Page 27 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    An all-female team plus Gambit might be the best, most funnest thing ever. Sure, he would get slapped around a lot… but he’s a good sport about it.
    I would totally read a Leah William's blast squad book.

Speaking of which ... there is this:
    EXCAL2019022_Preview-page-003-1012x1536.jpg

I can't decide if I want to talk myself into giving this yet another chance. Clearly the message has been received that Gambit ought to be far more capable and actually doing something.

Anyone still giving it a go?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    I can't decide if I want to talk myself into giving this yet another chance. Clearly the message has been received that Gambit ought to be far more capable and actually doing something.

Yeah, as usual I am going to be getting and reading it(yes, I am a sucker when it comes to Gambit being in a book). Like you said, maybe Howard is going to finally let Gambit be useful and actually be used as more than background. Still really not feeling the dialogue though, so I don't have high hopes.

Mighty Member

I would totally read a Leah William's blast squad book.

Speaking of which ... there is this:
    EXCAL2019022_Preview-page-003-1012x1536.jpg

I’m just waiting for a crossover with some other books. But fun fact Gambit having superhearing is potentially due to his agility. Very agile and coordinated people have good inner ear balance. And that would affect his hearing to make it stronger

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    Yeah, as usual I am going to be getting and reading it(yes, I am a sucker when it comes to Gambit being in a book). Like you said, maybe Howard is going to finally let Gambit be useful and actually be used as more than background. Still really not feeling the dialogue though, so I don't have high hopes.
    Honestly, I can't blame you. That's how I usually am when it comes to Gambit books. Heck, I was reading X-Men Legacy when I was first getting back into comics bc I was hungry for some Gambit/Rogue content.

I am curious about what this new Excalibur arc will be like. I have no plans on picking it up at this point, but if I hear really, really good things then I'll check it out
    Make Good Art

Definitely let us know if it's worth checking out next week. If Gambit has to be stuck here, then I'd like to see it improve and win me back.

I hestitate to give it another chance because I've been burned by it multiple times where a preview or panel gets my hope up for a good portrayal only for the issue to be severely dissapointing.

I hope it will be decent this time.

Make Good Art

I don't want to dampen any positivity growing but at the same time I want to vent my feelings.

There are so many vague things that by no means need to be vague in Excalibur. Gambit and his powers don't need to be vague. What exactly does he do to that bullet?

As i have stated in the preview thread the speed needed for that move bothers me. The bullet is so very close and yet Gambit stops it. If it was just him barely dodging it(perhaps being graced by it) I still would call it impressive. Impressive as in very agile and fast. Still bending the boundaries of Gambits speed. Reminiscent to the days of early X-men when he was deflecting Forge's bullets with his Bo. In this case he went from cold still to reacting. With so little time and space. It just seems like a move that puts him over the top. It's to much.

Perhaps it ties into his Death persona appearing again. It would make sense for Howard to use it. Seeing how little interest she has shown in normal Gambit. Perhaps it would be worth it just to see Deathbit shatter Rictors illusions of Apocalypse. I would pay for a issue of Deathbit just pummeling Rictor.

I've never stopped reading because I am a sucker for any comic with Gambit.
    I think the artist may have drawn the bullet too close to Gambit.
    Why is there talk of Gambit getting a story arc out of this? I feel like I missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nopozyzy View Post
    Why is there talk of Gambit getting a story arc out of this? I feel like I missed something.
    Tini has stated in recent interviews that she has "plans" for him, so I think between that and the new previews, people are speculating that he will be getting some focus for a bit.

I'm personally done with the book though, so unless he is getting a lot of focus and it's actually good, I'm probably not going to bother.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Nopozyzy View Post
    In one of the recent X-Men Monday interviews with JDW it was revealed that where to put Gambit after Rogue went to X-Men had been discussed among the writing room and Tini indicated she had plans for Gambit in Excalibur which is why he stayed. *shrug* ... ready to see her prove that.

Definitely let us know if it's worth checking out next week.
    Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Interesting indeed! And if he is doing a Gambit book it would be a dream come true for me personally. Unfortunately, I would think we would have heard of it by now if he is really on issue 3. Also, Marvel doesn't seem too eager to give Claremont work aside from the occasional one-shot. Here's hoping though.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I don't want to dampen any positivity growing but at the same time I want to vent my feelings.

There are so many vague things that by no means need to be vague in Excalibur. Gambit and his powers don't need to be vague. What exactly does he do to that bullet?

As i have stated in the preview thread the speed needed for that move bothers me. The bullet is so very close and yet Gambit stops it. If it was just him barely dodging it(perhaps being graced by it) I still would call it impressive. Impressive as in very agile and fast. Still bending the boundaries of Gambits speed. Reminiscent to the days of early X-men when he was deflecting Forge's bullets with his Bo. In this case he went from cold still to reacting. With so little time and space. It just seems like a move that puts him over the top. It's to much.
    No, I am right there with you. I appreciate Gambit being shown as competent and fast for once in this series, but this just seems off and over the top like you said. Same with the missile feat earlier in the series. I would love for Gambit to be back to his bullet dodging, extremely skilled and agile self, but this is something else entirely. Unfortunately, all of the characters powers have been vague and weird under Howard's pen, and I seriously think it is because she is not very familiar with almost any of the characters or their powersets. I mean we are 20+ issues in and I still don't know how Captain Britain Betsy is different from regular Psylocke Betsy powerwise. Anyway, I seriously doubt later writers will continue to incorporate this new kind of ability into Gambit's powerset that is for sure.

I think people just forgot how fast and badass Gambit can be. Cool moment with him blowing up that bullet. Gambit is that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I think people just forgot how fast and badass Gambit can be. Cool moment with him blowing up that bullet. Gambit is that fast.
    Oh no doubt at all Gambit is extremely fast and has incredible reflexes(and yes I LOVE all those Claremont bullet dodging and missile catching moments). This is beyond that kind of fast though. Just noticing the bullet that close and stopping it are Quicksilver or Northstar levels of reaction time and speed. Oh well, I will definitely take it though. It is certainly a huge upgrade and improvement over falling into holes Gambit or flashes of useless light Gambit.

I’m glad we have an avant-garde of book buyers to test the waters.

I worry the preview will be all the action we’ll see for Remy. The preview is meant to entice buyers. But…’Fool me once, you won’t get fooled again!’ Probably just the set up for them ending up in Azkaban. Gambit gets caught stealin’, then chained to a wall.

If Malachi is right, and Deathbit open hand slaps Rictor in his face, I will buy ten copies and all of you drinks.

Interesting indeed! And if he is doing a Gambit book it would be a dream come true for me personally. Unfortunately, I would think we would have heard of it by now if he is really on issue 3. Also, Marvel doesn't seem too eager to give Claremont work aside from the occasional one-shot. Here's hoping thou
    I would love a new Gambit book by Claremont but I don't see him writing for Krakoa era.
    It is only a script so it can be on third issue and without solicits yet. Probably Inferno ending would launch some new X books. Will see.