Page 143 of 259 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 3875

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    I really hated that conversation in The Button because I am the biggest Damian fan and I would have never written that. Bruce is the father of multiple children, not just Damian. I remember Geoff Johns worked on that book with King, but I completely forgot Williamson was even involved, so now I have an issue with him.

Back during the New 52, the reason Damian rarely showed up or was referenced in Batman was because Snyder was told not to write about him because any and all Bruce and Damian stuff was to be told in Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin. I'd say a similar arrangement is in place now with the edict in Tynion's Batman being focus on new characters and Williamson's Robin will be the place to deal with Bruce and Damian's issues, while all the ancillary titles will feature the rest of the Batfamily.
    At this point Bruce was Tim legal Guardian not adoptive parent according to tec, Jason was Bruce's foster kid not adoptive son [this was prior to the King Batman issue the re-established that Dick was adopted so at the time Damian was Bruce's only legal son.

I saw a lot of people complaining about that and others defending it as Damian being the only one related to Thomas by Blood but the truth was that in canon [Rebirth tec and rebirth RHATO] the status of the bat family changed.

That not true about Snyder's Batman. Snyder said that Damian reminds him of his kid which was why he couldn't write him
    This is backed up by Morrison and Tomasi

Tomasi said that he knows Scott thinks Robin is irresponsible and something Bruce would never do.
    Morrison laughed at the idea of Snyder having to write Damian since one of the reasons why he wanted to put his toys back in the box was because Scott likes Batman without alone.

Snyder made the decision not to have Damian in his Batman run not DC.
    Last edited by Fergus; 07-22-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Oh, I couldn't care less who's adoption is still canon or not, nothing is going to erase their place in the family and the larger universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Eh, I have seen some people get enraged simply because of scenes where Bruce refers to Damian as his son or when a writer dares to give us a glimmer of affection between those two because "Damian's existence is undermining Bruce's adopted children!!!". I'm sure you don't mean it that way, but I'm kinda over people getting needlessly angry at this.
    I recently reread Tynion's run on Detective Comics and I noticed how many hugs Bruce gives to Tim, Cass and Steph. The last time Bruce hugged Damian was 2015 in Convergence. The best we've gotten since then were some hands on a shoulder and some nice words about how Bruce cares about Damian when he wasn't even there to hear it. People need to calm down.

That's not entirely true though. Damian's death and how Bruce handled it played a part in Snyder's run too, not just in Batman and Robin. While Damian is not dead he did quit as Robin, had a big falling out with Bruce and ran away from his family. I expected that to have a bigger impact. I had to sit through two years of Teen Titans character assassinating Damian, the least they can do is make it feel like it mattered. Even in Tomasi's last arc on Detective Comics the whole thing seemed to be at the bottom of Bruce's priority list. It's just kinda sad at this point how little this seems to matter to the characters around Damian.
    I'm the kind of fan that knows Bruce loves all his children equally. Damian is Bruce's only biological son, that's a fact, but it's also a fact that Damian is the "youngest" member of the Batfamily. He's the baby brother. Tim used to be the baby, now he's the middle child. That's just how families grow. If fans don't like that, they can suck it.

But I agree, what I'm not over is DC writing Bruce to be neglectful father to his son.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    At this point Bruce was Tim legal Guardian not adoptive parent according to tec, Jason was Bruce's foster kid not adoptive son [this was prior to the King Batman issue the re-established that Dick was adopted so at the time Damian was Bruce's only legal son.

I saw a lot of people complaining about that and others defending it as Damian being the only one related to Thomas by Blood but the truth was that in canon [Rebirth tec and rebirth RHATO] the status of the bat family changed.

That not true about Snyder's Batman. Snyder said that Damian reminds him of his kid which was why he couldn't write him

Tomasi said that he knows Scott thinks Robin is irresponsible and something Bruce would never do.
    Morrison laughed at the idea of Snyder having to write Damian since one of the reasons why he wanted to put his toys back in the box was because Scott likes Batman without alone.

https://youtu.be/IGv4sdjseGg?t=3477

This is where I got my Snyder/Damian info from. I mostly remembered the first part of his answer, but not the second.

I have a feeling Bruce cares much much muuuuch more about people when they go, so I can see he as a good father when his child die or almost die than when they are trying they best for keep close, same thing with how he deal with Alfred for example...
    I remember a ig post when people was "but he went to hell for get Damian back!" True, but he also take Jason for his death place for get a clue or something like this and is verry cold 1 day after Damian comeback.
    Last edited by Rebeca Armus; 07-22-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

Sorry for my poor English comprehension, but I though foster kid and adoptive kid are the same thing?

Regarding Synder, I agree that Synder himself who avoid writing Damian. I remember Williamson said that he had fought to write Damian on Gotham Resistence, and on comicvine there's discussion about Damian's existence is the marker of Synder's influence on a story (more Damian appearance is less Synder's influence).

Eh, I have seen some people get enraged simply because of scenes where Bruce refers to Damian as his son or when a writer dares to give us a glimmer of affection between those two because "Damian's existence is undermining Bruce's adopted children!!!". I'm sure you don't mean it that way, but I'm kinda over people getting needlessly angry at this.
    I recently reread Tynion's run on Detective Comics and I noticed how many hugs Bruce gives to Tim, Cass and Steph. The last time Bruce hugged Damian was 2015 in Convergence. The best we've gotten since then were some hands on a shoulder and some nice words about how Bruce cares about Damian when he wasn't even there to hear it. People need to calm down.
    Speaking about hug comparison, Jarro got hugged more than Damian was ever
    Last edited by Light of Justice; 07-22-2021 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Sorry for my poor English comprehension, but I though foster kid and adoptive kid are the same thing?
    Nah. On the parenthood ladder, fostering is like that one step below adopting. When you foster a kid it's usually a temporary thing. You haven't legally become their parent. Though it's definitely not unheard of for a child to be adopted by their foster family. That's what my parents did for my older brother.

Ouch >-< why Bruce, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Nah. On the parenthood ladder, fostering is like that one step below adopting. When you foster a kid it's usually a temporary thing. You haven't legally become their parent. Though it's definitely not unheard of for a child to be adopted by their foster family. That's what my parents did for my older brother.
    Ohhhhh. Now the ""Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"" make a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeca Armus View Post
    I have a feeling Bruce cares much much muuuuch more about people when they go, so I can see he as a good father when his child die or almost die than when they are trying they best for keep close, same thing with how he deal with Alfred for example...
    I remember a ig post when people was "but he went to hell for get Damian back!" True, but he also take Jason for his death place for get a clue or something like this and is verry cold 1 day after Damian comeback.
    Yeah, I guess it's possible to read it as Bruce being kinda obsessed with mourning/idolising the dead and Bruce loving heroic acts a lot more than being a good parent or at least a decent one on a reliable daily basis. Probably not DC's intention, but not an interpretation without evidence to back it up.

I think the conversation between Bruce and Damian on the boat shortly after Damian's resurrection is actually a bit funny. Bruce talks about how he can't really explain why it worked, but he believes that his love for Damian and his resolve to get him back made the chaos shard (or whatever it was called) grant him a wish and Damian's only reply to that was to say that you should be careful what you wish for lol.
    I'm sure Tomasi truly wanted Damian's resurrection to be an honest act of love, but I agree, how DC handled their relationship after Bruce got Damian back opened the gates for a more cynical view on the whole affair.
    Last edited by Astralabius; 07-22-2021 at 09:27 PM.

The difference between how Bruce treated Jarro and how he treated Damian at the same time was pretty jarring, that's for sure.

The difference between how Bruce treated Jarro and how he treated Damian at the same time was pretty jarring, that's for sure.
    Hah - Jarring XD
    "What is better? To be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" ~ Paarthurnax

Quote Originally Posted by Shen View Post
    Hah - Jarring XD
    I didn't even notice that when I wrote it, I'm so sorry :')

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Oh, I couldn't care less who's adoption is still canon or not, nothing is going to erase their place in the family and the larger universe.
    Canon is canon.
    I don't think anyone can argue that Robin are family. Just the sheer length of time they have been a part of each others lives forces closeness.

EG even if Bruce never adopted Dick no one can argue with a straight face that his bond with Dick isn't by far stronger than that he shares with the others
    However I can see why Bruce would only mention Damian to Thomas even while seeing the others as his kids
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-23-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Regarding Synder, I agree that Synder himself who avoid writing Damian. I remember Williamson said that he had fought to write Damian on Gotham Resistence, and on comicvine there's discussion about Damian's existence is the marker of Synder's influence on a story (more Damian appearance is less Synder's influence).

When you adopt a child that means that the bio parents have relinquished their rights and you have parental responsibility for the child.

Foster parenting/care is when the bio parents aren't able to take care of a child for whatever reason so the kids are put into care but the parents HAVEN'T relinquished their rights as a parents.

Foster care normally for a set time period.

Correct Snyder had issues writing Damian due to his issues with Robin as a concept and the fact that he had young kids.

It's notable that in his stories when Damian was 10 he wasn't really put in danger too often and when he wrote he he'd write in aspects of his kids life into Damian such as the rock Band [his sons have a garage band] and Damian sassing wW [Snyder shared an antidote of one of his kids doing something similar with a teacher]

I feel fans feel Jarro is less of a threat [a joke character] so they don't take it seriously.
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-23-2021 at 07:55 AM.