Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Honestly, the plotting of the netflix show felt like they wanted to piss off people concerned with cultural appropriation.

I mean, Danny basically gets the most powerful weapon of the people who saved him, and what does he do? Pisses off back home to reclaim his life/millions. Super douche move.

To counter the white savior, and Danny being a dick in the series, all they had to do was say that Danny was the latest in the long line of Iron Fists, and that the ruling council sent him out into the world to find and fight The Hand, over the objections of another faction of the Council that wanted him to just stand guard.

Mighty Member

What annoyed me is that they treated the Iron Fist as something that can just be given to a person. They even have it as a tattoo instead of a mystical brand. Like if you get this mystical tattoo, you can steel the Iron Fist. Oh and Danny just gives up the Iron Fist. Just gives it away. Or the fact that Finn Jones was hired a month or so before filming and had no athletic or martial art training. There was really no Thunderer in the show. The man who basically raised Danny. The actor playing Davos, Sacha Dhawan, was a better actor and athlete than Finn Jones but he was not intimidating at all. But season one show runner, Scott Buck, has put out crap shows like the later seasons of Dexter, Iron Fist and then the horrible Inhumans show.

I think even if they had done Iron Fist after Shang Chi, there still would have been a backlash. One Asian lead isn't going to cut it when there is like 8 other straight white guy leads.

My first thought when watching the Shang Chi trailer was 'this is everything IF should have been'.

Scott Buck's poor showrunning ability and Jeph Loeb's anti-Asian bias sank the Netflix shows before they got cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Yeah there was very little Asian representation in the MCU so Danny felt insulting to my East Asian friends. For reference I'm South Asian and I didn't have any good representation till Davos pops up. Before that, all I had were Raza and the fake madarin and both were chumps.

I was leaning for him to be mixed race. Having his mom come from Kun Lun would've given him more oppurtunities. His mom is paper thin and I know more about the wolf that killed her than I do his mom. So you can subvert the white savior trope by pushing it to his father instead. It's not an instant fix because the Netflix show had no idea what to do with him beyond hanging out with Luke Cage. So we'd be hating Lewis Tan instead of Finn Jones because Danny had murky motivations and poorly defined stakes. Colleen outshined him for that reason- I knew what she wanted etc.

Im hoping Disney+ just goes more like Thor Ragnarok with him. Just leave NY behind bro. I'd settle for him being a SWORD agent.

For reference- https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Fer...%20Luke%20Cage.

Ferocia is the wolf that killed his mom. She became sentient somehow. They should totally have her be like Unknown for Tekken. Merge her with Danny's mom's soul and lean into the horror.
    Yeah, it took them 10+ years but we are finally getting Ms Marvel.

I remember rooting for a mixed race IF as well. It would have made the 'man torn between two worlds' aspect of the character even more powerful.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think even if they had done Iron Fist after Shang Chi, there still would have been a backlash. One Asian lead isn't going to cut it when there is like 8 other straight white guy leads.

My first thought when watching the Shang Chi trailer was 'this is everything IF should have been'.

Scott Buck's poor showrunning ability and Jeph Loeb's anti-Asian bias sank the Netflix shows before they got cancelled.
    I did not hear about Leob's anti-Asian bias. What did he do or say?

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I did not hear about Leob's anti-Asian bias. What did he do or say?
    https://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/da...es-1234576440/

Peter Shinkoda (Nobu from Daredevil) accused him of racism.

Mighty Member

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/da...es-1234576440/

Peter Shinkoda (Nobu from Daredevil) accused him of racism.
    Now I remember reading about that. I liked Nobu as a Daredevil villain that was more skilled than Matt. Hate that they killed him off.

This topic made me wonder why the Iron Fist/Defenders show runner wrote K'un-Lun as a direct enemy of The Hand. I did not like that creative choice.

Ultimate Member

Now I remember reading about that. I liked Nobu as a Daredevil villain that was more skilled than Matt. Hate that they killed him off.

This topic made me wonder why the Iron Fist/Defenders show runner wrote K'un-Lun as a direct enemy of The Hand. I did not like that creative choice.
    Crossover for the Defenders, and Iron Fist needs ninja bad guys more than DD

They needed to build up the Hand for the Defenders and Danny needed an external threat to face.

The Meachums are a Lex Luthor style threat. Even in the comics they hired mercenaries to go after him.

Ironically having Danny going after the Hand solves his motivation problem.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-27-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Its creatively stifling. Especially since Shang Chi looks like a better IF movie than the actual IF show.

IF and Defenders had that problem of being too afraid to delve into the fantastical elements from the comics. Which makes you wonder why they even bothered using the Hand as villains and why, with Loeb's anti-Asian bias, they even went with Asian villains in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Its creatively stifling. Especially since Shang Chi looks like a better IF movie than the actual IF show.

IF and Defenders had that problem of being too afraid to delve into the fantastical elements from the comics. Which makes you wonder why they even bothered using the Hand as villains and why, with Loeb's anti-Asian bias, they even went with Asian villains in the first place.
    I think Loeb was looking for a Hydra-style threat and chose the Hand. This was before the shows realized their strengths were in being grounded. Plus its more cost effective.

This youtuber pitched an alternate version of the Defenders that I think would've worked better.

Instead of Hydra, they should've looked at Loki instead.

Danny would've been better suited to an urban fantasy tv show like Buffy and Angel. He could fight grounded threats with a Supernatural edge. Guys like Silvermane, the Hood or Timely Pharmaceuticals (Dr. Strange:The Oath).
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-27-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Mighty Member

I think Loeb was looking for a Hydra-style threat and chose the Hand. This was before the shows realized their strengths were in being grounded. Plus its more cost effective.

This youtuber pitched an alternate version of the Defenders that I think would've worked better.

Instead of Hydra, they should've looked at Loki instead.

Danny would've been better suited to an urban fantasy tv show like Buffy and Angel. He could fight grounded threats with a Supernatural edge. Guys like Silvermane, the Hood or Timely Pharmaceuticals (Dr. Strange:The Oath).
    I agree but I do not think they had the budget for more supernatural elements in their storytelling. I think I read that was one of the reasons the Iron Fist show was last. they had to get the special effects teams together and such. One of the problems I think hurt the show was having so many shows being produced at the same time. Imagine if Iron Fist could have had Daredevils stunt coordination team/s. I even wondered why didn't they just give Finn Jones the classic Iron Fist mask so that the stunt double could do the fight scenes. It was odd seeing DD wearing the IF style mask in the Defenders with IF wearing nothing.

I agree but I do not think they had the budget for more supernatural elements in their storytelling. I think I read that was one of the reasons the Iron Fist show was last. they had to get the special effects teams together and such. One of the problems I think hurt the show was having so many shows being produced at the same time. Imagine if Iron Fist could have had Daredevils stunt coordination team/s. I even wondered why didn't they just give Finn Jones the classic Iron Fist mask so that the stunt double could do the fight scenes. It was odd seeing DD wearing the IF style mask in the Defenders with IF wearing nothing.
    Yeah I had this theory daredevil season 2 ate up Iron Fist's budget. Because the initial deal for the Defenders was for 60 episodes spread across 5 shows. Daredevil getting an extra season probably tampered with that.

In hindsight Danny would've been better off on ABC or a bigger network.

All this IF talk brought back bad memories. I was so disappointed in that show, I was expecting the combat to be like Daredevil x10 but what we actually got was mediocre. Mind you this was after DD S2 so The Hand wasn't lame yet. Doesn't help that the finale villain in IF was also lame. Collen Wing (I think thats how you spell it.) ended being the saving grace for me.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Yeah I had this theory daredevil season 2 ate up Iron Fist's budget. Because the initial deal for the Defenders was for 60 episodes spread across 5 shows. Daredevil getting an extra season probably tampered with that.

In hindsight Danny would've been better off on ABC or a bigger network.
    Whoa, where'd you hear that?