Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Yup, great point (and great points all-around).
    Yes! Applause all around for these great summaries.

I think a difference between him and Logan when it comes to these young characters is that Remy understands the importance of being there. While Logan preaches the importance of giving them space to sort things out. Both consequences of their lives. With Remy understanding the importance of having someone stay with you when it gets tough. Even if the person themself dont' think they want it or deserve it.

Gambit might think he desires solitude but he doesn't want it.

I'm a big sucker for the friendship between him and Laura because they both give each other what they need. Overall it seems Gambit prefers people that call him out on his **** but also stays with him. Both Laura and Bishop seems to fall in that category. Because they confirm his fears about his behaviour but also validate his hope that he's worth their friendship/love. I would love to see more of him and Bishop in this era.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I would love to see more of him and Bishop in this era.
    Same. It's a crime that Bishop is finally "good" again and on an X-Team and the most interaction we've had between the 2 of them is from the wedding
    Make Good Art

Remy and Bishop were on Astonishing together and Soule did nothing. One more lame team cough secret solo cough book.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Remy and Bishop were on Astonishing together and Soule did nothing. One more lame team cough secret solo cough book.
    I keep forgetting that book ever existed. Can someone refresh my memory: Did Gambit have any good moments?

Oh god, I forgot about that too. Yeah, they had like no notable interactions iirc.

As far as Gambit having any good moments, I don't remember any other than when he kicked Fanto through one of the doors, which was great.
    Make Good Art

Oh god, I forgot about that too. Yeah, they had like no notable interactions iirc.

As far as Gambit having any good moments, I don't remember any other than when he kicked Fanto through one of the doors, which was great.
    Yes. Only that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    I do agree with the writing badass/child trope. But from a characterization POV, Gambit is playful, impulsive and sometimes juvenile. He's a lighthearted counterpoint to X-23 or Storm's seriousness, there to remind them life is fun even when things are grim. He tells Storm they got on so well because when they first met, they were on the same maturity level. When Storm complains that Jubliee is being loud, he reminds her to cut the girl some slack, she's just a kid. He teases Laura and reads kids books to her. When Xavier chastises him about properly disposing of his cigarette butt, Remy admits he's a kid at heart. Having no childhood, Remy probably either emotionally stunted or trying to capture something he was denied.

The Origins story spells it out, as Jean-Luc gives him **** about his sentimentality, his gallantry, his desire to rescue damsels, to commit small acts of kindness to buy redemption. JL tells him to be pragmatic. So Gambit goes buys himself a bright pink costume, like: I'LL SHOW YOU, DAD!
    His immaturity actually is a good way to explain him. He is a bit of a brat at times I will totally admit it and wish we could see more of that kind of Gambit. Kind of rebel. Actually I think both him and Rogue work together well because they are both semi immature. Like how she hits him or calls him swamp rat. A more mature couple would sit down and have talks about how the things they do are problematic but there’s something cute about how immature they both can be to each other but it never goes over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant101 View Post
    Seeing Gambit with Little Storm, Can someone explain what is the reason Gambit is close to young women? Ultimate Gambit, jubilee, X23, marrow?
    Think it comes down to Gambit being abandoned as a child and thus being drawn towards other vulnerable children. Then add to that his guilt over essentially turning Marrow into an orphan and think it would be natural for him to develop a desire to protect other vulnerable young women as a means of redemption. Of course that would be my psychological profile of Gambit if he were real.

From a meta perspective, I think it is simply the case that it was down to writer preferences. Claremont needed a stand in for Longshot and Storm happened to be deaged. There really wasn't much thought to Marrow as that story was written before Gambit was pigeon-holed into the Mutant Massacre years after the fact. Finally Jubilee and X-23 are pretty much entirely the result of Marjorie Liu loving Gambit from X-TAS and then wanting to write him into her X-23 book along with Jubilee. Jubilee and Gambit weren't actually close in the comics until Liu's run. She was closer with Wolverine and actually resented Gambit in the comics to some extent. Liu just took the fun Gambit and Jubilee relationship in X-TAS and put it in her X-23 book.

In short, I think it was really only Liu that made a conscious effort to make him a protector of young women again due to her love of X-TAS.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Last edited by Purplevit; 06-08-2021 at 07:32 AM.

I love these old cards and the data on the back. I find it interesting that Cyclops, Psylocke, Gambit, and Wolverine all have the same intelligence and then Storm has more and Rogue has less. That seems...off lol
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post

Wow, blast from the past! I really appreciate that Gambit has shades here. That really makes a ton of sense for him when trying to be incognito in a crowd of regular humans. It always baffles me when writers forget that Remy can't completely pass for human.

I love these old cards and the data on the back. I find it interesting that Cyclops, Psylocke, Gambit, and Wolverine all have the same intelligence and then Storm has more and Rogue has less. That seems...off lol
    Power grids are usuallly incorrect.
    Gambit h2h skills never should be lower than 5 and at least 1 point more then Cyke and Storm.

I wish we would get a writer that would use his skills right again. I miss his agility, speed, h2h, huge explosions, charm and jokes.

Mighty Member

BA8EA4B1-78BC-436C-8B94-ECBE9BB43E2C.jpg
    1C3232A8-57E0-415F-8A42-6A1B143DF2FC.jpg

Here’s Another from around the same time as that set

I love them, as well.

No matter how inconsistent the data/stats were, the artwork & novelty of comic book characters on trading cards more than made up for it (IMHO):