Page 11 of 259 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Of course he should. it's not his age which matetrs, it's that he finally had managed to break off the control of his father like he had his mother's, in a way which elft no doubt about it. And he returns to it like a whipped dog. that's trash storytelling and a true character assassination. Far more than what was done in TT where Damian was likeable, and perhaps my favorite depiction of him since a very long time. You felt for him. But now, this decision to call himself Robin all over again just destroy all of it in the worst way. And that's a damn shame.
    TT Damian was likeable?
    Robbie Thompson's Teen Titans?

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    TT Damian was likeable?
    Robbie Thompson's Teen Titans?
    Yes. You could see him hurting and yet still try to do the right thing, battling with the very rules of a never-ending super-heroes comic universe. You saw how, time and again, eh strove for ways to make the world safer without killing. He tried all he could, it made him tremendously great. And in the end, he even told, in no uncertain terms, that he was done taking orders from Batman, that he was done being someone else, and was free to be whoever he wanted. And now he returns to Robin as if nothing had happened. That's just terrible writing, it robs him of his agency, it makes him look more like a petulant and in fact overreacting child than it makes him great.

And all of this could have been avoided if he wasn't calling himself Robin. Damian doesn't need this mantle to sell or be distinct from other characters. The mantle does tremendously little to help him, in fact it's more a leash than anything else.

Yes. You could see him hurting and yet still try to do the right thing, battling with the very rules of a never-ending super-heroes comic universe. You saw how, time and again, eh strove for ways to make the world safer without killing. He tried all he could, it made him tremendously great. And in the end, he even told, in no uncertain terms, that he was done taking orders from Batman, that he was done being someone else, and was free to be whoever he wanted. And now he returns to Robin as if nothing had happened. That's just terrible writing, it robs him of his agency, it makes him look more like a petulant and in fact overreacting child than it makes him great.

And all of this could have been avoided if he wasn't calling himself Robin. Damian doesn't need this mantle to sell or be distinct from other characters. The mantle does tremendously little to help him, in fact it's more a leash than anything else.
    I didn't find him likeable at all during that run, but different strokes i guess.

Even so, Tomasi already made him make peace with Bruce in TEC. We'll see how Williamson make the transition back to Robin. But i suspect that Tim wll be the one working for Bruce, since Tynion loves him, and Damian will have his adventures by himself.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Of course he should. it's not his age which matetrs, it's that he finally had managed to break off the control of his father like he had his mother's, in a way which elft no doubt about it. And he returns to it like a whipped dog. that's trash storytelling and a true character assassination. Far more than what was done in TT where Damian was likeable, and perhaps my favorite depiction of him since a very long time. You felt for him. But now, this decision to call himself Robin all over again just destroy all of it in the worst way. And that's a damn shame.
    What control? He basically let him go off on his own, if anything he doesn't have enough control (read: give enough attention) as a parent.

I didn't find him likeable at all during that run, but different strokes i guess.

Even so, Tomasi already made him make peace with Bruce in TEC. We'll see how Williamson make the transition back to Robin. But i suspect that Tim wll be the one working for Bruce, since Tynion loves him, and Damian will have his adventures by himself.
    Then all the more reason for him to not be calling himself Robin !

And I was against letting Tomasi write Damian ever again in main continuity after what he did to the character in Superman and then Supersons, and as I feared, he made sure I could never enjoy the character again.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What control? He basically let him go off on his own, if anything he doesn't have enough control (read: give enough attention) as a parent.
    And yet, every time they share a panel, he boss Damian around. it's quite clear that the Robin mantle is meant as a leash to keep Damian under Bruce's thumb more than it serves his son. And if this story is used to revive Alfred... the Bruce + Damian corner of the Batbook will be dead for me, because nothing which will happens here will matter and the only way to make me loath it more would be to marry Bruce and Selina for good and have them have a baby on which to lavish their love so that Bruce's little mutt could also "learn to be better" or some **** like that DC would then spew...
    Last edited by Korath; 01-14-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Spectacular Member

This is great news! It's about time he got another ongoing. Looking forward to see what Williamson has in store!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

And yet, every time they share a panel, he boss Damian around. it's quite clear that the Robin mantle is meant as a leash to keep Damian under Bruce's thumb more than it serves his son. And if this story is used to revive Alfred... the Bruce + Damian corner of the Batbook will be dead for me, because nothing which will happens here will matter and the only way to make me loath it more would be to marry Bruce and Selina for good and have them have a baby on which to lavish their love so that Bruce's little mutt could also "learn to be better" or some **** like that DC would then spew...
    The writers of Teen Titans or whoever's planning for Damian to quit Robin (since the order came from the top) doesn't realize (or ignore) that portraying Bruce with that whole attitude of ignoring and berating doesn't make sense for someone who went to Apokolips to revive his son.

You like the portrayal in Teen Titans and accept the setup, that's fine, but I don't even accept the baseline concept of the past few years in the first place. So I'm waiting until they're done and it's back to a place where it makes sense.

...and since the setup for this story is still Damian trying to be on his own, and Bruce doing idk whatever, we're not back yet, and I'm still waiting until it's completely over.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-14-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Then he needs to stop being a super-hero. Stop lying to yourself, he is a child-soldier, and he won't ever stop to be if he doesn't ditch the cowl entirely. He will NEVER be a child.
    I'm really wondering what you read with Damian except for Teen Titans considering that Damian allowing himself to be a kid is a pretty common theme in Damian's stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    I'm really wondering what you read with Damian except for Teen Titans considering that Damian allowing himself to be a kid is a pretty common theme in Damian's stories.
    No, he allows himself moments of levity. Everyone does that, even adults, it help us endure the stress of life. Being a child, as in seeing the world with the innocence and gentleness of a child is already hard to keep for long in today's world. For child soldier, it's almost impossible even once they are taken out of the groups which made them killers at such a young age. For those who are still soldiering, even under other rules of engagement, it is simply impossible. Damian can't ever be a child because as a hero he is forever forced to see the darkness and rot of the world. That's as simple as that.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Then all the more reason for him to not be calling himself Robin !
    Then what name should they call him? If they give him new name out of nowhere, new reader who don't know **** about Damian will skip it. This is Damian's first solo after a long time, and they need iconic name and title to attract new readers. 2 identities belongs to Damian that's popular enough are "Robin" and "Son of Batman" (Grandson of Demon Head is not popular enough, look at Mara and Nyssa). Which one between two of them that makes him tied with Bruce? If we're looking at business perspective, his solo titled Robin is understandable. He's on solo mission (or maybe with some help from his mother), he's done being Batman's sidekick and looks like he will put himself on gladiator ring so I think the "Robin" title is nothing more than advertisement.

No, he allows himself moments of levity. Everyone does that, even adults, it help us endure the stress of life. Being a child, as in seeing the world with the innocence and gentleness of a child is already hard to keep for long in today's world. For child soldier, it's almost impossible even once they are taken out of the groups which made them killers at such a young age. For those who are still soldiering, even under other rules of engagement, it is simply impossible. Damian can't ever be a child because as a hero he is forever forced to see the darkness and rot of the world. That's as simple as that.
    Funny how that doesn't apply to other child heroes.

Funny how that doesn't apply to other child heroes.
    to be fair, a lot of the other child heroes weren't child soldiers/groomed to be warlords like Damian was; most had regular (-ish) childhoods.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Turn down the edge a bit buddy. I literally don't understand how that is your interpretation of Damian's stories.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    to be fair, a lot of the other child heroes weren't child soldiers/groomed to be warlords like Damian was; most had regular (-ish) childhoods.
    That's why the little moments that he can act like a kid are so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Turn down the edge a bit buddy. I literally don't understand how that is your interpretation of Damian's stories.
    Well, I read them ? Damian as never been a gentle child. He wasn't taught that way, he didn't grew up that way, and yet he has an heart of gold, beneath everything. But he sees the world differently from anyone who would have lived a normal childhood. And he nonetheless tries to do good. That's why he was such a great character. And that's why him returning to RObin after having ditched it is terrible.

I don't understand how anyone could be actually happy he returns to the Robin's mantle when it doesn't make sense story wise and highlight one of the greatest weaknesses of superhero comics, the lack of cohesive and actually meaningful storytelling.

That's why the little moments that he can act like a kid are so good.
    That's a thing, he doesn't act like a kid so much as he act like a normal person does. And I'm fine with that. but he's not a slapstick comedy character. He isn't a funny (in the traditional sense of the term) character.