Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage variant cover by In Hyuk Lee.
    Pretty Boy Agent Woo .

Astonishing Member

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage variant cover by In Hyuk Lee.
    I'm also assuming Jimmy.

Kudos to this artist! Jimmy is looking mad fresh in this take, and I love it!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Since this seems to be the de facto Marvel Asian characters thread, here's the news that we will have a Filipino-American Captain America, Ari Agbayani! And yes, "Agbayani" is as Filipino as a name can be; "bayani" means hero in Tagalog/Filipino. Can we get her to meet the Agents when her Cap story ends?

Marvel's Newest Captain America Is a College-Age Filipino-American Woman

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Since this seems to be the de facto Marvel Asian characters thread, here's the news that we will have a Filipino-American Captain America, Ari Agbayani! And yes, "Agbayani" is as Filipino as a name can be; "bayani" means hero in Tagalog/Filipino. Can we get her to meet the Agents when her Cap story ends?

I thought that was her on the cover until I read the article and saw the actual design. Dramatically different .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought that was her on the cover until I read the article and saw the actual design. Dramatically different
    Oh yeah tell me about it. I thought this is who the new character was:

And if that's the case, who's the red head on the main cover? In any case, character seems interesting. Her backstory seems to incorporate elements of the Chanel Miller sexual assault case that happened a number of years ago. She has been thankfully reclaiming her identity from that assault for these past several years.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Oh yeah tell me about it. I thought this is who the new character was:

And if that's the case, who's the red head on the main cover? In any case, character seems interesting. Her backstory seems to incorporate elements of the Chanel Miller sexual assault case that happened a number of years ago. She has been thankfully reclaiming her identity from that assault for these past several years.
    Seems like she has some kind of connection to Walker, or at least the main Cap storyline the comic is running with alongside the other diverse Caps.

I thought she looked like an anime character and here comes Peach Momoko.

She gives me Winter Soldier vibes. I dig it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    And if that's the case, who's the red head on the main cover?
    "See one of the mysterious villains the Captains will be facing off against in Gerald Parel’s UNITED STATES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA #4 cover."

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    "See one of the mysterious villains the Captains will be facing off against in Gerald Parel’s UNITED STATES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA #4 cover."
    Ha, missed that. Thanks!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Turns out Ari's first name means genitals in Tagalog, a language commonly spoken by Filipinos. Whoops.

Ari's is the backup story, that's why her cover isn't the main one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Turns out Ari's first name means genitals in Tagalog, a language commonly spoken by Filipinos. Whoops.
    So she'll share a problem with 'Peter' Parker and 'Dick' Grayson?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

That's the more specific meaning, yes; but "ari" also means property in general, so it depends on the context. I rarely use it in the former context myself. I wonder though if it's just a nickname contracted from a longer name like "Ariel".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Depends on who's reading it.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

That's the more specific meaning, yes; but "ari" also means property in general, so it depends on the context. I rarely use it in the former context myself. I wonder though if it's just a nickname contracted from a longer name like "Ariel".
    Yep it is a nickname. According to the writer it is short for Arielle.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/crashwong...23051925069825

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Well, that problem is probably why Nova uses Rich instead. Dick's name was a problem even before he became Nightwing (which was in 1984 - Nova debuted in the late 70s), and the only reason he's still called that is Grandfather Clause. A new character wouldn't be called that now that Dick is a common word for penis.

What's the problem with Peter?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Well, that problem is probably why Nova uses Rich instead. Dick's name was a problem even before he became Nightwing (which was in 1984 - Nova debuted in the late 70s), and the only reason he's still called that is Grandfather Clause. A new character wouldn't be called that now that Dick is a common word for penis.

What's the problem with Peter?
    Same as Dick? Peter's a (less common) euphemism for penis. Also Johnson, but I don't know any heroes named Johnson.

And yeah, Nova's got it bad. Dick Grayson is just a name, but Dick Rider would be... unfortunate.