I've supported the guy in the past. I still think (and I'm in the minority here) that his acting was good for the series. But if you're playing a martial arts character, one of the best in the Marvel Universe by the way, you best be good at martial arts. Yes, there may have been other circumstances on Marvel's part, but ultimately the actor is responsible for the training.
    So you mean in the audition process for the role of Danny Rand, Netflix Marvel and the IF show runner hired an actor who did not want to train in martial arts. And they would not put him in a mask so that a stunt man could double for him? That series broke my hear in more ways than one. It was so bad that they ended up with Danny giving away the Iron Fist. Like the Iron Fist is just a special tattoo! As a result of that series its the backlash, a similar plot is now working in the comics. Danny has given up the Iron Fist. SMDH.

Astonishing Member

I feel like pointing out that Season 1 of Iron Fist, in which so much was done dirty, was by the just who created the godawful Inhumans show. He’s lazy and cut a lot of corners, and Loeb’s attitude doesn’t seem to have helped

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I feel like pointing out that Season 1 of Iron Fist, in which so much was done dirty, was by the just who created the godawful Inhumans show. He’s lazy and cut a lot of corners, and Loeb’s attitude doesn’t seem to have helped
    Seriously. Danny's character needs work, but cultural appropriation wasn't a flaw until the writers made the decision to make it one.

It would be interesting to see Si Spurrier, AL Ewing or Jed McKay handle him.

Danny is a character who needs a shakeup and new stories beyond loosing his powers.

Mighty Member

I have a feeling Danny is going to disappear as a feature character for a while in the comics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I have a feeling Danny is going to disappear as a feature character for a while in the comics.
    Possibly, but limbo isn't a bad place to be. Let someone have a fresh and considered idea

Some interesting thoughts here. Does fault lie entirely on Finn? Maybe not. Brett Chan's interview mentioned Marvel and the producers as well. We all know that the producer of that show was well regarded for producing shows on a tight budget. I feel that Finn became much better for season 2. But hearing (and watching that YouTube clip) Jessica Henwick's picking up the slack and training, I feel Finn could have done better. Still, I'm willing to change opinions. I'd like to hear what Finn says.

As for Danny possibly going to limbo and not bein Iron Fist, it sucks. The whole white savior/cultural appropriation argument gutted people's interest in the character. Still, it made me aware of things. And I honestly believe that Danny can still be Iron Fist in spite of all of that. If that requires being off the board for a bit (and just for a bit), then so be it. Again, if that's the case, don't do Danny dirty. Don't humiliate, don't condemn. The guy's a hero. And in my estimation that makes up for any criticism labelled against him.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

As for Danny possibly going to limbo and not bein Iron Fist, it sucks. The whole white savior/cultural appropriation argument gutted people's interest in the character. Still, it made me aware of things. And I honestly believe that Danny can still be Iron Fist in spite of all of that. If that requires being off the board for a bit (and just for a bit), then so be it. Again, if that's the case, don't do Danny dirty. Don't humiliate, don't condemn. The guy's a hero. And in my estimation that makes up for any criticism labelled against him.
    I concur: I think Danny is going to be put on the shelf until Marvel can figure out where to go with the property/IP/character.

Personally, I thought the introduction of sociopolitical ideas like cultural appropriation and gender roles added an extra layer of interest and modernization to the stories of Iron Fist. Frankly, I'd love to see the book continue in this vein, balancing kung fu pulp heroics and postcolonial themes. And as long as Danny is treated respectfully and holds an important role in future stories, I wouldn't mind if Pei is made THE Iron Fist. Many of us have talked about how Danny often works best when bouncing off other characters, so having him squarely in the role of mentor to Pei, and perhaps other young heroes, would be totally fine with me if done well.

In general, the history of the character can't just be thrown away; it has to be understood and used meaningfully to dictate the direction of the character.

-Pav, who wonders if the current status quos of Iron Fist, Black Knight, and Darkhawk are meaningful in conjunction...
    Last edited by Pav; 08-18-2021 at 06:33 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    The showrunner was really bad. Loeb is known by being anti-asian and he is not close to being a jkevin feige. I heard negative criticism on him for years

I know they have little time to train but if Hendwick that no eperience got good results, everyone else could had done the same. I relaly surprise that she had no experience on martial arts.

Finn was really terrible on fighting, it was obvious that he didn't trained for the role. he got better on 2nd season but the damage was already done
    Last edited by Writerblog; 08-18-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Ultimate Member

Some interesting thoughts here. Does fault lie entirely on Finn? Maybe not. Brett Chan's interview mentioned Marvel and the producers as well. We all know that the producer of that show was well regarded for producing shows on a tight budget. I feel that Finn became much better for season 2. But hearing (and watching that YouTube clip) Jessica Henwick's picking up the slack and training, I feel Finn could have done better. Still, I'm willing to change opinions. I'd like to hear what Finn says.

In fairness, cultural appropriation wasn't an issue with Danny's character UNTIL THE SHOW MADE IT ONE.

They made him a douche who stole his homeland's greatest weapon to dick around with back home. And the writers threw that in Danny, and ours, faces the entire first season.

As for the mighty whitey trope, they simply ought to change kun lun from a faux Asian city, to some generic kung fu land. Say that it moves from place to place, calling to skilled martial artists all over the world. Introduce some non white or Asian iron fists

Mighty Member

CBR article titled: Shang-Chi's Lore May Tease a Connection to Iron Fist. A warning to those who have not seen the Shang Chi film yet. It does contain spoilers for the film. DO NOT READ if you do not want to get spoiled. Also the film creators do borrow from some of the comic book Iron Fist mythology and gives it to Shang Chi's MCU story. They even thank Matt Fraction in the credits. I do not believe we will get Danny on film as Shang will be the MCU's mystical kung fu hero. Especially since Danny actually gave up the Iron Fist in comics. (SMDH) But one can only hope:

https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-tease-...-3dd60HtCqi3EQ

Iron Fist always resonated with me a bit more than Shang Chi as he has the mystical/fantastical elements in his mythology. Not hating on Shang as I am a fan of him as a character also and he should have been in the MCU well before now. (IMO) His film and story should have been released before Danny was on Netflix. I have to say that it would be awesome to see them fighting side by side against The Steel Serpent and The Cat. By the way that should have happened well before now in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    CBR article titled: Shang-Chi's Lore May Tease a Connection to Iron Fist. A warning to those who have not seen the Shang Chi film yet. It does contain spoilers for the film. DO NOT READ if you do not want to get spoiled. Also the film creators do borrow from some of the comic book Iron Fist mythology and gives it to Shang Chi's MCU story. They even thank Matt Fraction in the credits. I do not believe we will get Danny on film as Shang will be the MCU's mystical kung fu hero. Especially since Danny actually gave up the Iron Fist in comics. (SMDH) But one can only hope:

https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-tease-...-3dd60HtCqi3EQ

Iron Fist always resonated with me a bit more than Shang Chi as he has the mystical/fantastical elements in his mythology. Not hating on Shang as I am a fan of him as a character also and he should have been in the MCU well before now. (IMO) His film and story should have been released before Danny was on Netflix. I have to say that it would be awesome to see them fighting side by side against The Steel Serpent and The Cat. By the way that should have happened well before now in the comics.
    I feel that the shout out to Matt Fraction was his contributions to the Mandarin back in the Iron Man series and not necessarily K'un Lun. The mystical land of Ta Lo actually comes from an issue of Thor. Comic Tropes pointed this out in a recent video. Check out 6:20:

As for the fantastical elements, Iron Fist is a good fit for that. Thinking it over, I could see Danny using his Iron Fist powers pretty well against the more fantasy villains and monsters which were featured in the last third of the film. Still, I said this before in the Shang-Chi thread, I feel Shang also fits well into the realm of the fantastic and mystical. His father allows for those types of stories to be told.

Wouldn't mind seeing these two team up again. When people have a clear direction for Danny, when critics realize that the potential of the character, the good, far outweighs the criticisms (which I agree became a big deal because people hyped it up as a big deal), then I want to see this pairing happen.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."