Page 39 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I think it's that he is a good overall writer and was able to weave a lot of storylines throughout a long term as writer, but some of his ideas didn't fly well with people. And then a lot of people started to turn on him after he wrote X-Men Forever and his ideas there (which he would have written before had he not left the books or had editorial mandates) weren't well received.
    There is a Twitter account called The Claremont Run @ClaremontRun that I find super interesting.

Claremont had sprawling stories with lots of great character work. There's a lot of getting into characters' heads and understanding motivations. Even with the weirdness proposed as his early rumored Gambit concept, it still had a psychological component, like: what is a child's idea of a monster or a hero? I'd thought I'd read something too, that Gambit was always intended for Rogue, since the child had a crush on her. But that could be ROMY fans wishful thinking.

I doubt I would be as invested in the X-characters if not for Claremont. Remy seems a lot more joyful, exuberant and romantic when under CC's pen.

Some of his storylines feel a little too old-school in the new era and could use some updating. But the whole "let's take the X-Men out of the school and throw them in an entirely new environment" is not new to Krakoa. CC did it with his Outback stories. He's done it all!

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    There is a Twitter account called The Claremont Run @ClaremontRun that I find super interesting.

Claremont had sprawling stories with lots of great character work. There's a lot of getting into characters' heads and understanding motivations. Even with the weirdness proposed as his early rumored Gambit concept, it still had a psychological component, like: what is a child's idea of a monster or a hero? I'd thought I'd read something too, that Gambit was always intended for Rogue, since the child had a crush on her. But that could be ROMY fans wishful thinking.

I doubt I would be as invested in the X-characters if not for Claremont. Remy seems a lot more joyful, exuberant and romantic when under CC's pen.

Some of his storylines feel a little too old-school in the new era and could use some updating. But the whole "let's take the X-Men out of the school and throw them in an entirely new environment" is not new to Krakoa. CC did it with his Outback stories. He's done it all!
    So, I talked to CC at a con a couple years ago about Rogue/Gambit and he said he originally intended Gambit to be a love interest for Kitty and then he would be revealed to be working for Sinister and betray the X-Men.

I do remember him talking about Gambit and Sinister both being the creations of a child from an orphanage. Honestly, that's a pretty interesting origin, although I don't think I would necessarily be a fan in practice haha

But I know what you mean about Gambit under CC's pen. He really has all you described and I think he had a little more of an edge since Claremont was in the process of possibly making him a villain.
    Make Good Art

So, I talked to CC at a con a couple years ago about Rogue/Gambit and he said he originally intended Gambit to be a love interest for Kitty and then he would be revealed to be working for Sinister and betray the X-Men.

I do remember him talking about Gambit and Sinister both being the creations of a child from an orphanage. Honestly, that's a pretty interesting origin, although I don't think I would necessarily be a fan in practice haha

But I know what you mean about Gambit under CC's pen. He really has all you described and I think he had a little more of an edge since Claremont was in the process of possibly making him a villain.
    The problem with ideas like that will always be that while they might work great in concept it all changes if the fans latch onto the character. Or if the writer just writes the character to good in the first place. We all have to be more invested in the concept the the characters, so that we don’t get disappointed after the reveal. Because the reveal limits the characters future appeal.

Gambits background is not perfect but it leaves us with a character that is as real as any other. There is no figment of a child’s imagination that can be used against him. No clone discussion who is often used to undermine the value or point of a character. Often enough these characters stand on less then solid ground in the first place. Why invite reasons to make that even worse.

I doubt we would have had the marriage if Gambit was tied to sinister and a child. It would be as with Vision and Wanda. Gambit would be reset once or twice. Leaving us with a mess.

Mighty Member

Gambit and Kitty. I would not be down for that at all lol. It’s cool he talked about it at the con. I assume you got a autograph or something. I also wonder if he is doing any cons in the future where we can ask about his upcoming Gambit book.

But I agree with Nico that the psychological aspects are fun to explore for me. I love learning about what makes someone tick.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    The problem with ideas like that will always be that while they might work great in concept it all changes if the fans latch onto the character. Or if the writer just writes the character to good in the first place. We all have to be more invested in the concept the the characters, so that we don’t get disappointed after the reveal. Because the reveal limits the characters future appeal.

Gambits background is not perfect but it leaves us with a character that is as real as any other. There is no figment of a child’s imagination that can be used against him. No clone discussion who is often used to undermine the value or point of a character. Often enough these characters stand on less then solid ground in the first place. Why invite reasons to make that even worse.

I doubt we would have had the marriage if Gambit was tied to sinister and a child. It would be as with Vision and Wanda. Gambit would be reset once or twice. Leaving us with a mess.
    It makes me wonder when the changes started. Like did they get a few issues in and there was an immediate fan support or what happened. Obviously the tv show skyrocketed him as the best character

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Gambit and Kitty. I would not be down for that at all lol. It’s cool he talked about it at the con. I assume you got a autograph or something. I also wonder if he is doing any cons in the future where we can ask about his upcoming Gambit book.

But I agree with Nico that the psychological aspects are fun to explore for me. I love learning about what makes someone tick.
    Agreed about Gambit and Kitty. It would have been weird, like her and Pete Wisdom.

Yeah, I got my 266 signed by him and it was a cool experience. I think he’s doing more cons again. If you get him started on a subject, he will talk your ear off lol
    Make Good Art

Mighty Member

Ooof really nice �� 266.

I just checked and current schedule has him at 3 cons this year. Sept in Georgia and in Dec in California and Illinois. Too far for me to go to any but if anyone going see if you can get details!

https://comiconomicon.com/guest/999/Chris_Claremont

When X-Men Legends got announced we were told that writers will be Chris Claremont, Louise Simonson, Fabian Nicieza, Larry Hama, Peter David, and more.
    Legends 1-2 - Nicieza and Adam X
    Legends 3-4 Simonson and Original X-Factor
    Legends 5-6 Peter David and his X-Factor
    Legends 7-9 Larry Hama with Wolverine solo

If Hama`s arc ends with #9 than I suppose that #10 - 12 will be Claremont arc for Gambit. Maybe even with John Romita on art.

Mighty Member

That actually seems like a good scenario with it being 3 issues. My only thing is why did he say G****t instead of something about Legends

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    That actually seems like a good scenario with it being 3 issues. My only thing is why did he say G****t instead of something about Legends
    Hmmm. Probably because it is a Gambit solo story and Legends is just the name of the book.

So what if it was a story in the past revealing that Gambit was really working for Sinister with a mission to destroy X-Men from within and would betray and fight Sinister and refuse to work with him at the end?

I would make it with time jumps and adding some canon existing moments that changed his motives. So the final battle would be after X-Men #45 with emotional impact on Gambit from a story with Rogue and Sinister cameo that soon Gambit must betray the X-Men.

It can be done as a solo Gambit story without X-Men even finding out at the end about his bad motives before he chooses a side of good. Or maybe only Storm would know and keep it as his secret because he chose the right choice at the end.

I would love that
    Last edited by Purplevit; 08-27-2021 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Hmmm. Probably because it is a Gambit solo story and Legends is just the name of the book.

So what if it was a story in the past revealing that Gambit was really working for Sinister with a mission to destroy X-Men from within and would betray and fight Sinister and refuse to work with him at the end?

I would make it with time jumps and adding some canon existing moments that changed his motives. So the final battle would be after X-Men #45 with emotional impact on Gambit from a story with Rogue and Sinister cameo that soon Gambit must betray the X-Men.

It can be done as a solo Gambit story without X-Men even finding out at the end about his bad motives before he chooses a side of good. Or maybe only Storm would know and keep it as his secret because he chose the right choice at the end.

I would love that
    Oooo, I really like this. It kind of lines up with his original plans for Gambit but makes it fit better in-continuity and ultimately makes him a hero. Having Storm know the secret would make their relationship that much more solid.
    Make Good Art

Mighty Member

That’s a great idea actually! The only thing I don’t want tinkered with is him helping Storm. I don’t want that to have been a sneaky way to get access to the X-men. I hope at least their meeting would be still genuine. But other than that yeah I hope he brings some new details to the lore.

Just a golden moment from a bad book.

Astonishing Member

I would love that
    If i recall right they never showed what Gambit did after the Mutant Massacre and before he encountered de-aged Storm (his first published appearance) and ended up joining the X-men.

So there is actualy room for a story in which Sinister has him captured while still heavily wounded, patch him up, give him a "i'm not sorry" rant for why he had the Morlocks "exterminated" and then try to force Remy into yet another deal (using him trying to stop the Marauders as excuse for example) focused on sabotaging the X-men.

So there is allready room for when they could have encountered each other again before his first official appearance.

The question is, if X-men Legends will survive that long for such a story to be told, what with it's sales.

Just a golden moment from a bad book.

Anytime that Gambit puts Fanto in his place is like catnip to me. And I love Logan and Rogue's reactions
    Make Good Art