Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Hi all. Anyone else read issue #2 this week? It felt a little dense in the beginning. And unless you were familiar with the Heavenly Cities or the Eighth City, you would have gotten lost. Overall though, I liked it. It felt very 80s in a way, which is a good thing. Simple story of Danny and his band of warriors taking the fight to the Eighth City. Still, wish there was a bit more action. Also wondering how the bad guy was able to attract the likes of Taskmaster and Midnight Sun.

In any case, a good read for this week.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Agreed, Tien.

Nothing really amazing happened, but nothing egregious either -- just another solid issue. For anyone who's been following the modern IF mythos, starting with IMMORTAL, I think this is going to be an enjoyable mini. It almost feels like the culmination of the modern stories -- everything being included -- although I do have my doubts that it'll end up having any grand ramifications.

But you never know.

-Pav, who wonders if John Aman is one of the dead warriors alluded to...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Agreed, Tien.

Nothing really amazing happened, but nothing egregious either -- just another solid issue. For anyone who's been following the modern IF mythos, starting with IMMORTAL, I think this is going to be an enjoyable mini. It almost feels like the culmination of the modern stories -- everything being included -- although I do have my doubts that it'll end up having any grand ramifications.

But you never know.

-Pav, who wonders if John Aman is one of the dead warriors alluded to...
    Thanks bro. Yeah, I was wondering about John Aman as well. With the way he was depicted in Defenders and Andrews' Iron Fist series, will he be the bad guy? Hope not, thought he was one of the more important characters in the IF mythos after Danny.

Reread the first and second issues back to back to get a better understanding of the series. Now, a couple of things stand out:

- Sad to see Tiger's Beautiful Tiger slain.
    - The dialogue is still a little off, but serviceable. Danny and Luke definitely don't sound like they have for the past 15 or so years. But I don't mind it. Still works.
    - Art is alright. It's again serviceable , and the fight scenes are cool. But lacking something. It's always a pleasure to see Danny use the iron fist, but he can do a lot more.
    - Digging the role that Fooh is taking. Think he's hysterical.
    - Glad to see Quan Yin in this, though cautiously so. She is one of the most important figures in Mahayana Buddhism. She's worshipped all over Asia, especially in China. You'll see her in any Buddhist temple or even some makeshift shrines in a person's home. At the same time, she's been a big part of the folklore of East Asia. Tons of stories, like Journey to the West, feature her. She's been on TV, movies, and comics before. The title has to strike that balance of respect in there. I like what I read though. Her comment of "oceans of compassion", that's expected. Such language is used in many Buddhist sutras.

Wonder where the story will go. Indeed saw this in the solicits:

Who is this? Danny's sister? Is this the big bad? I'm intrigued. Also, digging this variant cover:

Keeping the iron fists crossed that the story will turn out well!
    "I am a man of peace."

Did anyone read Power Man and Iron Fist team-ups during and after Shadowland that featured new Power Man? I think they had two mini series. Were they good? And was the new Power Man used much after these minis or it was another case of "lets focus on new character for 1 year and then forget about him"?

Mighty Member

Respect the Technique!!!

fist techniques.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Did anyone read Power Man and Iron Fist team-ups during and after Shadowland that featured new Power Man? I think they had two mini series. Were they good? And was the new Power Man used much after these minis or it was another case of "lets focus on new character for 1 year and then forget about him"?
    They were okay. Just okay. Victor seemed like he had a lot of potential. There were some cool fight scenes here and there. But I can't really remember much of what happened.

In any case, wanted to hear posters' thoughts on Iron Fist #3. As usual did my obligatory double reading on the issue. The story was okay and some of the fights looked cool but the dialogue is what gets me. In terms of story, Hama references current events in books. There are shout out's to Krakoa and Wave. He even references old Iron Fist stories, like how K'un Lun ended up in Tokyo. But, well, I get that Hama is writing in an old school manner, but some of it felt outdated. Reading Radiance talk, something about "baliwick" or some such, that confused the hell out of me.

Furthermore, Hama seems to be building something up with Okoye. It makes me think what is up with the solicit and cover for issue #6:

LARRY HAMA (W) • DAVID WACHTER (A)
    Cover by BILLY TAN
    Variant cover by TAKASHI OKAZAKI
    THE END OF HEAVEN?
    The dragons have fallen.
    A champion rises.
    An ending…and a new beginning?
    Is Okoye becoming an Immortal Weapon? The next Iron Fist? Don't think she'd be a champion for K'un Lun as her loyalties are definitely in Wakanda.
    "I am a man of peace."

Mighty Member

Anyone hear any rumors that they may kill Danny again at the end of the “Heart of the Dragon” series. There are rumors that Okoye may become the new Iron Fist be of the cover of issue number 6. I hope the rumor is not true. It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Anyone hear any rumors that they may kill Danny again at the end of the “Heart of the Dragon” series. There are rumors that Okoye may become the new Iron Fist be of the cover of issue number 6. I hope the rumor is not true. It makes no sense.
    Sounds horrible and nonsensical... so probably true. Danny is Iron Fist for me - no Danny, no sale.

I don't want Danny to die but I'm ok with him getting replaced. If Pei gets a solo while Danny joins a team book I'm fine with that.

Danny just never grabbed my attention like other characters have.

On the flip side, I wanna see what Al Ewing does with Danny. I loved his approach with the HULK and wouldn't mind if he did something similar.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-31-2021 at 08:46 AM.

I enjoyed issue 3, but I did think it read too quickly. I'm always bummed when I get through an issue in under five minutes.

I can't imagine Okoye being made an Iron Fist; she has nothing to do with the IF mythos. And obviously Pei was created to take Danny's place: it's somewhat obvious that that was Kaare's original plan in TLW. And while I do like Danny as a character, I will admit that he lacks that certain something that distinguishes him from other characters, which is why I think he works best bouncing off of other characters.

-Pav, who is Pei or bust...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Sounds horrible and nonsensical... so probably true. Danny is Iron Fist for me - no Danny, no sale.
    Me too. Against all odds and facing Banner, Rand proved his bravery (IMHO):

Mighty Member

I enjoyed issue 3, but I did think it read too quickly. I'm always bummed when I get through an issue in under five minutes.

I can't imagine Okoye being made an Iron Fist; she has nothing to do with the IF mythos. And obviously Pei was created to take Danny's place: it's somewhat obvious that that was Kaare's original plan in TLW. And while I do like Danny as a character, I will admit that he lacks that certain something that distinguishes him from other characters, which is why I think he works best bouncing off of other characters.

I believe that is because there really has not been a truly definitive run for Danny as Iron Fist. Almost every series, his personality is really different. The Claremont/Byrne character is different from the Power Man/Iron Fist version. The immortal Iron Fist Danny is so different than the Iron Fist-The Living Weapon Danny. My favorite Fist Series was the Immortal Iron Fist with Brubaker/Fraction/Aja but it is because of the world building in the mythology but Danny's character did not really grow. I let a friend read the series and he asked me why was Danny one of the least interesting characters in the series? I think that writers have a difficult nailing the character because there has not been a definitive Iron Fist written yet.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I believe that is because there really has not been a truly definitive run for Danny as Iron Fist. Almost every series, his personality is really different. The Claremont/Byrne character is different from the Power Man/Iron Fist version. The immortal Iron Fist Danny is so different than the Iron Fist-The Living Weapon Danny. My favorite Fist Series was the Immortal Iron Fist with Brubaker/Fraction/Aja but it is because of the world building in the mythology but Danny's character did not really grow. I let a friend read the series and he asked me why was Danny one of the least interesting characters in the series? I think that writers have a difficult nailing the character because there has not been a definitive Iron Fist written yet.
    I think he lacks a strong desire of his own. His life is pretty chill right now and he doesn't have anything he wants or needs.

He's pitched as an Outsider who is trapped between two worlds but that doesn't come across in the present. He fits in on Earth and in the superhero community pretty well.

There's Kun Lun but he doesn't have a real dynamic with it. He already chose Earth and Kun Lun isn't something he spends much time on. I get that he cares about but he never gets to be in it and deal with the people etc.

Originally he started out with a revenge story that got complicated and a ton of contradictions to sort out. But the comics didn't go through it beyond putting him with Luke Cage.

The TV show just made it worse instead of resolving it or putting the pieces together.

Ironically Immortal Iron Fist ended him with a couple of good things. He was becoming a father/husband, the Rand corporation was dissolved, and there was a portal to Kun Lun. Those ideas had potential and I wished they stuck with them.

I'm critical of Danny but I do like him. I just want him to be better.

Ed Brinson set up Danny as a member of the Midnight Sons. It would be cool if he sticks around as a member.

Him popping up as a PE teacher in Strange Academy could be fun.

I'm a fan of the new SWORD comic so him joining the group could be interesting. At the very least he'd get a cool outfit out of it.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-04-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think he lacks a strong desire of his own. His life is pretty chill right now and he doesn't have anything he wants or needs.

He's pitched as an Outsider who is trapped between two worlds but that doesn't come across in the present. He fits in on Earth and in the superhero community pretty well.

There's Kun Lun but he doesn't have a real dynamic with it. He already chose Earth and Kun Lun isn't something he spends much time on. I get that he cares about but he never gets to be in it and deal with the people etc.

Originally he started out with a revenge story that got complicated and a ton of contradictions to sort out. But the comics didn't go through it beyond putting him with Luke Cage.

The TV show just made it worse instead of resolving it or putting the pieces together.

Ironically Immortal Iron Fist ended him with a couple of good things. He was becoming a father/husband, the Rand corporation was dissolved, and there was a portal to Kun Lun. Those ideas had potential and I wished they stuck with them.

I'm critical of Danny but I do like him. I just want him to be better.

Ed Brinson set up Danny as a member of the Midnight Sons. It would be cool if he sticks around as a member.

Him popping up as a PE teacher in Strange Academy could be fun.

I'm a fan of the new SWORD comic so him joining the group could be interesting. At the very least he'd get a cool outfit out of it.
    A lot of good points here. And I agree with previous posts, that there are all of these conflicting depictions of Danny to the point where readers don't have a clear bead on his personality. There have been writers who have attempted to reconcile all these aspects. Personally, I think it can be done. Danny is complex and contradictory. But well, any individual can be. There just has to be the right writer who can have the proper amount of time to fit all of these pieces together.

As for Danny being replaced, I hope it doesn't happen. Definitely don't think it will happen in this miniseries. There are still so many stories to tell about him. Illustrious Mr. Kenway has pointed some excellent possibilities. I'm still down for a Spirits of Vengeance or Strange Academy appearance. I still would like to see him be the mentor to Pei. And of course, he and Luke will always be the best bromance of the MU.
    "I am a man of peace."

WELL

WELL

WELL.

What an issue!

So much revealed! So much left to figure out!

Definitely the best issue of the miniseries so far.

I can't wait to see what you all think of it.

-Pav, who adores the Spider Dragon...

--------------------