Page 47 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I know Bachalo isn't everyone's cup of tea, but that Gambit image was what always popped in my head when I thought about him for the longest time.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I was wondering, based on current information we have, how would you guys write this scene differently? Or do you think it works as is?

Other than the fact I wish the team stuck together the whole time rather than this side mission I would have added some footnotes on the point of the game or explain something. That way we the audience would know Remy is about to mess up rather than waiting for the other characters to tell us. Either that or give a moment of suspense as if using the card maybe did actually work and they were in shock for a moment. Then we realize they were shocked at the bravado of using a card not found in the game. And maybe since they know about the magical cards let the other players drop a nugget of info about the cards. Just to give it some suspense.

I know Tinis writing isn’t everyone’s favorite but I would love to hear ideas

It seems Tini mentions where the cards from more as a to confirm what we suspect and assume. It’s not a twist or something that seems to lead somewhere. More just info that matters if you are into cataloguing magic.

The reveal of what the card does is just wasted. The biggest scene. The one you build up to is not there. It’s not subversion, it’s lazy or sloppy.

Why mention that it’s the arcana? Remy can just have a line like: “the next card is wild”.

Then let him charge it to activate it mutant magic style. A slight charge.

Perhaps a scene where the card transfers all valuables to him. Everyone in the room is affected. Or perhaps it transmutes one or all of his opponents to gold. Just something unexpected that shocks them all.

That way you still get the humor and the focus on what the card does. Just in a way that makes some sense.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    Making sense of this is an exercise in futility. I’m hoping the point of the scene isn’t another depiction of just how stupid Betsy’s Bimbo Brigade is, but has something to do with the card he played.

The World (XXI) is the 21st trump or Major Arcana card in the tarot deck. It is the final card of the Major Arcana or tarot trump sequence. Wikipedia
    Depiction: A naked woman/man hovers or dances above the earth holding a staff in each hand, surrounded by a green wreath, being watched by various creatures.
    Meaning: The World represents an ending to a cycle of life, a pause in life before the next big cycle beginning with the fool. It is an indicator of a major and inexorable change, of tectonic breadth.
    Upright card: Achievement, Fulfillment, Possibilities, Successful conclusions
    Reversed card: Delayed success, Failed plans, Lack of completion, Stagnation

If the next cycle involves The Fool, or The Joker in a traditional deck, that’s usually Remy’s card.
    I don’t know much about tarot but imagine if this is all part of a big plan. Less likely if the book gets rebooted but I feel like there has to be a reason for these cards. If Tini knows the book might end maybe she’s setting it up for the end

I don’t know much about tarot but imagine if this is all part of a big plan. Less likely if the book gets rebooted but I feel like there has to be a reason for these cards. If Tini knows the book might end maybe she’s setting it up for the end
    With the announcement of Hellions ending in December I’m hopeful this book is done. What a huge waste of a cast and nothingburger of a plot. If it continues…man, that’ll really burn my biscuits.

You are giving Tini too much credit. Was there a reason for Rictor and Apoc pairing? Blue guy left a book with his ancient family.
    Excalibur is a book about Betsy and after 23 issues we don't even know what is her powers as CapBrit.
    I doubt that we will have anything for Gambit in last 3 issues.

With the announcement of Hellions ending in December I’m hopeful this book is done. What a huge waste of a cast and nothingburger of a plot. If it continues…man, that’ll really burn my biscuits.
    I am waiting for Exclaibur ending announcement and I will celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I am waiting for Exclaibur ending announcement and I will celebrate.
    If there is any justice, Excalibur will end. I will be right there celebrating with you.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    You are giving Tini too much credit. Was there a reason for Rictor and Apoc pairing? Blue guy left a book with his ancient family.
    Excalibur is a book about Betsy and after 23 issues we don't even know what is her powers as CapBrit.
    I doubt that we will have anything for Gambit in last 3 issues.
    I do feel like the Apoc thing was a casualty of the crossover nature of these books. I have to believe Jonathan Hickman wouldn’t have brought her to substack if she didn’t have some kind of skill in long form storytelling.

Oh geez, Hellions got the boot? Well after taking out that book AND X-Factor, there's no justice in the world if Excalibur doesn't end too. I haven't wanted a series over this bad since Milligan was writing.

Mighty Member

> EXCALIBUR #26
    TINI HOWARD (W) • MARCUS TO (A)
    Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
    Variant Cover by BETSY COLA
    OTHERWORLD FALLS! Merlyn and King Arthur have taken the Starlight Citadel. Saturnyne still lives – but not for long. Betsy Braddock must decide once and for all where her loyalties lie. It's all been building to this – the fantasy ends here and reality rushes in. There is no haven for the witchbreed. Can they hold on to their champion, here at the twilight of an age?
    They are probably just referring to the storyline but I do find it interesting they used the phrase “the fantasy ends here”

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Idk. It sounds like a finale to me, especially because other books are ending the same month.
    Make Good Art

> EXCALIBUR #26

They are probably just referring to the storyline but I do find it interesting they used the phrase “the fantasy ends here”
    That ending doesn't feel properly built up. There has been too much sideplots and other distractions for that to be the endgame. Merlyn himself and Arthur wasn't introduced until after 20+ issues.

I know people have mentioned it before but if Excalibur ends at 26 issues it will be hard for future readers to define what that book was about. It will be one of those "well they started out with plot A and B but then they got distracted and never really resolved them".

It is dead, finally.
    Lets hope that 2022 will be a good year.

The cover for 26 has Betsy stabbing the image of Gambit in the head. I think maybe the artist doesn’t like him.

Goodbye Fantasy, goodbye Magic!Emma Frost, goodbye firehose of nonsense plot threads that do not logically proceed to the next issue to create some fake suspense that doesn’t actually culminate in anything rewarding.

Now I guess we wait until next March before seeing Gambit in a book again. I picked a real bad time to come back to this hobby, methinks.

The cover for 26 has Betsy stabbing the image of Gambit in the head. I think maybe the artist doesn’t like him.

Goodbye Fantasy, goodbye Magic!Emma Frost, goodbye firehose of nonsense plot threads that do not logically proceed to the next issue to create some fake suspense that doesn’t actually culminate in anything rewarding.

Now I guess we wait until next March before seeing Gambit in a book again. I picked a real bad time to come back to this hobby, methinks.
    If Claremont really is writing a Gambit book and it set in past with No connection to Krakoa than no reason to wait for March to publish it.
    Sabretooth solo probably will be an outcome from Inferno so it can be set on January.

The same can be done with Claremont's Gambit.