Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Cool animation!

Got Excalibur uniform today and it is cool in action. It also has crystal discount on it what was a pleasant surprise.

I just wish he would do at least something cool in comics in that uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Cool animation!

Got Excalibur uniform today and it is cool in action. It also has crystal discount on it what was a pleasant surprise.

I just wish he would do at least something cool in comics in that uniform.
    All new uniforms have a crystal discount except the rare holiday ones

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    That. Is. Awesome.

Gambit translates to animation so well. Makes me hopeful for the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    That. Is. Awesome.

Gambit translates to animation so well. Makes me hopeful for the MCU.
    Agreed. Between X-Men: Evolution & Wolverine and the X-Men, there hasn't been any glitches where Gambit's concerned...

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-10-2021 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

So I have just finished Excalibur 18 and now there is no shadow of doubt left in my mind. Tini Howard can’t write Gambit.

His lack of panels have delayed this verdict. Now he is given a scene with Jamie and it’s just not good. It seems Tini is trying to write him as someone who has skills but he never displays them. There is no silver tongue, no strategy(for any encounter), no charm and no real intelligence. He is just at best reacting. If I was a character in Excalibur I would largely ignore Gambit. Because why not? He seems to have no skills outside of stealing the most unguarded items. No combat impact or no real presence. He is full of “I tried...”. What a waste of space.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. Between X-Men: Evolution & Wolverine and the X-Men, there hasn't been any glitches where Gambit's concerned...

His WatXM design is still one of my favorites. And I did like his episodes (although I didn't care for Phil LaMarr's voice acting for him).

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    So I have just finished Excalibur 18 and now there is no shadow of doubt left in my mind. Tini Howard can’t write Gambit.

His lack of panels have delayed this verdict. Now he is given a scene with Jamie and it’s just not good. It seems Tini is trying to write him as someone who has skills but he never displays them. There is no silver tongue, no strategy(for any encounter), no charm and no real intelligence. He is just at best reacting. If I was a character in Excalibur I would largely ignore Gambit. Because why not? He seems to have no skills outside of stealing the most unguarded items. No combat impact or no real presence. He is full of “I tried...”. What a waste of space.
    I forgot this even came out today. That's disappointing.
    Make Good Art

Ok this is the gambit thread. I appreciate the long post and obvious passion behind it but lets not go off subject =)

I thought that was my point. It would be strange for Gambit to go through everything he did in Davis run and then simply go "Oh she is fine now.". Especially when marvel keeps insisting that she isn't. With a character like Gambit it would mean nothing if she is on the team or not. He would keeps in touch with her. At whatever level that works for her. Trying to help her. Both because he cares and it's nature to try to help a girl. Also because of guilt.
    Still marvel cares very little of this and it runs contrary to the Marrow they see as interesting.

Feel free to PM me if you want to continue in a non-Gambit focused discussion.
    The thing that makes it really out is the fact that Gambit now has had two relationships with young women that now define him outside of Rogue. Lil Storm and X-23. Thus is beggars belief that he would not have wanted to take Marrow under his wing as she struggled with her various issues. I could see the argument for him staying away due to guilt over the MM but at some point after being dumped in Antarctica and returning, I would have expected him to try and make amends or reach out to Marrow.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Didn't realize Gambit fans still read this. Dropped this around issue 6 or 7 I think. Don't even remember at this point. I have no desire to ever support Marvel comics again. The only Gambit I would be interested in at this point is one that gets a fresh start in the movies or a TV show.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Didn't realize Gambit fans still read this. Dropped this around issue 6 or 7 I think. Don't even remember at this point. I have no desire to ever support Marvel comics again. The only Gambit I would be interested in at this point is one that gets a fresh start in the movies or a TV show.
    It's some fascination with the macabre that drives me. I had allready given up hope that it could improve. Now it's all times bad for me. Milligram or Tini. It's that bad.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    The thing that makes it really out is the fact that Gambit now has had two relationships with young women that now define him outside of Rogue. Lil Storm and X-23.
    Arguably there is also Jubilee.
    While she is primarily remembered as being the young woman under Wolverine's wings, she has also been presented in a little sister role with Gambit too (including in their supporting roles for X-23 in her series). All part of his subconcious attitude towards younger woman, where he feels compelled to be a protector, brother or mentor, depending on their situation and abilities. I think X-men Origins: Gambit even had him reflect on it at the end when he encountered Storm.

Also chances are he will be a mentor for the black woman with similar powers (or tech immitating his powers) in COTA (though time will tell if that's the case or just misdirection).

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    While she is primarily remembered as being the young woman under Wolverine's wings, she has also been presented in a little sister role with Gambit too (including in their supporting roles for X-23 in her series). All part of his subconcious attitude towards younger woman, where he feels compelled to be a protector, brother or mentor, depending on their situation and abilities. I think X-men Origins: Gambit even had him reflect on it at the end when he encountered Storm.

Also chances are he will be a mentor for the black woman with similar powers (or tech immitating his powers) in COTA (though time will tell if that's the case or just misdirection).
    While I loved Jubilee and Gambit in X-23 I can't remember any other time they interacted beyond blue team. Even back in Blue team I can't come up with any particular moments other then the basketball game.

One of the aspects of Gambit that enjoy is how well he works with female characters. It doesn't matter if they love or hate him. Beyond the guild he doesn't have many male friends. I would love for him and Bishop to be on a team again. There is much to mine there even going into taboo topics like Death and Bishops role in the Cable/Hope mess.

Astonishing Member

One of the aspects of Gambit that enjoy is how well he works with female characters. It doesn't matter if they love or hate him. Beyond the guild he doesn't have many male friends. I would love for him and Bishop to be on a team again. There is much to mine there even going into taboo topics like Death and Bishops role in the Cable/Hope mess.
    It certainly feels like he hardly has any major interactions or friendships with other male character on the teams he was on. Well besides Wolverine, but EVERYONE has been buddy with Wolverine at some point or another.
    Perhaps it's because by the time he joined the X-men most of the male cast of the previous additions had some time to form friendships and comradery while he was more of an untrustworthy newcommer.
    Especialy with Nightcrawler having switched to Excalibur some time before, as he and Remy could have found some common ground from shared elements in their past.

Weren't he and Bishop the only new male characters added to the team in the 80's?

It certainly feels like he hardly has any major interactions or friendships with other male character on the teams he was on. Well besides Wolverine, but EVERYONE has been buddy with Wolverine at some point or another.
    Perhaps it's because by the time he joined the X-men most of the male cast of the previous additions had some time to form friendships and comradery while he was more of an untrustworthy newcommer.
    Especialy with Nightcrawler having switched to Excalibur some time before, as he and Remy could have found some common ground from shared elements in their past.

Weren't he and Bishop the only new male characters added to the team in the 80's?
    I'm assuming you mean the 90's. We had Joseph and Maggot.

Back in blue he had Hank and Scott beyond Logan. Witch didn't set up any real relationships. Perhaps Hank more that he joked with Gambit. I'm really stuggeling to remember anything. Iceman a bit but more through the lense that he and Rogue are friends.

Should I reread Bishop&Gambit - sons of the atom? I can't remember if it was any good.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

While I loved Jubilee and Gambit in X-23 I can't remember any other time they interacted beyond blue team. Even back in Blue team I can't come up with any particular moments other then the basketball game.

I really miss his friendship with Bishop. It was nice that he was involved in the wedding, but I would love to see them team up again. They have such a great dynamic.
    Make Good Art

Certainly in X-TAS but not so much in 616 IMO. I think Liu included her in the X-23 book largely off the strength of the relationship in X-TAS.