Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Default Rictor Appreciation 2021

Vibe Check! Rictor Appreciation 2021

First Appearance: X-Factor #17 (June 1987) Created By: Louise and Walt Simonson

Powers: Manipulation and generation of seismic vibrations, empathetic connection to the Earth, geokinesis, magic

Former Team Affiliations: X-Terminators, New Mutants, X-Force, and X-Factor

Currently appearing in Excalibur (2019)

Rictor appeared in the 2017 movie Logan, where he was portrayed by Jason Genao

Previous appreciation thread can be found Here

Happy New Year to Rictor .

I think he is going to end up being one of the most powerful non omega level mutants if he really leans into his magic

I'm curious to see what's next for Ric with this mutant magic stuff

From X-men Mondays https://aiptcomics.com/2021/01/18/x-...arousel-337479
    "AIPT: Speaking of people who miss Apocalypse… X-Fan Pame asked what made you choose Rictor as the cast member who would become interested in learning about and using mutant magic?
    Tini: He seemed like the perfect inheritor to Apocalypse’s very old style of magic. There’s a long cultural history of loners, sad folk, the ‘touched’ being able to be more open to the spiritual or magical world. I don’t think that’s always as obvious as ‘babbling at the sky,’ I think sometimes it just means that a quiet guy with really bad depression spends a lot of time in the vicinity of a certain kind of emotional rawness. It’s meant to feel ancient and fulfilling–you aren’t broken, you’re just meant for a role that doesn’t exist anymore, we can remake it for you. And in that he finds power. And that ties to his ability to feel the core of the Earth. They live on a living island, too, you know? Seemed significant. "

So full disclosure, I don't quite understand most of Tini's response. But I think her interpretation of Rictor as a depressed loner type is more or less spot on since he lost his powers on M-Day. I'm not sure it squares with everything that's happened to him since then (His time on X-factor, relationship with Shatterstar, owning a night club or whatever he was doing in that Shatterstar mini)

Since we are sticking with this magic direction, I'd like for there to be some exploration into Rictor's Mesoamerican roots. I think it'd be nice to ground his abilities to mutant history as well as his own people's myths/legends/stories.

So is his form of magic earth manipulation such as earth-bending and flora control? I haven't been reading Excalibur other than the XoS, so I not sure. And what about his mutant powers -- is he still using it?

Speaking of vibration: who is more powerful, Ric or Quake?

Rictor is the exact opposite of a "quiet loner". He is a character who has always been eager to find connections with other people. Even when he was at his most depressed in PAD's X-Factor he was so desperate for connection he began a sexual relationship with Wolfsbane and allowed himself to be used by Quicksilver who had some obviously shady stuff going on. It is this aspect of the character that justifies the relationship with Apocalypse that Howard was trying (poorly) to establish in Excalibur, if you are ignoring that part of his character then that relationship doesn't make any sense at all (although it barely does even with that characteristic).

Rictor wasn't even living on Krakoa at the beginning of Excalibur and has barely been on the island since, so that bit also doesn't make any sense. She still hasn't explained why his powers were out of control or what he did to "fix" them. She hasn't explained why he and Star broke up. She hasn't explained why, when asked if he had anyone to help him come to Krakoa he said he didn't. I guess Boom Boom, Wolfsbane, Rusty, Skids, Iceman (and the rest of the O5 to an extent), Cannonball, Sunspot, Warpath, Siryn, Multiple Man, Strong Guy, M, Polaris, and Magik were all busy or are no longer his friends. It's fine, I'm sure it all makes sense because of some nonsense that happened off panel that Howard will write one line of dialogue about in a single issue a year from now.

Nice power show in Excalibur 17, the dialogue was a little bit lame, thoScreenshot_20210127_115339_com.progdigy.cdisplay.free.jpg

I'm not a fan of the contrived Druid connection, but Julio getting angry and talking **** was in character, I liked that.

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

He's consistently drawn amazingly it's hard not to stare at him for too long lol.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I heart Rictor! Not a super fan of the recent Druid development but don't hate it either. I hope he gets a boyfriend soon, and possibly someone who isn't Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I heart Rictor! Not a super fan of the recent Druid development but don't hate it either. I hope he gets a boyfriend soon, and possibly someone who isn't Apocalypse.
    I still believe Tini plans to pair him with Cullen Bloodstone.

But I would be glad if Williams borrow him to rescue Star in her X-Factor.

Who is the artist of the pin-up in the first post? It's absolutely gorgeous.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    Who is the artist of the pin-up in the first post? It's absolutely gorgeous.
    Nick Robbles, @artofnickrobbles on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Nick Robbles, @artofnickrobbles on twitter.
    Thank you - I appreciate it!
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion