Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I don't think they're going out of business though.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't think they're going out of business though.
    If you alienate your core fanbase enough without successfully cultivating another it is always possible. Keep in mind I'm talking about the weekly comics more so than other IP derivative products. Despite the popularity of the MCU the comics or floppies have not seen any growth in sales if anything they have continued their decades-long decline arguably accelerating
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    If you alienate your core fanbase enough without successfully cultivating another it is always possible. Keep in mind I'm talking about the weekly comics more so than other IP derivative products. Despite the popularity of the MCU the comics or floppies have not seen any growth in sales if anything they have continued their decades-long decline arguably accelerating
    Oh ok. Well, Idk about exact numbers, but I hope the fanbase broadens enough to keep going

Oh ok. Well, Idk about exact numbers, but I hope the fanbase broadens enough to keep going
    We all do but I think they are fighting a losing battle with Manga that seems to have the all-important youth market locked up: see my earlier post for why this is.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Sorry, this thought did not even occur to me when I typed those sentences. I'm accustomed to academia where we simply speak our mind as directly as possible about any given subject without coaching our language. I should have perhaps chosen a more diplomatic term when posting on a public forum.
    Fair point there, too. I can respect that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Fair point there, too. I can respect that.
    I'm glad you understand. I've come to respect you and value your opinions. I would hate to alienate you by way of an accident of language.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'm glad you understand. I've come to respect you and value your opinions. I would hate to alienate you by way of an accident of language.
    Likewise, and I mostly brought up the issue of "replace" as a loaded word in regards to a lot of the same tensions in comics fandom about who counts or doesn't as a "real fan" mirroring the tensions in real life about who gets to define who or what "American" is.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

We all do but I think they are fighting a losing battle with Manga that seems to have the all-important youth market locked up: see my earlier post for why this is.
    I didn't know that about manga. But isn't manga less diverse?

Maybe the movies, shows and games should advertise the comics

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Likewise, and I mostly brought up the issue of "replace" as a loaded word in regards to a lot of the same tensions in comics fandom about who counts or doesn't as a "real fan" mirroring the tensions in real life about who gets to define who or what "American" is.
    Indeed, take a look at Comic Book Youtube if you want a ghastly look up close at this development.

I didn't know that about manga. But isn't manga less diverse?

Maybe the movies, shows and games should advertise the comics
    Ah, diversity of ethnicity perhaps but not diversity of story. Manga in Japan doesn't have this problem to the same degree as comics do because it has long embraced genres (slice of life, coming of age, historical drama, so on and so forth) other than action & sci-fi.

Ultimate Member

Ah, diversity of ethnicity perhaps but not diversity of story. Manga in Japan doesn't have this problem to the same degree as comics do because it has long embraced genres (slice of life, coming of age, historical drama, so on and so forth) other than action & sci-fi.
    I see. Still, I hope Marvel, and other companies for that matter, figure out what to do

I see. Still, I hope Marvel, and other companies for that matter, figure out what to do
    So do we all. At the institution where I teach the amount of Manga (both digital and paper) the students read is insane, comic books not so much.

Ultimate Member

So do we all. At the institution where I teach the amount of Manga (both digital and paper) the students read is insane, comic books not so much.
    Is Marvel doing better in digital?

Is Marvel doing better in digital?
    In digital sales (from what I can gather) -

Better than Manga, no.

Better than other Comic Books, yes, but that's in all honesty a low bar these days.

PS Due to this being a character appreciation thread I feel we've said more than enough about sales. We should leave this thread to Riri fans (of whom I am one).
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-03-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Ultimate Member

In digital sales (from what I can gather) -

Better than Manga, no.

Better than other Comic Books, yes, but that's in all honesty a low bar these days.

PS Due to this being a character appreciation thread I feel we've said more than enough about sales. We should leave this thread to Riri fans (of whom I am one).
    Right, back to topic