Page 28 of 259 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    There's never been a black Batman in main continuity before. You're talking about Batwing.

Most people don't even know Damian is a character of color, and if we're being honest, DC has made him white passing since his inception.

Getting mad over Damian not being Batman in Future State doesn't make sense, 'cause Future State's Batman is meant to make the jump into main continuity. And Damian in main continuity is 13 years old and currently wants nothing to do with the Bat-Family ('Course, that won't last, 'cause he's got the Robin series).

But if we're being honest, Batman as a concept shouldn't exist. Neither should Robin. How can you be superheroes without superpowers? It's a total contradiction!
    Honestly not that bothered about damian being FS Batman or any sort of Batman since it's not like anyone other than maybe Terry can ever be a notable batman besides bruce.

I do however have issues when DC makes a big song and dance about representation and then proceeds to leave out the most prominent minority character they have ever produced.

Don't get me started on DC's inability/reluctance to depict Damian's heritage.

DC has zero interest in representation or diversity aside from quick bucks. I had hoped that Daniel Cherry might bring about a change but sadly that hasn't been the case.

DC could have had David to counter BP

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Honestly not that bothered about damian being FS Batman or any sort of Batman since it's not like anyone other than maybe Terry can ever be a notable batman besides bruce.

I do however have issues when DC makes a big song and dance about representation and then proceeds to leave out the most prominent minority character they have ever produced.

Don't get me started on DC's inability/reluctance to depict Damian's heritage.

DC has zero interest in representation or diversity aside from quick bucks. I had hoped that Daniel Cherry might bring about a change but sadly that hasn't been the case.

DC could have had David to counter BP
    I get you're a Damian Wayne fan, but... "The most prominent minority character they have ever produced"? Ooh, I don't know about that one.

Anyway, a black Batman is pretty amazing and great for black kids and kids of color in general. I dunno what this "Damian would be better because he's Arabian and Chinese" thing is, it's just not the case. One, we don't have to go down that route in the first place. Two, a black Batman is incredibly relevant after historical events in America. Three, Damian can't provide the dynamics that Jace does.

But why talk about Jace in Damian's appreciation thread? I, too, love the blood son! Even though Tim Drake totally kicked his butt twice in a row.

I get you're a Damian Wayne fan, but... "The most prominent minority character they have ever produced"? Ooh, I don't know about that one.

Anyway, a black Batman is pretty amazing and great for black kids and kids of color in general. I dunno what this "Damian would be better because he's Arabian and Chinese" thing is, it's just not the case. One, we don't have to go down that route in the first place. Two, a black Batman is incredibly relevant after historical events in America. Three, Damian can't provide the dynamics that Jace does.

But why talk about Jace in Damian's appreciation thread? I, too, love the blood son! Even though Tim Drake totally kicked his butt twice in a row.
    nothing to do with being a Damian Fan. Robin is one of the the most well known heroes in comics period.

We already had a Black Batman David and he wasn't just some guy dressed in bruce's clothes.

mate there are no bragging rights when a 16 year old fights an undersized 10 year old. None what so ever and it doesn't help when we recall that Damian then goes on to thoroughly take down 17 yr old Tim in Robin War and bested him in a psychological battle.

Again no bragging rights for throwing hands with a 10 year old.
    Or maybe there is because here you are.

I wonder how the other non Black race's feel about diversity in the media? After Caucasians African Americans are the next majority. Sure there's the whole BLM movement going on but Blacks have way more representation than other minorities. And yes we do have to go down that route.

If we are going to go down the route of active inclusion then we have to look at who's missing. Who is under represented in comics.

Arabs/Middle eastern people and Muslims are on the scant side.
    And we already had a black batman. I wonder how many black readers would have preferred David over Tim.
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-11-2021 at 11:02 PM.

nothing to do with being a Damian Fan. Robin is one of the the most well known heroes in comics period.

We already had a Black Batman David and he wasn't just some guy dressed in bruce's clothes.

mate there are no bragging rights when a 16 year old fights an undersized 10 year old. None what so ever and it doesn't help when we recall that Damian then goes on to thoroughly take down 17 yr old Tim in Robin War and bested him in a psychological battle.

I wonder how the other non Black race's feel about diversity in the media? After Caucasians African Americans are the next majority. Sure there's the whole BLM movement going on but Blacks have way more representation than other minorities. And yes we do have to go down that route.

If we are going to go down the route of active inclusion then we have to look at who's missing. Who is under represented in comics.

And we already had a black batman. I wonder how many black readers would have preferred David over Tim.
    Why do you keep saying we had a black Batman? David Zavimbe was Batwing, not Batman.

And according to the censuses taken, after Caucasians people of Hispanic descent are the majority. There's no route to go down, as black people are still underrepresented in media and have only just started to get representation in meaningful ways in the larger media (Compared to the obvious majority). Everybody knows this.

What's Arabs/Middle eastern people being on the "scant side" have to do with Jace Fox (Though if you're looking for representation, check out Summer Zahid in Teen Titans Academy)?Damian couldn't provide any of the same beats as Jace's Batman, Jace was created decades before him and created before all of the other Robins except for Dick, that's why he was chosen. Oh, yeah, and Damian is 13.

Oh, yeah, and Damian is 13.
    The age thing doesn't really matter - 10 or 13, Damian took him down. He's still a kid, and he doesn't have the phsyical capabilities of someone trained for around the same amount of time he was - also defeating the Brainy Robin in a battle of wits as a kid is very impressive.
    Although I am biased I guess, I find Tim deeply annoying.

Also, get where you're coming from, and DC is an American based company so they have to show some representation to African-American individuals in this new event that's bringing back older characters - so what better way than to use an older character of that race in a notable position like Batman whilst Bruce does his new Dark Douche hobby.

Perfect DC sense.

I still think it sucks that Damian won't be in future state, but at least he won't be subject to inconsistent writing thanks to all the changes.
    Last edited by Shen; 02-12-2021 at 02:38 AM.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Why do you keep saying we had a black Batman? David Zavimbe was Batwing, not Batman.

And according to the censuses taken, after Caucasians people of Hispanic descent are the majority. There's no route to go down, as black people are still underrepresented in media and have only just started to get representation in meaningful ways in the larger media (Compared to the obvious majority). Everybody knows this.

What's Arabs/Middle eastern people being on the "scant side" have to do with Jace Fox (Though if you're looking for representation, check out Summer Zahid in Teen Titans Academy)?Damian couldn't provide any of the same beats as Jace's Batman, Jace was created decades before him and created before all of the other Robins except for Dick, that's why he was chosen. Oh, yeah, and Damian is 13.
    Damian spent the first day of his teenage year (13) on Rebirth, and there's no Tim vs Damian battle on Rebirth and later era, unless you're talking about future BatTim a.k.a Savior. Any era before that, Damian is either 10 or 11, depends on before or after his death, because I remember there's mention that Damian died when he was 10 years old. (Red Robin comic is before his death, so he's 10. Robin War is after his death, so he's 11. If we assumed that the year he spent on hell is counted on his age).

Anyway, let's not turn it into fanwar, I like Tim too. To be truly honest, I don't care for representation, and I will not care for Damian if he was created only to fulfill "diversity quota". I like Damian because his story and characterization and I don't care for his race, his mother and father's race. It's perfectly fine if there's no Damian on Future State, I think. His build-up to 5G is awful, if his Future State will destroy everything I love about this character, it's better if he didn't exist on Future state at all. After all, Future State is just 2 month event. We still have Supersons and DCeased (even though I don't really like DCeased). We are on better place compared to, for example, Wallace. And Babs, I think (Is she already appear on Future State? Future State months means no reading comic months for me).

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Or maybe there is because here you are.

But we've had elseworlds where Damian was Batman, are Batman 666 and DCeased not a thing. Batman is not the be all end all for robin character's anyway. Damian's getting an ongoing solo series and that's what really matters. You're acting like DC is pushing Damian to the side for Jace like they haven't been promoting Damian for the past few months.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member

All of this doesn't matter at all, because there's always will be one true Batman and it's Bruce, and that's not gonna change, period.
    Regarding Future State, the only really annoying thing is that they claim about pushing new generation in this thing, and Damian is actually the first character in his generation, and despite that they prefered to cut him out. And they for some reason did not bother to give him a new identity, to show that he is acting alongside Jon and Yara. Even Jace, lol, it's actually would be pretty interesting to see them working together. His complete absence just doesn't feel right. This, of course, is not the worst, Flash Family and Teen Titans treatment there is generally complete ****.
    But otherwise, Damian has his own ongoing, which is promoted more than most titles from DC, lol, and is written by the author who builds Infinity Frontier. Therefore, I do not think that he will have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Shen View Post
    The age thing doesn't really matter - 10 or 13, Damian took him down. He's still a kid, and he doesn't have the phsyical capabilities of someone trained for around the same amount of time he was - also defeating the Brainy Robin in a battle of wits as a kid is very impressive.
    Although I am biased I guess, I find Tim deeply annoying.

Also, get where you're coming from, and DC is an American based company so they have to show some representation to African-American individuals in this new event that's bringing back older characters - so what better way than to use an older character of that race in a notable position like Batman whilst Bruce does his new Dark Douche hobby.

Perfect DC sense.

I still think it sucks that Damian won't be in future state, but at least he won't be subject to inconsistent writing thanks to all the changes.
    Nah, not what I meant. Damian being 13 means he never could've been made into Batman after the event ended.

But, uh, Damian has never beaten Tim Drake in a fair fight, by the way.

Astonishing Member

1613140499730.jpg
    ROBIN #2

Written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art and cover by GLEB MELNIKOV

Card stock variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

After the shocking events of Robin #1, Damian has learned the deadly rules of Lazarus Island the hard way! Now he must prove that he belongs in the tournament and uncover its secrets! But his only ally is the daughter of one of his greatest enemies: Ravager! In this tournament, only one fighter can get out alive -- ready for round two? Fight!

32 pages, $3.99 (card stock variant, $4.99), available on May 25.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Huh. He's drawn older. He actually looks 14

DC FESTIVAL OF HEROES: THE ASIAN SUPERHERO CELEBRATION #1

Written by GENE LUEN YANG, RAM V, GREG PAK, ALYSSA WONG, AMY CHU, MINH LE, DUSTIN NGUYEN, and others

Art by MARCUS TO, BERNARD CHANG, DUSTIN NGUYEN, MARCIO TAKARA, TRUNG LE NGUYEN, FRANCIS MANAPUL, and others

Cover by JIM LEE

Variant cover by STANLEY "ARTGERM" LAU

Grab your favorite boba and pull a chair up to the dim sum table as we celebrate Asian Heritage Month with all your favorite Asian DC characters, old and new! Join Cassandra Cain, Katana, Green Lantern Tai Pham, the Atom, Dana Tan (a.k.a. Batman Beyond), Red Arrow, Lady Shiva, Damian Wayne and the al Ghul clan, New Super-Man, and more as we present new tales of these characters from their thrilling history! Plus, Cheshire Cat's relationship to Cheshire is revealed as Shoes asks Selina Kyle to take her under her wing as Cat Girl. And that's just the start!

96 pages, $9.99, available on May 5

I'M SO EXCITED!

So DC finally acknowledged Damian's Asian and Arab heritages... now they just need to stop whitewashing him!

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm fine with that, given the time from Rebirth to now, the fact that a character like Aquaman has a baby who is now a couple months old, I would assume that Damian at this point has to be at least 14 nearly pushing 15.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Bruce missed yet another one of his birthdays
    Last edited by Astralabius; 02-12-2021 at 08:33 AM.