Page 183 of 259 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 3875

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    Dick Grayson is fun-loving, chatty, wholesome guy, with a permanent smile on his face. Tim Drake is stoic, quieter, more introverted, prone to obsession, and focused on intellectual pursuits. I love them both as characters, but Teen Titans's Robin was much closer to Tim personality-wise, though as I said, he did have plenty of Dick Grayson elements.

I don't think the bow staff or any design choice have anything to do with it.
    That’s not actually how Dick was during his NTTs days. Dick was highly focused, intellectual, and retreated. Dick’s character has fazes, Dick Grayson becoming that fun-loving, chatty, wholesome guy, with a permanent smile on his face again was something he had to mature back into being. After years of being with the Titans and working through his insecurities and conditioning.

Astonishing Member

Dick Grayson is fun-loving, chatty, wholesome guy, with a permanent smile on his face. Tim Drake is stoic, quieter, more introverted, prone to obsession, and focused on intellectual pursuits. I love them both as characters, but Teen Titans's Robin was much closer to Tim personality-wise, though as I said, he did have plenty of Dick Grayson elements.

I don't think the bow staff or any design choice have anything to do with it.
    Dick Grayson wasn't always that way. In New Teen Titans, he was pretty stoic, quiet and analytical (even when he was Robin).

Dick becomes fun-loving in Dixon's Nightwing. This is likely, because they want him to be different from Batman.

That's why I suspect the Robin's personality in the OGN won't be so contradictory in personality with Damian.

I like these sketches. Like the fact that he is taller than in 2020:

Robin 2021 Annual Damian Wayne move.jpg
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-11-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    That’s not actually how Dick was during his NTTs days. Dick was highly focused, intellectual, and retreated. Dick’s character has fazes, Dick Grayson becoming that fun-loving, chatty, wholesome guy, with a permanent smile on his face again was something he had to mature back into being. After years of being with the Titans and working through his insecurities and conditioning.
    And then there was how Trigon things happened... to Dick.

Although the Robin from Teen Titans certainly took elements from Dick, he was pretty clearly a composite character - his personality was much closer to Tim's, for example.
    What! This is untrue and needs to be killed with fire.

People should read the actual comics not just repeat claims they see online as if it's factual.

Yet more misinformation spread by the fans of "The Best Robin". Have you heard that Tim is the only other person that Ra's has called Detective other than Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Dick Grayson wasn't always that way. In New Teen Titans, he was pretty stoic, quiet and analytical (even when he was Robin).

Dick becomes fun-loving in Dixon's Nightwing. This is likely, because they want him to be different from Batman.

That's why I suspect the Robin's personality in the OGN won't be so contradictory in personality with Damian.
    Yeah I don't think he'll be that contradictory. Toned down the brattish priggish ways yeah but still enough to be recognisably Damian.

DC is so strange. If the book is out of continuity and is using some of Dick's personal lore why not just use that robin?

A Robin is a Robin. But use the current Robin who is Damian.

So are they interchangeable or not?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    DC is so strange. If the book is out of continuity and is using some of Dick's personal lore why not just use that robin?

A Robin is a Robin. But use the current Robin who is Damian.

So are they interchangeable or not?
    Not they are not the same, even though from a distance they sometimes look it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    People should read the actual comics not just repeat claims they see online as if it's factual.
    To be fair, there are many comics where Dick is fun-loving, while Tim is more serious. So, people could have problems to associate Dick's personality in many comics with the serious Robin in Teen Titans animation.

That's the "problem" with Dick's personality changing so much through the years.

Extraordinary Member

To be fair, there are many comics where Dick is fun-loving, while Tim is more serious. So, people could have problems to associate Dick's personality in many comics with the serious Robin in Teen Titans animation.

That's the "problem" with Dick's personality changing so much through the years.
    I don’t see it as problem
    But a blessing. He has grown up become the man he is. It no wonder he was so serious as a teen, being raised by the big bat, and I’ll definitely give it up to starfire for his more lightheartedness later on

Ya, thats not a problem. Thats character progression. Thats what chracters like Tim dream about so they can stop trying to be defined by general character traits. Thats the real problem. Not that Dick's personality is multifaceted, but that the other's aren't.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-12-2021 at 06:50 PM.

This is why i don't like this scene from Batman and Robin Eternal. People put this characters inside of a box and think they can't be something different. You can get any era of Wolfman's Teen Titans run and see that Dick was serious, some times even too much. Same with Winnick's Outsiders.

These characters have layers, they aren't just "You are the fist, you are the brain, you are the heart".

Last edited by Drako; 09-12-2021 at 06:51 PM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

Ya, thats not a problem. Thats character progression. Thats what chracters like Tim dream about so they can stop trying to be defined by general character traits. Thats the real problem. Not that Dick's personality is multifaceted, but that the other's aren't.
    The problem is that people define characters by general traits, because it is easier. And current comics also work with that aspect.

That's why it doesn't matter that Dick has a rich story of different facets, many fans currently define Dick by general traits too. That's the reason why they think Robin's personality in Teen Titans animation is closer to Tim.

Honestly, I've problem to call Dick being fun-loving by Dixon as a character progression when it was clearly make to differentiate him from Batman.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-12-2021 at 07:53 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    This is why i don't like this scene from Batman and Robin Eternal. People put this characters inside of a box and think they can't be something different. You can get any era of Wolfman's Teen Titans run and see that Dick was serious, some times even too much. Same with Winnick's Outsiders.

These characters have layers, they aren't just "You are the fist, you are the brain, you are the heart".

Fair enough we all have favorite eras of our characters, and character progression makes the characters more entertaining.
    Jason fans would loathe at Pre-New 52 Jason but adore New 52 era Jason.
    Tim fans loved his Robin run and wish for him currently to be more prominent
    Damian fans mostly didn't like the Teen Titans run but Son of Batman and current Robin series are adored.

Same with Dick, different eras different types. Some liked his more serious tone, and some light hearted. And character progression could mix the two into a good compromise. Personally my all time favorite era/version of Dick is from Adam West verse. He's serious, funny, and all around wholesome.

caped-crusaders.jpg

Fantastic Member

The problem is that people define characters by general traits, because it easier. And current comics also work with that aspect.
    Might as well include that if they want to sell people on comics, it is easier for them to label each character with one trait. Just to tell the character to non-comic readers. You just don't dump a whole comic history worth on people, you gotta ease them in into reading and figuring it out with little steps. General traits helps that.

That way if some non-comic readers wants to delve into comics, they can find out that Dick Grayson isn't just a all fun around guy, he can be serious.