Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

I'd like to see a story where he deals with the day to day life of Kun Lun. The whole Outsider trapped between two worlds angle is absent in his modern stories. He assimilated to NY and seems well-liked as a superhero. So having him interact with Kun Lun more is a good angle to explore.

Danny fighting street-level crime in NY is uninspired but having him fight street level crime in Kun Lun could be something else.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-01-2021 at 07:21 AM.

BANNED

A new Iron Fist has been announced:

Okay, I formally retract my very unlikely guess that the new Iron Fist is the son of the Dragon Lord.

My new guess?

What if the new Iron Fist is the secret son of Davos and the grandson of the Thunderer?

-Pav, who would be incredibly intrigued for sure...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Okay, I formally retract my very unlikely guess that the new Iron Fist is the son of the Dragon Lord.

My new guess?

What if the new Iron Fist is the secret son of Davos and the grandson of the Thunderer?

That would be cool.

What happened to the little girl? I think her name was Pei or something
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    What happened to the little girl? I think her name was Pei or something
    She's still around but not really being used. She would be perfect for Strange Academy. I'm surprised it ain't her as the new IF.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-01-2021 at 06:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I just want to emphasize that I vaguely recall hearing something along these lines back when season 1 was first out. My memory could be off, or it could have just been a rumor, or who knows what. Point is, take my comments here with a grain of salt.

I did think Finn was a solid casting choice though. He had the right look and did well in Game of Thrones. I'd have liked to see him tackle Danny with the full power of Marvel Studios behind him; better material to work with, better/more training, etc.
    I don't know if you saw the second season of Luke Cage, but there's an episode that's has Danny teaming up with Luke and Danny comes off charming and likeable there. I don't know how hard Finn Jones did or didn't train, but the scripts of his own show definitely let him down.

Frankly it seemed like the first season was way more interested in Ward kicking his addiction (credit due, I thought the guy that played Ward was giving a great performance, but isn't the show supposed be about Iron Fist?) than making the main character work.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    A new Iron Fist has been announced:

We know. We've been talking about that for the last six pages and three days (image, posted four pages ago, removed from quote).
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Well, this tells us nothing:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-new-iron-...sian-creators/

Doesn't look like Sword Master OR Shang-Chi.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 11-01-2021 at 04:43 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I don't know if you saw the second season of Luke Cage, but there's an episode that's has Danny teaming up with Luke and Danny comes off charming and likeable there. I don't know how hard Finn Jones did or didn't train, but the scripts of his own show definitely let him down.
    I did see Luke season 2, and that was a good episode. Like I said, Finn wasn't a bad casting choice, but the show itself was something of a mess. I think season 3 could have finished turning things around maybe, but.....waiting three seasons just to hit a decent balance isn't exactly a great look.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

My new guess?

That was my guess. That he would be the son of Davos or even the Thunderer. This keeping in the "Iron Fist" family. Davos's son or younger brother gains the Iron Fist would not make Davos happy at all. The sad part is all this is being done for the MCU and not really for comic book story telling. They are changing the Iron Fist so that this fist will show up in a Shang Chi sequel and to quell the folk that do not like the fact that Danny is white. Danny is not a popular enough character for it to be ignored as say, Dr. Strange, whose origin is way more problematic and suffers more from the white savior trope than Danny.

Mr. Rand will be back in some form. I'd suggest Christopher Priest to write an ongoing solo series for him.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Mr. Rand will be back in some form. I'd suggest Christopher Priest to write an ongoing solo series for him.
    I would love a series where we see him running the day to day at his company and trying to hostilely take over villainous corporations like A.I.M. or Roxxon.

It would be so dope to see him against Dario Agger or the leader of Madripoor

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    That's not entirely true though, is it? I mean Jessica Henwick was trained in martial arts choreography for Spirit Warriors, the BBC children's show she starred in as her first big break. She may not have actually had real competitive kung fu training, but if you watch the backstage video she was trained in Wushu by the show's martial arts master for four weeks before filming, so the 'no martial arts training' is at best an exaggeration.

Edit: at around 5.50 they talk about her training for the martial arts moves:
    I considered that and watched clips from the show before making my initial post and let me just say, the fight scenes on that show are nothing to write home about. So I think IF's stunt co-ordinator had a point about the Henwick having little to no experience and trained to get to the level where her stunts looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Memory is vague but I wanna say Finn was tied up with Game of Thrones, or some other project, and had a short window before filming on Iron Fist began. So if that's true then Finn can't be totally blamed for things. But if I'm wrong, or even if I'm right and Finn was just lazy with the short amount of training time he did have, then yeah he deserves criticism for it. If you take a role playing a martial arts master and don't put in the effort for fight training you deserve to fail.

And I agree the blowback got out of proportion a lot of the time, and I didn't even like the show.
    I think Iron Fist's martial arts choreographer was kind of throwing Finn under the bus with that remark. I think Finn was probably a bit slack, whilst Jessica is very much a type-A personality, but he had a much steeper learning curve than she did.
    Which brings us back to the point; that Finn was miscast in the role and why hire someone with little-to-no background in martial arts or not able to train (for whatever reason) in a limited amount of time for the role of a character who is supposed to be a life long martial arts master?

I don't think the problem is all Finn. There are multiple levels of failure. From Producer Jeph Loeb to the Showrunner Scott Buck to the writers room. I don't think the stunt co-rodinator would throw Finn under the bus like that, if he was just aggrieved actor stuck in an impossible situation and trying to make it work under immense pressure and scrutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I think the best path for Danny now would be if he pulls a Nightwing and creates his own identity (Iron Wing? Iron Dragon?) which is totally his own and represents the fact that he doesn't feel like he fully belongs in either of the worlds he lives in.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I considered that and watched clips from the show before making my initial post and let me just say, the fight scenes on that show are nothing to write home about. So I think IF's stunt co-ordinator had a point about the Henwick having little to no experience and trained to get to the level where her stunts looked good.
    Okay, I know this is going to come across as a little confrontational, and really I don't want to cause trouble or pick a fight, but... IF's stunt co-ordinator didn't say "little or no" experience, he said "zero martial arts experience", which is simply not true. If he had said "little-to-no" experience I wouldn't have a problem with it, but he didn't. Now maybe he really didn't know, in which case he was simply mistaken rather than being deliberately misleading. Looking back down the thread, I can see you knew though, because I realise you were the one who first brought Spirit Warriors up. The fact that you have decided that the Spirit Warriors fight scenes aren't particularly good doesn't mean you can pretend that a months worth of martial arts training didn't happen. You were deliberately being inaccurate presumably because it packs so much more of a punch to claim she'd no experience of martial arts before; and you've massaged what the stunt co-ordinator actually said presumably to make it sound less disingenuous. It's a crappy way of arguing, imo.

On your overall point of Finn being to blame for not putting the time in, I agree that's probably true and he deserves a fair bit of the flak, I just don't like the way you've argued it.

Again, no issue with you personally, just this sort of thing bugs me.