Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She was added in 2019 in the Disasembled update

Thanks! I don't know a lot about current status of game.
    It seems we will get more news soon.

Awekening skill is cool but I need new Gambit unfiorm. Ihope we will get it and it will be cool.

Thanks. Interesting if they will change his main skills too with a new costume. I like his old moves in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Thanks. Interesting if they will change his main skills too with a new costume. I like his old moves in game.
    They'll change his skills and it'll be for the best as it will make him feel fresh. Ive been leveling him up in preparation for this. I look forward to this bc he hasnt been useful in a long time but he'll be worth it after next week

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    A connection not many Gambit fans like from what i gathered. Not because of her, but because it reminds people to the Morlock Massacre retcon involving him. Also they haven't interacted since 20 years or so and Gambit writers aren't in any hurry to remind readers of it.

I think the only time it ever got a nod beyond the Gambit Origin one-shot was Clay Mann putting a post it note in his last solo series, reminding him of calling a "Sarah".

Though now i wonder if there is a universe or two, in the Marvel Multiverse where he actualy raised her instead of leaving her with a random cop.
    I wish their relationship was explored more. I always had it in my head that Gambit checked in on Sarah over the years without alerting to the fact. Then Sarah confronts him about the MM and they actually hash things out when Sarah learns from others that Gambit had looked out for her over the years.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I wish their relationship was explored more. I always had it in my head that Gambit checked in on Sarah over the years without alerting to the fact. Then Sarah confronts him about the MM and they actually hash things out when Sarah learns from others that Gambit had looked out for her over the years.
    In my headcanon they have kept in touch over the years. Yet marvel keeps reverting Marrow to one mode: plagued with her powers and trying to remove them. So my headcanon stays true to how they both should be, but not how marvel keeps them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Yet marvel keeps reverting Marrow to one mode: plagued with her powers and trying to remove them. So my headcanon stays true to how they both should be, but not how marvel keeps them.
    I would argue that's not really how she was written over the last 20 years. Infact her character actualy suffered more from constantly being written differently in the small appearances she actualy got. Leaving her with little consistency beyond having a short temper and being violent.

First there was that Spiderman/Marrow oneshot (2000) that adressed that she was absent from the X-men but actualy never answered why. Leaving it an unanswered (and uncared) mystery for 21 years by now. In it she was basicly split between a crazed attack dog and a fake normal person.

Next was Weapon X (2002-2004), in which her goal was to get her powers under controll rather than wanting them gone and by the end of that series she was settling for being proud of her freaky mutant appearance. This is arguably the last time she was written with the beauty obsession mindset from the X-men time. Also she was back to a much more vicious, cruel and uncaring personality from her first appearance.

After House of M (2005) she lost her powers, but in a moment of irony retained the growths, hence wanting the powers back (at least with them she is powerfull). In Generation M (2006) she briefly appeared as caring, sad and thoughtfull.

In her following appearance in X-factor (2008?) she joined up with Callisto in trying to uncover if the US government was behind M-day, so it could be reversed, before learning it was Quicksilver. Here she was back to being Callisto's "troubled teenager" sidekick.

Then she was absent for years again before being picked up for Si Spurrier's X-force (2014), where she had undergone an experimental treatment in order to restore her powers, but losing her unborn child in the process. She now had full controll over her powers (being able to entirely hide the growths if she kept her concentration), with her ability to pass as normal looking being merely a sidenote.
    She was also written as hyper violent and crazed (or trying to play herself up as such).

After that she randomly joined New Tian in Secret Empire: United (2017) and in X-men Blue working for Emma, before joining up with Magneto at the end of the same series, before joining Emma Frost's Hellfire Club during Rosenbergs Uncanny X-men run (2018). Not much in terms of characterization beyond being agressive and no mention of her having issues with her appearance.
    There was also a brief appearance in a side story of Domino's series, featuring a self help group of mutants with unnatural appearances where she was more annoyed by normal people being shocked by her appearance, rather than depressed about looking the part.

And now she had 3 backround appearances in the current status quo.

There was also the small role in the Wolverine and the X-men cartoon where she was characterized by her short temper rather than worrying about her appearance.

So bottom line. Her beauty obsessed self pitty characterization lasted from 1997 when she joined the X-men until 2004 when Weapon X ended (or at least her appearances in it). That's 7 years. The next 14 years she spend being more focused on getting her powers back, having them back and then not having much of a goal or direction in life, beyond showing up as henchmen for Emma Frost and Magneto.
    So she spend twice the amount of time not having beauty issues anymore.

If anything the default mode Marvel writers reduce her too is being short tempered, prone to violence or crazed. Her appearance being more a visual trait related to her role as mutant outcast, rather than her primary motivation anymore.

This is also how many who like her seem to summarize her when talking about her qualities as character. She looks freaky, she is an outcast because of it, she had a rough childhood, which leads her to being agressive and violent, but underneath is a person who wants to belong and cares. Basicly taking the convulted backstory and inconsistency in her appearances out and compacting her into these basic personality traits.

As for her and Gambit. A headcanon is fine but but official canon shows that Gambit did not give a damn about her anymore. Neither did any of the other X-men.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-06-2021 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    As for her and Gambit. A headcanon is fine but but official canon shows that Gambit did not give a damn about her anymore. Neither did any of the other X-men..
    Ok this is the gambit thread. I appreciate the long post and obvious passion behind it but lets not go off subject =)

I thought that was my point. It would be strange for Gambit to go through everything he did in Davis run and then simply go "Oh she is fine now.". Especially when marvel keeps insisting that she isn't. With a character like Gambit it would mean nothing if she is on the team or not. He would keeps in touch with her. At whatever level that works for her. Trying to help her. Both because he cares and it's nature to try to help a girl. Also because of guilt.
    Still marvel cares very little of this and it runs contrary to the Marrow they see as interesting.

Feel free to PM me if you want to continue in a non-Gambit focused discussion.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Ok this is the gambit thread. I appreciate the long post and obvious passion behind it but lets not go off subject =)

I thought that was my point. It would be strange for Gambit to go through everything he did in Davis run and then simply go "Oh she is fine now.". Especially when marvel keeps insisting that she isn't. With a character like Gambit it would mean nothing if she is on the team or not. He would keeps in touch with her. At whatever level that works for her. Trying to help her. Both because he cares and it's nature to try to help a girl. Also because of guilt.
    Still marvel cares very little of this and it runs contrary to the Marrow they see as interesting.
    My post was original meant to be much shorter but then i felt like putting evidence to my claim on the table.

Oh i agree that contrary to evidence it doesn't fit his general personality and past connection to her to be entirely ignorant of what's going on with her over the years. Especialy since while he has many friends and associates like Courier who he isn't constantly shown to be in touch with, these generaly tend to have an implied stable lifestyle and/or jobs, so one can always assume they are doing fine until they need Gambit's help again. While her life is a mostly off-screen roller coasters of downs and up and a lot of unknowns.

Now if it's because of writers not wanting to break with how they like to write her or if it's simply an ignorance towards her relations to characters (just wanting a recognizable C-lister for a brief appearance), is indeed not a discussion suited for this topic. So we can draw the line here.

PS:
    Is it too much to hope he and Rogue will make it on the X-men? I don't read Excalibur, but what i read about it makes me sad for the two being stuck there.

Gambit got updated moves and skills for Future fight game.

https://youtu.be/I5TlRkWoYIU

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Gambit got updated moves and skills for Future fight game.

https://youtu.be/I5TlRkWoYIU

X-23 and Nightcrawler suprisingly are the heroes in his Awakening skill

X-23 and Nightcrawler suprisingly are the heroes in his Awakening skill
    X-23 makes sense. Kurt not so much.

I like his changed skills but that awekening looks lame visually.

Has anyone seen this Gambit mural? The pics are all over Instagram, but here's a video of it...

Looks great, though I wish they got the eyes right...

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    Has anyone seen this Gambit mural? The pics are all over Instagram, but here's a video of it...

Looks great, though I wish they got the eyes right...
    Yeah, I saw this on instagram yesterday. The eyes were my first thought as well. It's so cool but the eyes being the wrong color would drive me crazy
    Make Good Art