Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

So Danny and Pei, I guess won’t show up for a while.
    I didn’t know this miniseries was “Death of the Inhumans” for Iron Fist

You guys are making it sound like Danny died in this mini, but I've not read it. Didn't like the look of the art, and Pei always reminds me of my hatred of Kaare Andrews' Living Weapon run.

spoilers:
    He didn't die, but he is depowered. Danny is no longer the Iron Fist!
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Well that's ****.

Ultimate Member

Eh, so what?

It's happened before. I'm sure he'll get it back, either in another mini or a writer simply ignoring the mini.

Marvel loves to return to the old status qou. Actual development is rare, and while there were some good scenes in the mini, it wasn't that great either ("Oh look, yet another character devoted to revenge for something from the 70s!").

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, so what?

It's happened before. I'm sure he'll get it back, either in another mini or a writer simply ignoring the mini.

Marvel loves to return to the old status qou. Actual development is rare, and while there were some good scenes in the mini, it wasn't that great either ("Oh look, yet another character devoted to revenge for something from the 70s!").
    Probably true, which is why I'm not overreacting about the end to this mini.

But I didn't like it. It feels incredibly arbitrary to make the "last" Iron Fist story with Danny one in which Okoye is the actual hero. I would've much rather gotten the ending I think we were supposed to get in The Living Weapon, with Danny sacrificing himself and Pei becoming the Iron Fist. At least that would've made more sense thematically, rather than the almost throw-away nature of this actually-drastic ending.

Like, Danny basically just shrugged his shoulders about losing the Iron Fist, when not too long ago at the beginning of Brisson's run, he was fully committed to keeping his powers intact.

Very unsatisfactory ending.

Highlight of the series was all the cool dragons. I think it peaked in issue #3.

-Pav, who also can't imagine officially trading SHOU-LAO THE UNDYING for f^#&ing GORK THE UNDYING...

...and I like Gork...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Out of curiosity has anyone been reading Robert Kirkman’s Firepower series ( which is basically an Iron Fist knock off ). I’ve been enjoying it, especially since Marvel freaking hates Danny.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Out of curiosity has anyone been reading Robert Kirkman’s Firepower series ( which is basically an Iron Fist knock off ). I’ve been enjoying it, especially since Marvel freaking hates Danny.
    No, I've never heard of it, but I'll check it out. I hate what Marvel have been doing with Danny, so maybe that will be more my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

But I didn't like it. It feels incredibly arbitrary to make the "last" Iron Fist story with Danny one in which Okoye is the actual hero. I would've much rather gotten the ending I think we were supposed to get in The Living Weapon, with Danny sacrificing himself and Pei becoming the Iron Fist. At least that would've made more sense thematically, rather than the almost throw-away nature of this actually-drastic ending.

Like, Danny basically just shrugged his shoulders about losing the Iron Fist, when not too long ago at the beginning of Brisson's run, he was fully committed to keeping his powers intact.

Highlight of the series was all the cool dragons. I think it peaked in issue #3.

-Pav, who also can't imagine officially trading SHOU-LAO THE UNDYING for f^#&ing GORK THE UNDYING...

...and I like Gork...
    Ironically this miniseries would've been better if it happened before the Brisson run. I always felt confused reading the first arc because Danny starts out trying to regain his powers but it's never shown how he lost it. This miniseries could've been the missing link between the Andrews run and Brisson run.

I read the first few issues. It's pretty good.

So they basically pulled an Iron Fist season 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

...and I like Gork...
    Agreed with some points here bro. Saw the spoilers first before reading the whole issue. I read the part where Danny said that he was never really good at being an Iron Fist. Now, that was jarring considering Brisson's run where Danny proved and outright stated that he earned being the Iron Fist. Reading the whole issue though, I could see how Danny would say that. Yeah he earned the title, but he's somewhat self-deprecating as well.

As for the issue itself, it felt better than the previous issues. More action to be sure. Lots more images of Danny punching stuff with the iron fist. But it was wretching to see Gork's sacrifice. It was frustating to see how Danny wasn't the focus. And yes, it was a hard pill to swallow seeing Danny give up the Iron Fist. Now, it gave off vibes from the second season of the Netflix series. I said before that I admired Danny being selfless then. And I say that Danny was selfless now. But part of this feels hollow. Over the past couple of years, Danny's profile has gone down. He's been overshadowed by other characters and especially the white savior controversy. If this was done to somehow correct the white savior controversy, the execution felt off. I'm all about empowering everyone, not taking away from others, privileged or not. There are still so many stories to tell with Danny Rand as Iron Fist.

I've been prepared for this though. The series hinted that Danny would be losing his powers. Okay, now we get to see how Danny is without the powers. Because I guarantee you, even without the Iron Fist, Danny Rand is still one of the top ten martial artists in the Marvel Universe. I'm all for him proving himself again. I'm all for a new holder of the Iron Fist as well. (Please don't let it be Shang-Chi though. Shang has proven throughout his whole career that he don't need no Iron Fist!) As long as Danny is in a good place, I'm good with that.

Oh yeah, I also wonder what will happen with Pei and Gork now. Loved them both!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Extraordinary Member

Iron fist is a mantle.Superheroes are all about the mantles these days.
    Cap america, thor, Spider-man, Batman etc.
    I would not be shocked if we get a new iron fist and Danny as the mentor

Ultimate Member

Eh, the pacing is poor, and action could be better.

Making a good kung fu series requires more than making the protagonist Asian

For me, Danny is the Iron Fist. No Danny, no sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Iron fist is a mantle.Superheroes are all about the mantles these days.
    Cap america, thor, Spider-man, Batman etc.
    I would not be shocked if we get a new iron fist and Danny as the mentor
    They already have two candidates. There's Pei from the Andrews run and Victor the second Power Man.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-03-2021 at 03:52 PM.