Page 18 of 69 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Wolverine and Cyclops are boyfriends in canon now.

So I don't even think wolverine fits the whole concept lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    How is that incompatible with masculinity?
    Wait, so Sylarmax was being serious?
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    A lot of these actiony-adventure sequences (while great) happened so long ago they might as well have not happened. Or they happened in a solo or side-book where any kind of character growth/development is easily disregarded by other writers. The only consequential character movements have been Cat Dad and Marriage. Both boring, so therefore stamped with Marvel approval. (not saying I don't like the cats, never saying that) The only consequential fight is the Wolvie/Gambit scene and it happened in the 90s... BUT if I was going to pick a fight scene that illustrated Gambit, it'd be that one. Because it's not the typical 90s-era male-aggro I HAVE LOTS OF BIG GUNS AND KNIVES. It's Gambit exploiting a weakness in his opponent. Feel like it's an example of his defiance of 90s era masculinity when you lie, cheat or trick someone so you end up on top. He's an anti-hero, sure. But not the kind that kills people indiscriminately or relies solely on massive explosions.
    This is one of the things I loved most about the character. By nature, I'm a straight-forward guy. Reading Remy when I was young taught me to try to think a little bit more out of the box, and look at issues from different angles.

This is another identifiable archetype - the male love interest. Every romance book ever written has the problematic male lead who looks real bad on paper, but can somehow be fixed with the Power of Love. Be grateful Gambit isn't a sparkling vampire.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post
    As someone who works in an industry utilizing IP's with millions of fans globally... I find this incredibly unprofessional. If a character is assigned to you, you do your diligence and research the hell out of the character to make sure you do them justice... regardless if you "like" them or not.
    OMGosh I rant about this all the time. Why would you go on a public forum and trash your Company's IP? Why would you de-value an asset in your portfolio? You aren't serving creatives, you're serving a customer. Customers want what they want.

I understand there is significant overlap, where fans are now in production, but seriously folks. I work for a corporation and I don't care for a significant portion of the products in our portfolio. There is no denying that there are huge fans of these products. If I went out on Twitter and told people those products were garbage, and our customers were stupid for buying them, I'd be fired.

IMHO he should have a Nic Cage/Matthew McConaughey 'living on their own planet' kind of vibe.
    lol, 100%

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post

This is so good. It's respectful to both characters and shows their abilities. Nowadays, if they tried writing this scene, I guarantee Spidey would make some quip and then take Gambit down in two panels while making him look like a clumsy oaf.
    Make Good Art

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I agree with you entirely, Shadows. I’m sayin the writers bring their own internal biases to the character and that’s why they don’t like Gambit or want to write him. Nothing to do with the character at all, but their own egos. They straight up admit it in the Marvel Pull List podcast with Branson Reese.
    https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/13...140132357?s=20
    It seems that when a character has a certain appeal you will get writers who see them as an affront to society and that character may not even be guilty of what they are decrying. Or they have a character themselves that they enjoy that is actually what they are projecting on the character that they have it in for. Take Logan for as one example as at times he can and has been problematic but writers look the other way. If their is any obvious distaste for the character its more of having a score to settle/feud with their favorites or they want to see the best get humbled. Its not quite the same as the moral route they like to take with other characters. It's something I find really annoying. I don't usually like the latter either but sometimes its earned I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Attachment 110156

Pretty good Gambit here by Roger Cruz.

I'm tempted to check out the podcast, but feel like I'm going to end up frustrated by it.

There ARE writers who like Gambit, but they are not a large percentage of the present crop.
    Hah. That's gorgeous... but so different from his 90's version.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Back in he day when Gambit was considered the epitome of sexiness'
    True. And that may have been part of the problem later.

Ugh, I started that podcast and had to quit. I remembered why I dumped Marvel Pull List off my pod catcher. Agent M is a long time Gambit hater and all around frustrating host. But it really sucks that they picked someone so ambivalent and almost negative towards the character to cohost an issue they are supposed to be showcasing. Honestly they both just seem so baffled by the notion of why someone would enjoy a character like him that is morally gray and not outright simplistically good or evil. I feel sad for them. And I agree, it's super unprofessional to dunk on your own company IP. Also not great for business to alienate fans by insulting what they like.

Had to come back to add, I bet they absolutely have no trouble understanding characters like Black Cat. Another sexy thief with a strange outfit who isn't fully a good guy or a villain. It's not hard. Robin Hood? Han Solo? Mal on Firefly? Spike on Cowboy Bebop? How difficult is it to comprehend this archetype and why they're popular?
    Last edited by AppleJ; 06-03-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Ugh, I started that podcast and had to quit. I remembered why I dumped Marvel Pull List off my pod catcher. Agent M is a long time Gambit hater and all around frustrating host. But it really sucks that they picked someone so ambivalent and almost negative towards the character to cohost an issue they are supposed to be showcasing. Honestly they both just seem so baffled by the notion of why someone would enjoy a character like him that is morally gray and not outright simplistically good or evil. I feel sad for them. And I agree, it's super unprofessional to dunk on your own company IP. Also not great for business to alienate fans by insulting what they like.

Had to come back to add, I bet they absolutely have no trouble understanding characters like Black Cat. Another sexy thief with a strange outfit who isn't fully a good guy or a villain. It's not hard. Robin Hood? Han Solo? Mal on Firefly? Spike on Cowboy Bebop? How difficult is it to comprehend this archetype and why they're popular?
    I'm afraid I don't understand where morally grey, though I think Remy is less morally grey than others in that category, would ever be a problem since that's all they have been pushing since the mid 2000's. I guess he just isn't their type of morally grey?

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I'm afraid I don't understand where morally grey, though I think Remy is less morally grey than others in that category, would ever be a problem since that's all they have been pushing since the mid 2000's. I guess he just isn't their type of morally grey?
    Maybe? He's less of a guy that is fighting for the big cause no matter the cost and more just someone trying to get by, maybe do some good and have a little fun in the process. That seems like it would be more relatable to the every man than some aspirational leader or total lone wolf. He's actually somewhere between a Nightcrawler and Wolverine for archetype to me. Less safe than Kurt, but not quite as unpredictably dangerous as Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    This is so good. It's respectful to both characters and shows their abilities. Nowadays, if they tried writing this scene, I guarantee Spidey would make some quip and then take Gambit down in two panels while making him look like a clumsy oaf.
    That is a SPOT ON description of how this scene would go down if written today! Course Gambit would never be allowed to guest star in a Spider-Man comic in the first place nowadays anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    That is a SPOT ON description of how this scene would go down if written today! Course Gambit would never be allowed to guest star in a Spider-Man comic in the first place nowadays anyway.
    100%. Even with Black Cat being involved with the Thieves Guild
    Make Good Art

[QUOTE=juan678;5570526]

Gambit appears on the Inferno teaser. Really curious what's going on here.

Also, it's interesting he's in his old costume. Intentional? Continuity error? Brooks just doesn't gaf about him? We'll see...
    Last edited by Sandmans_Raven; 06-04-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    Make Good Art

Dead Gambit on teaser is better then no Gambit, I guess.

Can’t really read into the Mark Brooks promos because they don’t really reveal anything but at the same time if anything bad happens to Remy

(The only “bad” thing I want to happen to Gambit is Rogue serving him divorce papers so we can finally be free of the wretched and vile marriage)

He’s in good company though. Takin’ a little nappy next to Polaris.

It’s a teaser, doubt he’ll play a role. Though he does have a tenuous connection to Destiny through Black Womb.

Mighty Member

Hey guys. Came across this article. Lil Rey Howery was apparently cast in the cancelled Gambit movie. My best guess is he was cast as Gambit’s adopted brother Henry

https://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/new...il-rey-howery/