Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

I'm assuming Gambit died in Heroes Reborn during that fight. Or does he have a bigger role that I am unaware of?

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nopozyzy View Post
    I'm assuming Gambit died in Heroes Reborn during that fight. Or does he have a bigger role that I am unaware of?
    I'm assuming he died as well but who knows
    Make Good Art

IMG_20210527_181208.jpg

Nice looking Gambit by Lam Nguyen

Ah cool! It reminds me of the MvC 2 design, which is still one of my favorite designs for him
    Make Good Art

It is really lame that Gambit never was a part of X-Force.

Remembered that panel from Avengers No Road Home #10.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Right? The morally ambiguous team that does covert missions doesn't enlist the morally ambiguous thief who specializes in being covert?
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Right? The morally ambiguous team that does covert missions doesn't enlist the morally ambiguous thief who specializes in being covert?
    He’s so versatile, he could fit into just about any book. Actiony-adventure with explosions? Thiefy-espionage caper? Crime drama? Magic-mystery? Romance? Yup to all. We just lack the writers interested exploring any aspect of his character.

Apparently he is a tired relic of the 90s, and the character is problematic. Yet we have Xavier, Magneto, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Emma Frost and Wolverine in literally every major event, and half of them are from the 1950s. talk about relics, you can almost carbon date them. X macked on his teenaged student, to say the very least, I’d say that’s hella problematic. If they can reinvent these characters a million times over and have hundreds of stories generated around these same six characters, I don’t think the problem is Gambit’s character, but laziness, a lack of creativity, and an overabundance of ego on the part of these creatives.

Who wants to read about a very attractive, arrogant, womanizing grifter who can spin a line of s—- with ease and can’t make a good decision to save his life? We all know what an unpopular character Don Draper was and that absolutely no one watched Mad Men.

A dated, sexist lowlife who came of age in a culture of toxic masculinity who somehow manages to turn his sh—y life around by mentoring a teen...who the hell is interested in that? no one is following Cobra Kai... (or rooting for Johnny Lawrence to consummate his will they won’t they bromance with Daniel.)

He could do great where he’s at in Excalibur. There’s so much potential there that could be explosively kinetic! Instead it’s just a fizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    He’s so versatile, he could fit into just about any book. Actiony-adventure with explosions? Thiefy-espionage caper? Crime drama? Magic-mystery? Romance? Yup to all. We just lack the writers interested exploring any aspect of his character.

Apparently he is a tired relic of the 90s, and the character is problematic. Yet we have Xavier, Magneto, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Emma Frost and Wolverine in literally every major event, and half of them are from the 1950s. talk about relics, you can almost carbon date them. X macked on his teenaged student, to say the very least, I’d say that’s hella problematic. If they can reinvent these characters a million times over and have hundreds of stories generated around these same six characters, I don’t think the problem is Gambit’s character, but laziness, a lack of creativity, and an overabundance of ego on the part of these creatives.

Who wants to read about a very attractive, arrogant, womanizing grifter who can spin a line of s—- with ease and can’t make a good decision to save his life? We all know what an unpopular character Don Draper was and that absolutely no one watched Mad Men.

A dated, sexist lowlife who came of age in a culture of toxic masculinity who somehow manages to turn his sh—y life around by mentoring a teen...who the hell is interested in that? no one is following Cobra Kai... (or rooting for Johnny Lawrence to consummate his will they won’t they bromance with Daniel.)

He could do great where he’s at in Excalibur. There’s so much potential there that could be explosively kinetic! Instead it’s just a fizzle.
    I have never fully understood the negative feelings against Gambit from a writers standpoint. In many ways he's an archetype character. The charming thief who has to get out of though spots he puts himself in. A womanizer who actually loves a girl. You are going to write similar characters during your career. I get that he might not be in the natural wheelhouse for many of them. He's probably not someone that many writers at marvel sees themselves as. But they probably have a friend who fit the profile. Someone in their life to draw inspiration and experience from.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I have never fully understood the negative feelings against Gambit from a writers standpoint. In many ways he's an archetype character. The charming thief who has to get out of though spots he puts himself in. A womanizer who actually loves a girl. You are going to write similar characters during your career. I get that he might not be in the natural wheelhouse for many of them. He's probably not someone that many writers at marvel sees themselves as. But they probably have a friend who fit the profile. Someone in their life to draw inspiration and experience from.
    Gambit is a masculine character and, sadly, that doesn't work in this day and age.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post
    Gambit is a masculine character and, sadly, that doesn't work in this day and age.
    Gambit reminds them of that dude at the bar who comes in and walks out with a hot lady, while they sad tweet on their phone about how “women don’t like nice men.”

Though...Masculine? He wears pink, cooks all the meals, and is, as we speak, posting images of his cats on their own Insta feed. Hyper-Masculinity is okay as long as it’s Wolvie or Cable. They had to water Gambit down by shaving his face, having the most exciting thing to do be cooking eggs, giving him a boring haircut, and turning him into wallpaper so his charm, hotness, and charisma doesn’t literally burn a hole through your comic page or short circuit your e-reader.

Gambit reminds them of that dude at the bar who comes in and walks out with a hot lady, while they sad tweet on their phone about how “women don’t like nice men.”
    lol this is the most accurate description I've seen of him in a while
    Make Good Art

Ha, well said.

Though...Masculine? He wears pink, cooks all the meals, and is, as we speak, posting images of his cats on their own Insta feed. Hyper-Masculinity is okay as long as it’s Wolvie or Cable. They had to water Gambit down by shaving his face, having the most exciting thing to do be cooking eggs, giving him a boring haircut, and turning him into wallpaper so his charm, hotness, and charisma doesn’t literally burn a hole through your comic page or short circuit your e-reader.
    Pink is whatever, but damn, I'm glad I dropped Marvel outside of 1 book.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Like Kurt I see him as more care free/free spirit (who can be serious simply because of his place in the world as a thief/former thief) than one of those type of guys. He's tough and even a idol to those who wish to be the coolest guy (or may already be there to some) but masculine???... uh... The thing with Rogue is I think he found someone who like him wasn't a saint but could still do good so anything that Rogue does hurts him on a personal level than just getting the girl. Or that may just be my head canon?

I agree with you entirely, Shadows. I’m sayin the writers bring their own internal biases to the character and that’s why they don’t like Gambit or want to write him. Nothing to do with the character at all, but their own egos. They straight up admit it in the Marvel Pull List podcast with Branson Reese.
    https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/13...140132357?s=20