Page 27 of 259 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Well, they have almost entire Bat-family there, except him, and he's one of most important bat-characters. Not to mention his character's potentital and his popularity. So, yeah, it's pretty weird just to kill him off and that's it.
    Eh, killing off a character if you don't know what to do with them in an alternate future is pretty normal for DC. I also think it's possible that they simply didn't want to have two Robins running around.

I dont really think Damian not appearing in Future State is that big a deal. I've been enjoying it so far and don't reallt see where he could have fitted in.

I think its very likely he was intended to show up a little down the line so was probably a casualty of Future State becoming a 2 month event. If it had become the main status quo I would not be suprised if Damian showing up would have been an arc 6 months later to build hype.

Fantastic Member

spoilers:
    Well Damian does appear in Future State: Robin Eternal. Hallucination, of course. Then there's Teen Titans where Red X reveals his face, but honestly unless DC wants the canon that Damian has brown hair, it's not him
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Eckri View Post
    spoilers:
    Well Damian does appear in Future State: Robin Eternal. Hallucination, of course. Then there's Teen Titans where Red X reveals his face, but honestly unless DC wants the canon that Damian has brown hair, it's not him
    end of spoilers
    There is the hair thing, but more importantly the story and the solicitations for Future State and Infinite Frontier make it perfectly clear that Red X is a student of Titans Academy. It's a student who was inspired by Dick talking about the time he created the Red X identity and brought it back.
    Damian won't be a student, he will be in his own ongoing as Robin fighting in a tournament on a secret island for the next few months.
    Most of the teachers in the Academy used to be his team members and half the students hate him because they are from the Glass run that Damian just got out of. Damian has no reason to become a student of TA.

We'll find out which student of Titans Academy will become Red X in that book. That seems to be its biggest hook.

Joshua Williamson recently made a new interview in which he talked about Infinite Frontier, Robin, etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8BqPoO-oHg

Among other things, he says that Future State won't affect Robin, because Damian is not in it at all, so I guess I am just a clown. Either way, I really want to know why editorial decided not to use him, but I suppose the matter is settled.
    Last edited by the1&onlyE.; 02-11-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the1&onlyE. View Post
    Joshua Williamson recently made a new interview in which he talked about Infinite Frontier, Robin, etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8BqPoO-oHg

Among other things, he says that Future State won't affect Robin, because Damian is not in it at all, so I guess I am just a clown. Either way, I really want to know why editorial decided not to use him, but I suppose the matter is settled.
    Wow they really tried to bury Damian. For Tim or for Tim?
    To take Robin from him or to replace one diverse character with another.

A Black batman is cool but the Future JL having a part Asian part Arabian batman would have been even better.

Remind folks that there's more than just Black and white. Diversity doesn't automatically =black.

Astonishing Member

I'm still pretty sure that in 5G he was in the same role that Magistrate now has in Future State. And they simply did not have time to come up with a new role for him. Although in general I am very surprised that Williamson did not come up with something for him.

I'm glad he made it clear that FS won't affect Robin. There is no connection between the two.
    To me that sounds like I'll be able to enjoy Robin in peace without having to worry about him getting killed of or imprisoned to explain his absence in FS.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I'm still pretty sure that in 5G he was in the same role that Magistrate now has in Future State. And they simply did not have time to come up with a new role for him. Although in general I am very surprised that Williamson did not come up with something for him.
    I guess you could be correct but it feels unbelievable to me that they just didn't have time to come up with a direction for him. Damian is one of the more important bat characters so that they simply forgot one of bruce's heirs. the heir that belongs to the generation that 5G was focusing on. That sounds unlikely.

How do you start writing a future where the Supersons are broken up without remembering Damian?

It feels deliberate and it's nothing new.

DC giving in to fanboys and political correctness is the norm. Hence why it makes no sense. Damian is a popular and profitable character of colour. It should be win win.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    I'm glad he made it clear that FS won't affect Robin. There is no connection between the two.
    To me that sounds like I'll be able to enjoy Robin in peace without having to worry about him getting killed of or imprisoned to explain his absence in FS.
    That is a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

A Black batman is cool but the Future JL having a part Asian part Arabian batman would have been even better.

Remind folks that there's more than just Black and white. Diversity doesn't automatically =black.
    I have to disagree with you in what you said about Jace; I actually think he's a incredible addition, and having a black Batman is really important! Damian is also POC, but DC never committed fully with this, so some people don't consider him a good representation, even though he should be one.

Now, realistically speaking, I guess he really was buried for both lol. Which, to me, it's pretty stupid, because he doesn't need to be Robin or Batman necessarily in the future, especially in a relatively close one. But yeah, it bothers me a lot that he was excluded in a future in which his generation is supposed to be the heroes in action, and seeing Jon as Superman with no mention of Damian at all hurts a little, but, like Astralabius said, Robin not being affected by FS is actually pretty good.

In the end, Future State is just a two-month event. What matters is what comes next.

I have to disagree with you in what you said about Jace; I actually think he's a incredible addition, and having a black Batman is really important! Damian is also POC, but DC never committed fully with this, so some people don't consider him a good representation, even though he should be one.

Now, realistically speaking, I guess he really was buried for both lol. Which, to me, it's pretty stupid, because he doesn't need to be Robin or Batman necessarily in the future, especially in a relatively close one. But yeah, it bothers me a lot that he was excluded in a future in which his generation is supposed to be the heroes in action, and seeing Jon as Superman with no mention of Damian at all hurts a little, but, like Astralabius said, Robin not being affected by FS is actually pretty good.

In the end, Future State is just a two-month event. What matters is what comes next.
    How is having a black Batman Important? Why is it Important?

there's a Chinese Batman and we have a batman of Africa. Seems to me dc did not need a black batman. They already had one that was simply not Bruce Wayne.

I'm glad Damian wasn't a part of FS since it doesn't feel sincere or well thought out but it's still shocking that they were prepared to bury one of the few well known and established characters of colour on DC's roster and I'd like to know who thought that was a good idea.

Thank God for Dceased. 1000x better than FS JL and with more content. I can enjoy that trinity. Can't wait for the next instalment
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-11-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

DCeased says hi.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Of course DC isn't sincere in their push for diversity but we should be glad that WB is behind Damian and that Damian is profitable.

I just hope Robin sells well.

As for him being part of his gen's trinity. that doesn't matter. like dietrich said we have DCeased. A beloved elseword and that world is still on-going.

Robin is the important title since these characters aren't about to replace the OG's. Damian was never going to become Batman in the way bruce or Terry are

How is having a black Batman Important? Why is it Important?

there's a Chinese Batman and we have a batman of Africa. Seems to me dc did not need a black batman. They already had one that was simply not Bruce Wayne.

I'm glad Damian wasn't a part of FS since it doesn't feel sincere or well thought out but it's still shocking that they were prepared to bury one of the few well known and established characters of colour on DC's roster and I'd like to know who thought that was a good idea.

Thank God for Dceased. 1000x better than FS JL and with more content. I can enjoy that trinity. Can't wait for the next instalment
    There's never been a black Batman in main continuity before. You're talking about Batwing.

Most people don't even know Damian is a character of color, and if we're being honest, DC has made him white passing since his inception.

Getting mad over Damian not being Batman in Future State doesn't make sense, 'cause Future State's Batman is meant to make the jump into main continuity. And Damian in main continuity is 13 years old and currently wants nothing to do with the Bat-Family ('Course, that won't last, 'cause he's got the Robin series).

But if we're being honest, Batman as a concept shouldn't exist. Neither should Robin. How can you be superheroes without superpowers? It's a total contradiction!
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 02-11-2021 at 07:42 PM.