Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by renegade View Post
    In a perfect world it would've been nice if we got a more solid arc coming out of this, but so is the way of comics, it works really well with him rekindling his relationship with Rogue later on and shows how much his character can develop given the chance.

Attachment 111631

Did they imply he wasn't a womanizer who flirted with women? Cause one thing we know about Remy, he's a bit of a scamp.

Nothing new in it but some new Gambit articles.

Chris Claremont Teases New Gambit Comic Book Series From Marvel?
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/chri...s-from-marvel/

X-Men: How Gambit STOLE His Biggest Power Boost in Years
    https://www.cbr.com/x-men-gambit-tar...s-power-boost/

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Chris Claremont Teases New Gambit Comic Book Series From Marvel?
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/chri...s-from-marvel/
    fat chance

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Did they imply he wasn't a womanizer who flirted with women? Cause one thing we know about Remy, he's a bit of a scamp.
    Mais jamais, not a womanizer. He is a sex-positive adult male who enjoys variety in his love life. Those X-Jerks who say he’s a womanizer should be called out for slut-shaming the man! I agree. Just a bit of a scamp. A bit.

Nothing new in it but some new Gambit articles.

I guess magic cards could be the tie-in to Inferno as suggested by the article. Maybe Gambit can play The Tower card and blow up the lighthouse. It’d be fun to speculate what the other Major Arcana cards could do. Gambit has associated himself as the wild card, Joker, or in Tarot - the Fool. But there’s also a Devil card and a Death card.

Mighty Member

So confirmed it was a kinetic removal and not a fast reflex thing? Or are they just parroting what we on the internet were saying?

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    Mais jamais, not a womanizer. He is a sex-positive adult male who enjoys variety in his love life. Those X-Jerks who say he’s a womanizer should be called out for slut-shaming the man! I agree. Just a bit of a scamp. A bit.

He's just ever so scampy. He's a scampy Gamby. I just found it weird how that comic said he wasn't a womanizer at all. He totally was before rogue lol.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I feel like we're starting to split hairs here a bit. Regardless, I can't blame a writer for wanting to ditch the "womanizer" attribute, given how negative its connotations are.
    Make Good Art

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I feel like we're starting to split hairs here a bit. Regardless, I can't blame a writer for wanting to ditch the "womanizer" attribute, given how negative its connotations are.
    I can't even recall which comic its from? And yeah I get it makes sense to ditch it. Totally get it. I think it plays into his psychology though of low self worth and feeling unloved orphan. Someone who never wants to get too close to people or they will see his flaws. I think with Rogue there's a natural barrier for him and it allows him to stay around her long enough to realize he's capable of deeper feelings than he expects

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I can't even recall which comic its from? And yeah I get it makes sense to ditch it. Totally get it. I think it plays into his psychology though of low self worth and feeling unloved orphan. Someone who never wants to get too close to people or they will see his flaws. I think with Rogue there's a natural barrier for him and it allows him to stay around her long enough to realize he's capable of deeper feelings than he expects
    I think that is an apt description. He puts on a show as a defense mechanism, but when it comes down to it, he is capable of having something deeper with someone
    Make Good Art

Mighty Member

If you guys could update Gambits backstory from New Orleans, do yo think it would need anything to be a 2021 story? Especially thieves guilds and stuff. The tithing and stuff. Or maybe New Orleans customs? I was reading a cool article on Creole vs Cajun and it's interesting how New Orleans is changing for the modern world.
    Last edited by Gripstir; 07-20-2021 at 01:16 PM.

All-New Member

X-23 Issue 13 or 14, I'm not sure which, but I took it as Remy poking a bit of fun at his reputation as a womanizer more than anything hence the smile afterwards.

Honestly, I'd say the word womanizer has a lot of negative connotations associated with it, though it's no necessarily sexist, there's a difference between a guy with a lot of consensual hookups and a guy who's purposely leaving behind a trail of broken women for the fun of it, but I don't expect every comic writer to see things that way.

If you guys could update Gambits backstory from New Orleans, do yo think it would need anything to be a 2021 story? Especially thieves guilds and stuff. The tithing and stuff. Or maybe New Orleans customs? I was reading a cool article on Creole vs Cajun and it's interesting how New Orleans is changing for the modern world.
    I quite like his origins, and the area is known for being pretty timeless, but it could definitely be modernized in some cool ways I think. I'm sure if they ever bring him to live action they'll pull away from the more mystical elements though.
    Last edited by renegade; 07-20-2021 at 02:26 PM.

I really love it. Definitely needs a bit further modernizing. I really like where Asmus went with showing it as an international crime syndicate and secret society. Really even Niceiza showed a lot of this as well. It also could use more digging into true NOLA history and pull from both Cajun and Creole culture. Characters like Tante Mattie need more development and significance.

We know Jean-Luc is old. VERY old - presumably from having taken the Elixir of Life. Which incidentally I was just pondering recently after listening to a podcast about Nicholas Flamel (yes, the one from Harry Potter) - that character is based on real life legend apparently and this was a real person who supposedly did pursue creation of the Philosopher's Stone and Elixir of Life. Someone really ought to run with that for a miniseries. How did Candra get the Elixir? Is she connected to Flamel? Could even connect it all up to freemasonry and expand on some of the prophesies. Anyway ... getting off track here ... mainly just to say, I have always presumed/headcannoned that Jean-Luc came to NOLA in it's early history, possibly while LA was still a territory, as part of expanding the Guild into the new world or finding a new base of operations.

The Thieves Guild could be much older than we know from canon even and is obviously already tied into some Old World mysticism based on what HAS been presented in canon. I wish Marvel would do more to legitimize them as a crime family with a more significant role as antagonists and allies alike, similar to The Hellfire Club.

If you guys could update Gambits backstory from New Orleans, do yo think it would need anything to be a 2021 story?
    Simplify the early childhood stuff. I wonder that FabNic didn't make it overly complicated just to mine additional Stories of Childhood Trauma. It's a lot. I could do without that creepy pedo wizard guy/Velvet Ministry stuff.

Do you have a link to the article?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    I really love it. Definitely needs a bit further modernizing. I really like where Asmus went with showing it as an international crime syndicate and secret society. Really even Niceiza showed a lot of this as well. It also could use more digging into true NOLA history and pull from both Cajun and Creole culture. Characters like Tante Mattie need more development and significance.

We know Jean-Luc is old. VERY old - presumably from having taken the Elixir of Life. Which incidentally I was just pondering recently after listening to a podcast about Nicholas Flamel (yes, the one from Harry Potter) - that character is based on real life legend apparently and this was a real person who supposedly did pursue creation of the Philosopher's Stone and Elixir of Life. Someone really ought to run with that for a miniseries. How did Candra get the Elixir? Is she connected to Flamel? Could even connect it all up to freemasonry and expand on some of the prophesies. Anyway ... getting off track here ... mainly just to say, I have always presumed/headcannoned that Jean-Luc came to NOLA in it's early history, possibly while LA was still a territory, as part of expanding the Guild into the new world or finding a new base of operations.

The Thieves Guild could be much older than we know from canon even and is obviously already tied into some Old World mysticism based on what HAS been presented in canon. I wish Marvel would do more to legitimize them as a crime family with a more significant role as antagonists and allies alike, similar to The Hellfire Club.
    YES. Back to the International Crime Society. Please go ahead and get off track. I *love* the Nicholas Flamel angle. Write it, I will BE THERE FOR IT.

Anything that ties them back to French ancestry really, but I'm a huge Francophile. Given the druidic appearance of their earlier garments, their internal government is a council with clan representatives, and the New Kingdom was centered in Turkey (which would have been Galatia) I'd internalized that they came from the Gauls. Also, my French teacher used to reward us by letting us read Asterix the Gaul in class and I'm all about a French hero.

NOLA is interesting in the early territory stuff, since France abolished slavery prior to the US acquisition of it. So if Mattie was there before it became part of the US, she would have been born a Free Woman of Color, which would explain how she was able to own property. One of the few places in the US that POC could actually build generational wealth.

I like the mysticism/blending of cultures/Voodoo stuff in FabNic's and to some extent Asmus' stories. When KT wrote the Guild, it was like: who are these D-list two-bit hoods claiming they're the Guild? Did Gambit get demoted? He was their king, now he's trying to hold onto leadership of a bunch of poorly dressed thugs? Bring back the mystery and magic!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by renegade View Post
    X-23 Issue 13 or 14, I'm not sure which, but I took it as Remy poking a bit of fun at his reputation as a womanizer more than anything hence the smile afterwards.
    I think you're right about just being a bit modest or something, doesn't want people knowing his scampyness lol. And yeah I think just maybe his tech needs to be updated a bit and some of the customs and stuff. Maybe Gambit is more interested in the modern world. So much of the modern security is digital or high tech so he would need to upgrade some of his tools. Or maybe his powers could he useful more in modern systems.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Characters like Tante Mattie need more development and significance.

We know Jean-Luc is old. VERY old - presumably from having taken the Elixir of Life. Which incidentally I was just pondering recently after listening to a podcast about Nicholas Flamel (yes, the one from Harry Potter) - that character is based on real life legend apparently and this was a real person who supposedly did pursue creation of the Philosopher's Stone and Elixir of Life. have always presumed/headcannoned that Jean-Luc came to NOLA in it's early history, possibly while LA was still a territory, as part of expanding the Guild into the new world or finding a new base of operations.

Good stuff here. So much of the thieves guild like Tanti and Jean Luc and Candra all deal with immortality, where Gambit is kind of a thrill seeker who likes to laugh at death. I find that pretty cool. And I had no Idea Flemel was based on a real story. Shoutout to JK Rowling for popularizing him lol.

As for Jean Luc's arrival it could coincide with history a bit. The Acadians settled in Nova Scotia in like the 18th or 19th Century, but were driven out due to their Catholic faith. So in the 1800s they resettled in New Orleans. And I like the idea of seeing the origins of the Elixir and the thieves guild. Seeing it get built would be awesome and being new to the area maybe is what let Candra get them to do the tithing.

I remember learning about the New York thieves guild and seeing them be really strong. I'd like to see New Orleans have that kind of flair but with more of a dirty Cajun style to it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    Simplify the early childhood stuff. I wonder that FabNic didn't make it overly complicated just to mine additional Stories of Childhood Trauma. It's a lot. I could do without that creepy pedo wizard guy/Velvet Ministry stuff.

Do you have a link to the article?
    One of the things I'd like to see happen is that Gambit used his charm powers on Jean Luc and that's how he got adopted rather than the Given to them storyline

I was going down a cultural rabbit hole and when I saw the article I had to read it. I'll try to find it and edit this comment with one of the articles I can find

Anything that ties them back to French ancestry really, but I'm a huge Francophile. Also, my French teacher used to reward us by letting us read Asterix the Gaul in class and I'm all about a French hero.
    It's interesting Cajuns were actually banned from speaking French for awhile but then there was a movement to bring it back in.

Gotta love a teacher that rewards you with reading lol. Is it really good though?

I like the mysticism/blending of cultures/Voodoo stuff in FabNic's and to some extent Asmus' stories. When KT wrote the Guild, it was like: who are these D-list two-bit hoods claiming they're the Guild? Did Gambit get demoted? He was their king, now he's trying to hold onto leadership of a bunch of poorly dressed thugs? Bring back the mystery and magic!
    Yeah I personally think Gambit as the king of of the thieves guild didn't work because the only time they showed him with the thieves guild was him being sad that he had to lead them. At the very least I would have liked to see Gambit put his own stamp on the guild. But he seemed just as bored as the audience with the thieves guild lol.

I definitely want to see them explore the complexity of the guilds. Idk if that means mysticism or more political international connections but I want a web I gotta go through to understand their complicated nature

Edit: I managed to find one of the articles I read. Very cool read

https://www.hnoc.org/publications/fi...e-or-there-one
    Last edited by Gripstir; 07-21-2021 at 08:50 PM.

NicoPony has found some new cool Gambit funko.

Hot Topic exclusive Gambit with Cat releasing in the next few weeks for International Cat Day. We need to show it to Anka.