Page 92 of 259 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 3875

I actually wanted Williamson to write Damian like Bakugo in Season 1 of MHA: an uber-talented kid with anger issues and overconfidence, who actually has the skills to back it up.

Then he went to Yuuei and saw that he was just a big fish in a small pond. He was gradually demoralized over like 2 episodes, and saw that he wasn't as special as he thought he was. He even admitted he couldn't beat Todoroki in a 1v1 and that he agreed with Yaoyorozu that he made stupid mistakes in his fight with Deku.

I can kinda see that here with the Robin series. He's already been demoralized by Flatline, Connor can be his Todoroki and I'm sure he's gonna be berated/laughed at by Rose.

They should've saved the cliffhanger for the second book. Like if he fought King Snake in the Lazarus tournament itself. It would have more meaning, and when the time came for his victory, he'd have his conflict with killing/not killing the father of Alfred's killer(Is it mandatory on the Island to kill? WILL he kill King Snake? Find out next time in Robin: Son of a B***h).

It may have been more impacting if book 1 built him up to be this overconfident badass, and book 2 ended with the girl stealing his heart. But, shock value sells and keeps people asking questions so...
    Last edited by Shen; 05-04-2021 at 12:06 AM.
    "What is better? To be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" ~ Paarthurnax

Robin 1 lived up to the hype and then some. Liked the bit with Alfred and Damian making sure his pets were taken care of before setting off was a nice touch.

Flatline's move def was a HxH reference. Damian biting the dust was unexpected. Not sure if that was supposed to be shocking? I mean this is what the 3rd time for the kid?

There's no stakes offing a character who has beaten death more than once, comes from a family [both sides] of folks who beat death on the regular and famously said that Death is a grey area. I just hope that Damian going forward doesn't abide by the 'to the death' mantra of the competition.

I would like him to make a point of not ending his opponents.

Looking forward to issue 2

It seems the DCeased story isn't over yet. Tom Taylor let it slip

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...83881128464387

Amazing Member

Not a Surprise if we sooner or later get new stuff...DCeased was better than expected and got a lot of love from what i have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shen View Post
    I actually wanted Williamson to write Damian like Bakugo in Season 1 of MHA: an uber-talented kid with anger issues and overconfidence, who actually has the skills to back it up.

Then he went to Yuuei and saw that he was just a big fish in a small pond. He was gradually demoralized over like 2 episodes, and saw that he wasn't as special as he thought he was. He even admitted he couldn't beat Todoroki in a 1v1 and that he agreed with Yaoyorozu that he made stupid mistakes in his fight with Deku.

I can kinda see that here with the Robin series. He's already been demoralized by Flatline, Connor can be his Todoroki and I'm sure he's gonna be berated/laughed at by Rose.

They should've saved the cliffhanger for the second book. Like if he fought King Snake in the Lazarus tournament itself. It would have more meaning, and when the time came for his victory, he'd have his conflict with killing/not killing the father of Alfred's killer(Is it mandatory on the Island to kill? WILL he kill King Snake? Find out next time in Robin: Son of a B***h).

It may have been more impacting if book 1 built him up to be this overconfident badass, and book 2 ended with the girl stealing his heart. But, shock value sells and keeps people asking questions so...
    But I feel that's what Williamson did? At first Damian defeated King Snake, a known martial artist, with ease, showing that he has the skills. But then, because of his arrogance, he's later defeated. And the pacing in comics is very different than an anime, being usually pretty fast. Besides, Williamson just did this cliffhanger of will or won't he kill in the back-ups, so, honestly, it would have looked pretty bad if he did it again. To me, he did the right choice.

But this is just first issue of a long arc, we need to wait for the story to develop. It has a very strong emotional base established, and this is clearly meant to grow Damian emotionally and as a fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkViKing View Post
    Not a Surprise if we sooner or later get new stuff...DCeased was better than expected and got a lot of love from what i have seen.
    Agreed.

I just hope Taylor's current heavy workload doesn't delay or affect the next instalment of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by the1&onlyE. View Post
    But I feel that's what Williamson did? At first Damian defeated King Snake, a known martial artist, with ease, showing that he has the skills. But then, because of his arrogance, he's later defeated. And the pacing in comics is very different than an anime, being usually pretty fast. Besides, Williamson just did this cliffhanger of will or won't he kill in the back-ups, so, honestly, it would have looked pretty bad if he did it again. To me, he did the right choice.

But this is just first issue of a long arc, we need to wait for the story to develop. It has a very strong emotional base established, and this is clearly meant to grow Damian emotionally and as a fighter.
    Exactly, I wanted things to go this way, or at least similarly. The one thing I didn't like though was that in the mini-series the 'will he kill' aspect was pretty brushed over.

I mean, Talia had it handled anyway - Damian said so himself, he didn't need to step in. To me that wasn't him saying No to killing, that was him saying "Ooh, shiny glowy green tats! You do you, mom."

It's kinda lame, considering everything that's led him to this point, to just let his recent homicidal behavior go and not address it on the pages properly. With the tournament, and apparently how they fight to the death, it would've been more poetic to see him reject killing King Snake. That's just my opinion though, the comic still looks good and I'm still hopeful for the future.
    "What is better? To be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" ~ Paarthurnax

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    The whole point of him entering a fight to the death tourament is to prove his worth to his mother and become a leader of an assassin group. Sounds "heroic" to me.
    Not only do you seem to have forgotten what we are talking about, I don't think you understood the story so far but that's irrelevant since it's got jack to do with his creator wanted him dead.

however I will applaud you for being honest enough to concede and admit that creators ARE doing something with the character. That they are trying to develop him. Grant had Damian die in protection of others and he's a villain in fighting tournament [by your interpretation]

I give you a D- for trying cos bro your trolling needs work. at the very least stay on point. I feel like you're not even trying
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-06-2021 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    One of the reasons why I like Damian so much as a character is because his characters lends himself to being more silly and over-the-top in some stories (like Super Sons) and more mature and arrogant in other stories (like Batman and Robin and Robin: Son of Batman) and still be unmistakably Damian.

A lot people struggle with this dichotomy, preferring one over the other, but in my opinion, that dichotomy is the character.
    As much as i enjoyed Supersons, I think that damian's character ended up compromised as the straight man but most of all it spawned a fanbase that seemed to believe that damian starts and ends with Supersons.

Damian in TT - it's because jon isn't there
    Damian needs his best friend, he's acting out because Jon's not there to be a positive influence.
    Jon bring's out the best in Damian
    jon makes Damian more likeable [Okay that one is fair. I just like full flavoured Damian much more]

These vocal ignorant and disrespectful fans who ignore everything that came before. Everything that shaped Damian and only view him as one half of a duo.

So disrespectful of the character that to them Damian has no agency or will without Jon. Damian, who had already saved the world twice before jon was even conceptualised.

These fans so entitled that they are still banging on about deaging Jon just so he can go on adventures with Damian. Pressuring creators constantly. Little wonder that in Robin 1 Jon is the other important figure in Damian's journey thus far. [Dick who]

I enjoyed Supersons but thanks to some of the fans not so much anymore. I'm glad Bendis aged jon up and I hope DC doesn't go back on the decision.

The individual characters were being swallowed by the partnership and for a character like Damian [who has a very strong presence], that takes a lot.

Damian reads manga - it's jon's influence. I swear if I see one more person post that on social media I'll have a fit.

That turned into a vent. wasn't directed at you @ garazza
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-06-2021 at 03:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    As much as i enjoyed Supersons, I think that damian's character ended up compromised as the straight man but most of all it spawned a fanbase that seemed to believe that damian starts and ends with Supersons.

Damian in TT - it's because jon isn't there
    Damian needs his best friend, he's acting out because Jon's not there to be a positive influence.
    Jon bring's out the best in Damian
    jon makes Damian more likeable [Okay that one is fair. I just like full flavoured Damian much more]

These vocal ignorant and disrespectful fans who ignore everything that came before. Everything that shaped Damian and only view him as one half of a duo.

So disrespectful of the character that to them Damian has no agency or will without Jon. Damian, who had already saved the world twice before jon was even conceptualised.

These fans so entitled that they are still banging on about deaging Jon just so he can go on adventures with Damian. Pressuring creators constantly. Little wonder that in Robin 1 Jon is the other important figure in Damian's journey thus far. [Dick who]

I enjoyed Supersons but thanks to some of the fans not so much anymore. I'm glad Bendis aged jon up and I hope DC doesn't go back on the decision.

The individual characters were being swallowed by the partnership and for a character like Damian [who has a very strong presence], that takes a lot.

Damian reads manga - it's jon's influence. I swear if I see one more person post that on social media I'll have a fit.

That turned into a vent. wasn't directed at you @ garazza
    Just for the manga part, did Damian read manga before meeting Jon?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    No indication really if Jon did influence Damian to read manga.
    This comes from the fact during the Supersons' run there was a poster of kid Goku and Naruto in Jon's room.
    Heck if anything it was Maps who influenced Damian to read manga.
    There's really no indication who influenced Damian to read manga, nor indication before meeting Jon he ever read some, heck maybe he just saw snippets of panels without context in manga, found them interesting, and took the liberty of reading one himself.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eckri View Post
    No indication really if Jon did influence Damian to read manga.
    This comes from the fact during the Supersons' run there was a poster of kid Goku and Naruto in Jon's room.
    Heck if anything it was Maps who influenced Damian to read manga.
    There's really no indication who influenced Damian to read manga, nor indication before meeting Jon he ever read some, heck maybe he just saw snippets of panels without context in manga, found them interesting, and took the liberty of reading one himself.
    I'll take it. I don't remember if Maps read manga. I only remember D&D, I mean Serpents and... what was it

Fantastic Member

One of the reasons why I like Damian so much as a character is because his characters lends himself to being more silly and over-the-top in some stories (like Super Sons) and more mature and arrogant in other stories (like Batman and Robin and Robin: Son of Batman) and still be unmistakably Damian.

A lot people struggle with this dichotomy, preferring one over the other, but in my opinion, that dichotomy is the character.
    This. I really love Damian's interactions with almost everyone. The Marquee's being Dick, Talia and Jon.

Dick Grayson - I don't think his guard is ever as fully down than when he is with Dick. Dick is his big brother, friend, mentor and one of the few people Damian allows to posture as an authority figure. While Dick is usually indulgent with Damian, he doesn't allow himself to be run over rough shod.

Talia - I like Damian's dynamic with her because it shows so much about who he is. They were raised nearly the same, only Damian turned his life around, Talia never did. The Al Ghul Haughty, superiority, cunning and macabre sense of detachment is always there. But at the same time, Talia and Damian always know where the other is and for the most part what the other is up too. Even after all Talia has done and her outlook that Damian turned is back on her, they still care about each other deeply. It's a complicated dynamic.

Jon - I like seeing Damian interact with people his own age (I liked the short-lived Colin Wilkes as well). Jon is an alien and has had a more traditional childhood (ignoring the horrific growth spurt) than Damian. They both have heroic ambitions but Jon's are more compassionate and that always came through during their interactions. I think the perfect example of their dynamic is when Talia was plotting to assassinate Lois Lane. Jon's speech to Damian about how everyone matters and etc. Jon's innate empathy, opposite Damian's innate callousness always entertains me. Added bonus, I love when the Al Ghuls interact with Superman. They seem to have such a distaste for him (Talia more than Damian) it cracks me up.

I'll take it. I don't remember if Maps read manga. I only remember D&D, I mean Serpents and... what was it
    Damian a kid with an eclectic interest in entertainment, hobbies, knowledge of cultures, back ground, education and love of the arts and yet fans don't go for the most obvious likelihood that he discovered manga on his own rather they choose to put forward being introduced to it by jon or maps [that's even more far fetched since they have had what 3 interactions and in none of those did we ever get any indication that maps is even into manga WTF is going on with these ridiculous HC's]

Art, violin, video games, literature, music, drama, dressing up, playing pretend, mimicking movies, chess and so much more are all some of his hobbies we've seen.

Damian's interest in manga is no doubt an addition from Williamson and Gleb being fans, the nature of the theme of the Robin series and manga's being very much a part of today's pop culture/trend.

Poor maya and colin. At least throw them in as possible friends who might have influenced Damian before Maps. A character that has even less of a relationship with Damian than Suren

Does jon read manga now? Has he ever read manga? Posters of an anime character doesn't mean he reads manga. he could just like anime or more likely it's an in joke like the Conner kent poster that was also a thing on his wall b4 Conner was even brought back. b4 Jon or even Superman met Conner in Rebirth.

this is from Superson 10
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-06-2021 at 09:06 AM.