Page 40 of 259 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1&onlyE. View Post
    Hey, everyone! Reminder that Challenge of the Super Sons is back!

We need a show

This issue was pure gold. Totally worth the wait. God, I just love how much fun I have whenever I read this series.

Comet, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    This issue was pure gold. Totally worth the wait. God, I just love how much fun I have whenever I read this series.
    This series has been much better than the 2nd. I don't hear much buzz about it online. I hope fans are supporting it with their wallets and not taking it for granted.

I really want this to be a success, not just for the boys and their fans but for Tomasi. What happened to him? Is he writing anything for DC?

According to Walker they found out rather late that they were no longer on Tec which is a bad way to treat long standing writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Comet, is that you?
    In prep for the Superpets movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    This series has been much better than the 2nd. I don't hear much buzz about it online. I hope fans are supporting it with their wallets and not taking it for granted.

I really want this to be a success, not just for the boys and their fans but for Tomasi. What happened to him? Is he writing anything for DC?

According to Walker they found out rather late that they were no longer on Tec which is a bad way to treat long standing writers.
    I appreciate that they are on earth and are somewhat interacting with already established characters, even if they can't tell them why they are doing what they are doing.
    I like Jon and Damian interacting with the established DC universe more than some space adventure.

I don't know if Tomasi is writing anything for DC right now. I think he mentioned an upcoming announcement for a project with Brad Walker, but it wasn't clear if it was for DC or not.

Astonishing Member

It's not for DC, Tomasi said that besides Super Sons he's not doing anything for them anytime soon.

So, it seems Bendis will write Damian again. Joy. At least he's just a guest.

Why does Bendis keep using Damian? I don't get it. Ai least his role is reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It's not for DC, Tomasi said that besides Super Sons he's not doing anything for them anytime soon.
    Which is a shame although WB did say ages ago that they were going to be replacing their writers with new blood and people from Animation. Which tracks looking at all the new writers they have on roster.

Which is a shame although WB did say ages ago that they were going to be replacing their writers with new blood and people from Animation. Which tracks looking at all the new writers they have on roster.
    It is a shame and it does look like it was DC's/WB's decision.
    Even though I wouldn't have faulted Tomasi for having enough of DC.
    He's one of the few writers interested in building something instead of tearing it apart (Death of the family was Snyder's idea and the reason the batfamily was broken, not Damian's death) and all DC does is cancel his books so the next writer can break everything he built and not replace it with anything better.
    At least that's my impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    He's one of the few writers interested in building something instead of tearing it apart (Death of the family was Snyder's idea and the reason the batfamily was broken, not Damian's death) and all DC does is cancel his books so the next writer can break everything he built and not replace it with anything better.
    DC has screwed Tomasi too many times and I don't get it. The guy is a solid writer, has the sales and has created several beloved fanfav runs.

It just doesn't feel right the way things played out [according to Walker]

I hope he gets plenty of other offers

Why does Bendis keep using Damian? I don't get it. Ai least his role is reduced.
    I remember someone on this forum writing Bendis once said he feels like he's less restrained when writing Damian and can get away with certain things. I don't know there where they got it from though.

I don't agree with this take on Damian. Carelessness like this has lead to stories like Glass' Teen Titans run or Event Leviathan being as bad as they were. You can't just write Damian doing awful stuff like in Teen Titans and not bother to give him compelling and meaningful reasons for his actions.
    That's where the take "Damian is evil and incapable of learning" comes from.

You can't just make Damian accuse Jason of being Leviathan because they "both wear red masks and Jason is sad because Roy died". That's dumb and with Bendis' record of writing Damian feels like he's intentionally trying depict him as a bad detective.

Oh, and comparing someone to Hitler? No. Just. No.
    Last edited by Astralabius; 03-16-2021 at 11:44 AM.

I think it was WB's decision to take Tomasi and Walker from Detective Comics, but Brad said they knew it and that's just how mainstream comics work. No creative team lasts forever, even though he said they would stay more in there if they could.

But Tomasi not writing anything right now other than Super Sons I think is his own decision, tbh. It seems he will do a creator owned work now, which honestly you can't fault him for. Regarding DC, I do feel he was unsatisfied with some editorial decisions - like anyone that cares for Damian, including Joshua Williamson -, but I don't think DC would kick him out. It makes me really sad to don't see him in anything, but I respect his decisions as a creator.

I remember someone on this forum writing Bendis once said he feels like he's less restrained when writing Damian and can get away with certain things. I don't know there where they got it from though.

I don't agree with this take on Damian. Carelessness like this has lead to stories like Glass' Teen Titans run or Event Leviathan being as bad as they were. You can't just write Damian doing awful stuff like in Teen Titans and not bother to give him compelling and meaningful reasons for his actions.
    That's where the take "Damian is evil and incapable of learning" comes from.

You can't just make Damian accuse Jason of being Leviathan because they "both wear red masks and Jason is sad because Roy died". That's dumb and with Bendis' record of writing Damian feels like he's intentionally trying depict him as a bad detective.

Oh, and comparing someone to Hitler? No. Just. No.
    Around the time when bendis posted that tweet about damian being the 5th best Robin, He did mention the only pro to Damian being that he had less restraints. Which I took to mean Damian as a mouth piece for the author like we see Taylor do often Eg
    in Tec when Damian called Bruce out for collecting orphans and neglecting his kids.

Or in Injustice 2 where Damian calls Bruce out on his double standards and ego

Bendis hasn't don that ever with Damian though.

Agreed on the bad detective part. Bendis has Damian as part of the DCU detectives and then proceeds to write him being dumb. Just don't use him.

No Robin should be on that team
    Last edited by Fergus; 03-16-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Wonder if Marvel would be willing to let Tomasi write something like Young Avengers or Champions, or a new team for them. He seems to have a good handle on characters of a younger age and honestly they could use someone like him writing there. (At least they give writers time to wrap up their stories).