https://deadline.com/2013/10/marvel-...tworks-611826/

The rest is just me speculating.

We also should've got a daughters of the dragon show
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    This probably a good guess, I remember them saying something about the choreography being rushed so it might be true.
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

The show had no end of problems, beginning with Daredevil's adaptation had made DD closer in style to IF in a lot of ways: a huge part of DD's style is that he's an acrobat, swinging into action more often than not - in the show you don't get that style of combat, his feet tend to planted on the ground; in the comics DD uses his billy-clubs as his trademark weapons, but in the show they make a late appearance in S1, and have disappeared by S3; DD in comics deals with street-crime much more than mystical martial arts villains, but in the show the Hand are pretty prominent; and of course his mask for most of S1 is very similar to IF's mask.

Then you had the problem that Scot Buck screwed with Danny's character and motivation for the early storyline - in the comics young Danny is a character you can't help rooting for because what happened to him was so horrible it immediately gets the audience on-side: he sees his father murdered before his eyes by a family friend, then sees his mother torn apart by wolves in an effort to save him. He achieves the Iron Fist because he's not motivated by pride or ambition, but but is hyper-focused on vengeance. That whole early arc should be Danny having no room in his life for anything but what he needs to do to kill Harrold Meachum, and then when he finally has vengeance within his grasp he realises that there is a difference between vengeance and justice, that Harrold isn't the all-powerful monster he's imagined him to be, and just learns to let go of his murderous intentions. The show, however... Danny's like some hippy surfer-dude who turns up from the dead wanting... cash! No real trauma from seeing his father murdered, or survivor's guilt from seeing his mom sacrifice herself for him, in the show his family die, as far as he is aware, in a plane accident. Why does he push himself to become Iron Fist if he wants to return home? Why does he need to be Iron Fist? It's all messed up.

Danny's first character arc should about his life being totally consumed by the single-minded pursuit of vengeance, and his second being about how he adjusts when he finally gets within reach of the thing he's sacrificed every part of his life for, only to realise it's not what he thought it would be at all, freeing himself of it, and realising that with the thing that totally had defined him as a person for the last ten years gone, he now has to work out who he is. But no, the show just made Danny a spoiled brat. And the fights looked crap.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    We also should've got a daughters of the dragon show
    Agreed. A definite Blockbuster (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-29-2021 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

I think we would've gotten a Daughters of the Dragon show if the Netflix/Disney+ beef didn't happen. It might've been a replacement show if one of the Defenders wraps up. For example JJ feels like it was on its way out. So Daughter's of the Dragon would have taken its place. Or Jessica Jones would've folded Misty and Colleen into its set up. Having Jess work with other two to keep Luke in check or take him down is a good hook.

Instead of joining one of the Defenders, him joining Shield or Sword would've been a better option.

Putting him with SWORD is playing to his strengths. The dude is really good at fighting so him investigating odd occurrences and fighting off the villians feels right to me. You could have him be the POV character for a potential SWORD show. It's a workplace drama with Danny as one of it's leads.

Plus Shield needed him more than Matt does. Danny would've worked out like Ghost Rider during season 4.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-29-2021 at 09:42 AM.

Mighty Member

This probably a good guess, I remember them saying something about the choreography being rushed so it might be true.
    I remember reading that they literally hired Jones about a month or six weeks before filming so they had to rush the martial arts scenes. He also had such little time to get into shape to play Danny. It just appeared that the Iron Fist series was rushed into production. I think that Marvel Netflix had too many plates spinning at the same time and IF suffered.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I remember reading that they literally hired Jones about a month or six weeks before filming so they had to rush the martial arts scenes. He also had such little time to get into shape to play Danny. It just appeared that the Iron Fist series was rushed into production. I think that Marvel Netflix had too many plates spinning at the same time and IF suffered.
    So thats why he looked like that, sounds like they set him up for failure then. I was expecting him to be built but he looked like a yoga instructor.

Ultimate Member

So thats why he looked like that, sounds like they set him up for failure then. I was expecting him to be built but he looked like a yoga instructor.
    I thought he was pretty good the second season, but the plotting/writing was always lacking

All this IF talk brought back bad memories. I was so disappointed in that show, I was expecting the combat to be like Daredevil x10 but what we actually got was mediocre. Mind you this was after DD S2 so The Hand wasn't lame yet. Doesn't help that the finale villain in IF was also lame. Collen Wing (I think thats how you spell it.) ended being the saving grace for me.
    Same. The only good thing about the show was introducing me to Jessica Henwick. She could do a movie where she just fold laundry and I would still watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I read that they had to get the solo shows and Defenders done by 2017 so that could have affected the overall quality of the shows. I also think they got impatient after seeing Daredevil's success that they rushed S2 which resulted in an uneven season.

JJ, LC and IF should have just been mini series before getting combined into a 'Heroes-For-Hire' show.

As for Finn Jones, even though I supported the 'Asian American Danny Rand' idea, I do think some of the vitriol he got was too much.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think Loeb was looking for a Hydra-style threat and chose the Hand. This was before the shows realized their strengths were in being grounded. Plus its more cost effective.

This youtuber pitched an alternate version of the Defenders that I think would've worked better.

Instead of Hydra, they should've looked at Loki instead.

Danny would've been better suited to an urban fantasy tv show like Buffy and Angel. He could fight grounded threats with a Supernatural edge. Guys like Silvermane, the Hood or Timely Pharmaceuticals (Dr. Strange:The Oath).
    The Hand are logical villains for the Defenders/Marvel Knights but if you are not going to flesh out your Asian characters, why make them the villains at all?
    They could gone with Silvermane or literally any other villain who weren't of Asian descent. They could have had Sigourney Weaver as a female Silvermane and they wouldn't have had to do the ninja stuff at all.

If anything, it shows how hard it is to run a cinematic universe and makes the movies success all the more freakish.

I think Loeb overestimated their appeal. In the comics they started out as a cool side threat and he thought that was enough for a tv show.
    It's just my guess.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Reading the Fraction/Brubaker run this weekend and having watched Defenders last week... that show is so skippable. Its really just people talking or fighting, a plot with no depth and cheap sets (I'll rewatch it for the DD parts in one or two years who am I kidding). Also sad to see Jessica Jones S2 amounting to nothing, DD Season 3 limping out of the gate (hope it will get better) while Punisher had a great Season One and goes out with a whimper as well. Curious for IF S2 and LC, though.

Danny will be appearing in an upcoming episode of Death Battle. His opponent will be Po from Kung Fu Panda.

Fantastic Member

I wish they would bring Master Khan. Iron Fist had like five or six different series and no Master Khan. Come on, Marvel. They're plenty of ways you can bring him back!master khan.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alpha Male; 05-07-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
    I wish they would bring Master Khan. Iron Fist had like five or six different series and no Master Khan. Come on, Marvel. They're plenty of ways you can bring him back!master khan.jpg
    I am actually shocked that he has not been brought back. That is so not like comic books.