Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superheat View Post
    Because she's non white, other than that, she's great, can't wait for ironhearts tv show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    From what I've read of her, she's ok. I don't quite get the hate yet. Plus lots of characters go through rough patches.
    Pretty much. I mean, there were some parts of her characterization when Bendis was writing her that might have been "off" in one way or another, but like Mik said, a lot of characters --- especially newer ones --- can and do go through rough patches while the writers are trying to figure out who and what they want them to be. It's just that a lot of people were (understandably or rightfully) sore over how Tony ended up at the time and for that reason, among others (reasons that for some unfortunately included her race and gender, as superheat mentioned), weren't willing to give her a fair chance. Somewhat like another Bendis creation, Miles Morales, when he first debuted in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics as the new Spider-Man following Peter Parker's death in that reality, and how much backlash there was in the real world over his existence.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 04-30-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Pretty much. I mean, there were some parts of her characterization when Bendis was writing her that might have been "off" in one way or another, but like Mik said, a lot of characters --- especially newer ones --- can and do go through rough patches while the writers are trying to figure out who and what they want them to be. It's just that a lot of people were (understandably or rightfully) sore over how Tony ended up at the time and for that reason, among others (reasons that for some unfortunately included her race and gender, as superheat mentioned), weren't willing to give her a fair chance. Somewhat like another Bendis creation, Miles Morales, when he first debuted in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics as the new Spider-Man following Peter Parker's death in that reality, and how much backlash there was in the real world over his existence.
    Yeah. A lot of now popular White characters went through a lot of rough patches. I still don't get why some popular characters are around. And many are frequently mischaracterized, like in Civil War. But newer diverse characters need time to find their footing. Look how popular Miles is now!

Yeah. A lot of now popular White characters went through a lot of rough patches. I still don't get why some popular characters are around. And many are frequently mischaracterized, like in Civil War. But newer diverse characters need time to find their footing. Look how popular Miles is now!
    Uh-huh. My personal favorite, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), is almost infamous for the rough patches he went through as writers and editors (and fans) fought over how or whether he should be able to go forward as a character, and yet he's globally recognized as one of the greatest superhero characters of all time.

Ultimate Member

Uh-huh. My personal favorite, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), is almost infamous for the rough patches he went through as writers and editors (and fans) fought over how or whether he should be able to go forward as a character, and yet he's globally recognized as one of the greatest superhero characters of all time.
    Exactly. If they'd given up on him, where would we be now? And now he gets to pass thay legacy on. But while not every story for these newer characters is good, fans need to be patient

Exactly. If they'd given up on him, where would we be now? And now he gets to pass thay legacy on. But while not every story for these newer characters is good, fans need to be patient
    True enough. There's almost no such a thing as a bad character, just bad stories and/or bad execution, which I'd frankly hold more against the writers than I would the characters.

Ultimate Member

True enough. There's almost no such a thing as a bad character, just bad stories and/or bad execution, which I'd frankly hold more against the writers than I would the characters.
    Agreed. Hopefully her MCU version has a smoother introduction

I haven't read much Ironheart but I heard people didn't like her in the beginning. Why is that?
    Deadly combination of being black, a female, a new character, Bendis creation, apart of ANAD era Marvel, and the social climate at the time on social media.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Deadly combination of being black, a female, a new character, Bendis creation, apart of ANAD era Marvel, and the social climate at the time on social media.
    Absolutely this, lol. The only thing missing was that she wasn't an Inhuman.

Ultimate Member

Is the general perception of her improving now?

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Absolutely this, lol. The only thing missing was that she wasn't an Inhuman.
    Oh yeah, do people still hate Inhumans? I've never loved them but never quite got the hate either.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

The deciding for her to be Iron Man for a while made her introduction kind of weird. Should of had her be Ironheart from the jump.

Is the general perception of her improving now?

Oh yeah, do people still hate Inhumans? I've never loved them but never quite got the hate either.
    Yeah it's been improving since the Ewing series and Champions.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    The deciding for her to be Iron Man for a while made her introduction kind of weird. Should of had her be Ironheart from the jump.
    She never called herself Iron Man. Unlike DOOM who did. She called herself Iron Heart from the start and starred in the Iron Man book for what turned out to be two volumes.

Now in terms of story-it's questionable when we had Rhodey's niece running around. Someone who already had a link to Iron Man and could have donned a suit in memory of her uncle and Tony.

From what I've read of her, she's ok. I don't quite get the hate yet. Plus lots of characters go through rough patches.
    There is a difference between what someone like Peter or Tony or Bat God go through patches.

It's generally related to STORY.

Now for someone like Riri-STORY tends to get buried behind everything else.

As we KEEP seeing-the detractors only see a BLACK FEMALE and that is all they need to go off. Bendis being her creator just added MORE fuel. Especially attracting black creators who only see yet another white creation get accepted instead of their creation. Along with fans of the weather lady or the black man trapped in machine being upset that their favorite if being passed over yet again.

Who will do whatever to attract hate to the character. Like "Riri was made to replace Storm!" Yes that has made rounds.

Ultimate Member

Yeah it's been improving since the Ewing series and Champions.
    Ok

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    She never called herself Iron Man. Unlike DOOM who did. She called herself Iron Heart from the start and starred in the Iron Man book for what turned out to be two volumes.

Now in terms of story-it's questionable when we had Rhodey's niece running around. Someone who already had a link to Iron Man and could have donned a suit in memory of her uncle and Tony.

There is a difference between what someone like Peter or Tony or Bat God go through patches.

As we KEEP seeing-the detractors only see a BLACK FEMALE and that is all they need to go off. Bendis being her creator just added MORE fuel. Especially attracting black creators who only see yet another white creation get accepted instead of their creation. Along with fans of the weather lady or the black man trapped in machine being upset that their favorite if being passed over yet again.

Who will do whatever to attract hate to the character. Like "Riri was made to replace Storm!" Yes that has made rounds.
    Makes sense. It seems a lot of the controversy isn't focus on her actual storylines

How is she replacing Storm?

Pretty much this, especially the last part in reaction to everything else on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Yeah, as someone who knew Lila Rhodes existed from Rhodey's Iron Patriot miniseries, I was wondering why she never factored in with Rhodey's mourners after his death at the start of Civil War II, much less why she never appeared at any point afterwards. At the very least, she and Riri could make good friends, and it would have been a good way to tie Riri in with the overall Iron Man mythos. Everything else you said is on point, especially on the subject of "mainstream," already well-known comic book creators drawing attention away from black (and otherwise nonwhite) creators and the (understandable) resentment that would produce.

Ultimate Member

I can see why people would be bothered by Black creators not getting enough attention. That should be addressed.

But I don't see why she needs to be connected to Tony beforehand. I've seen some say Rhodey's niece could've been Ironheart, but Idk why that would've been better