Page 184 of 259 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194234 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 3875

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The problem is that people define characters by general traits, because it is easier. And current comics also work with that aspect.

That's why it doesn't matter that Dick has a rich story of different facets, many fans currently define Dick by general traits too. That's the reason why they think Robin's personality in Teen Titans animation is closer to Tim.

Honestly, I've problem to call Dick being fun-loving by Dixon as a character progression when it was clearly make to differentiate him from Batman.
    People don’t, lazy writers do which then leads to people being misinformed. It does matter that Dick has a rich story of different facets as it allows him to be versatile and stay relevant through out the years. Some people might think the Robin in Teen Titans acted like Tim but it doesn’t change that it was Dick, or that it was Dick in YJ, or Dick in Titans. There’s a reason the other Robins copy him. Defining the Robins by general traits it mostly just a comic thing that adaptations and better writers generally ignore.

Dick started as being fun loving. That was a part of character from go, then as he became a teenager and moved away from that part of himself because his insecurities and responsibilities as a leader, and then as an adult found that part of himself again. That’s maturation. That’s growing up. He progressed beyond it, developed a different side of himself, and then grew into both.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-12-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Any news for Solicitations yet? I am interested in see if the Lazarus tournament ends in December.

They should be this Friday.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    People don’t, lazy writers do which then leads to people being misinformed. It does matter that Dick has a rich story of different facets as it allows him to be versatile and stay relevant through out the years. Some people might think the Robin in Teen Titans acted like Tim but it doesn’t change that it was Dick, or that it was Dick in YJ, or Dick in Titans. There’s a reason the other Robins copy him. Defining the Robins by general traits it mostly just a comic thing that adaptations and better writers generally ignore.

Dick started as being fun loving. That was a part of character from go, then as he became a teenager and moved away from that part of himself because his insecurities and responsibilities as a leader, and then as an adult found that part of himself again. That’s maturation. That’s growing up. He progressed beyond it, developed a different side of himself, and then grew into both.
    I don't know if it is all on the writers. The big problem is that when you have a bunch of characters all occupying the same space/role in a limited amount of pages to tell stories you can't really give each character their full attention. So it all gets diffused into each being placed into certain categories or roles, which tend to be somewhat basic. Because it is easier to sell these different Robins as being a certain thing (the serious one, the funny one, the angry one, and so on) to the general public because they tend to like things being placed in specific categories that they can easily understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    This is why i don't like this scene from Batman and Robin Eternal. People put this characters inside of a box and think they can't be something different. You can get any era of Wolfman's Teen Titans run and see that Dick was serious, some times even too much. Same with Winnick's Outsiders.

These characters have layers, they aren't just "You are the fist, you are the brain, you are the heart".

I hate this type of characterisations so much.

These guys are Much more than this.
    Characters [should] grow and change as their experiences force them to evolve.

Extraordinary Member

There's a Batman 666 story by Tim Seeley and Juan Ferreyra in this weeks Batman: Urban Legends #7.

The Wayne Family Adventures is such a brilliant series thus far. Their Damian is adorable.

Have you guys seen the dub?

Extraordinary Member

These characters have layers, they aren't just "You are the fist, you are the brain, you are the heart".
    Thing is that they didn't even manage to show this Dynamik in that series imo.

I also don't mind stuff like that in cross overs, since these characters are at least if you look at their solos and non Batfamily team books often written pretty similarly. Especially in team books they often fall into the role of a serious introverted looner type of leader.

And I definitely prefer "You are the fist, you are the brain, you are the heart" thing over the "Dick and Damian are the best, Jason is an idiot and no one cares about Tim" thing, that you also often see.
    Last edited by Aahz; 09-13-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Honestly, I've problem to call Dick being fun-loving by Dixon as a character progression when it was clearly make to differentiate him from Batman.
    Dixon's Nightwing was not that fun loving, at least not to the of how he is written in some current comics.
    And especially the thing of him as the improviser, that runs smiling into any dangerous situation without a plan, seems to me more ooc than character progression.

Extraordinary Member

Fun loving is the wrong way to put this
    Relaxed, friendly, warm

[QUOTE=Aahz;5728768]
    These characters have layers, they aren't just "You are the fist, you are the brain, you are the heart"./QUOTE]Thing is that they didn't even manage to show this Dynamik in that series imo.

I also don't mind stuff like that in cross overs, since these characters are at least if you look at their solos and non Batfamily team books often written pretty similarly. Especially in team books they often fall into the role of a serious introverted looner type of leader.

And I definitely prefer "You are the fist, you are the brain, you are the heart" thing over the "Dick and Damian are the best, Jason is an idiot and no one cares about Tim" thing, that you also often see.
    Which exact title says that Dick and Damian are best? Tim is the one that is often hyped as the best.

Damian is the only one that I can recall any character ever saying that Bruce didn't care for.

We are never told anything of the sort you claim so I believe that's your subjective interpretation.

Which honestly is meaningless and harmless unlike the nonsense Fist, Heart, Brain, Blood [Tynion says that's the part of Bruce that Damian is whatever the **** that means] BS that is canon.

Nonsense like this doesn't belong in canon and writers shouldn't be encouraged to be so lazy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Which exact title says that Dick and Damian are best?
    My statement was of course a little exaggerated, but the treatment of Tim and Jason in stuff like Robin War or Tomasis Batman and Robin often felt like that. (Or Tom Kings rating of their combat skills on twitter, which is something that the main Batman writer should not do in the first place ...)

Btw. not that B&RE was much better in that regard. Only that in case of that series it was Dick and Harper.
    Last edited by Aahz; 09-13-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Btw I also don't think that the "Fist, Heart, Brain" thing is something they should have put on page in the way they did.

But I think that it would be a kind team dynamic, that they had actually given them the respective roles in the story, would work with these characters and had given each of them their moment to shine and something contribute.

While in the actual story Tim were first exiled into an pointless subplot, with Jason just tagging along because they didn't know what to do with him, and got then completely sidelined and just used as jobbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    My statement was of course a little exaggerated, but the treatment of Tim and Jason in stuff like Robin War or Tomasis Batman and Robin often felt like that. (Or Tom Kings rating of their combat skills on twitter, which is something that the main Batman writer should not do in the first place ...)

Btw. not that B&RE was much better in that regard. Only that in case of that series it was Dick and Harper.
    Tomasi's B&R which didn't acknowledge Dick's great contribution to Damian's life. Underplaying while developing Bruce and Damian.

Dick was done the worst by that title.
    Robin war wasn't as bad as BRE and neither of those title did what you claim.
    Damian didn't even show up in BRE till the end despite being the current Robin. Talk about books giving the impression that someone doesn't matter.

A celebration of the Robins and it didn't have the current Robin.

King's list was approved by Tynion who loves Tim Drake and Lobdell choose not to comment when he could have defended Jason.

I don't why you bring that up since the people involved were a Catwoman fan, a Tim fan just having fun. Just because you didn't like the positions on the list doesn't mean they were mistreating the characters
    I don't know who should and shouldn't be rating the families combat skills but again it's not canon and not as harmful

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Have you guys seen the dub?
    I did actually. Thought the guy voicing Damian sounded a little like Yuri Lowenthal lol