Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    Simonson's run with vol 1 wasn't my favorite stretch, either, but I think you're off-base on the potential this has. That Apocalypse story line was terrific, stretching across numerous titles [not just the X-Men oriented books]. I'm definitely curious to see what she comes up with.

Also, I'd expect that if she has one shot to revisit something like this, it has to be epic. Otherwise, what's the point?
    That's the point. This stuff (epecially the X-factor bits) was so absurd to begin with, you really can't do anything with it,but maybe make it worse.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 10-19-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member

What shocks me about Simonson's run is how despite being the editor for New Mutants and the X-line she could still get crucial details wrong that a a child who wasn't old enough to read would get right, and now none of her editors caught those things. It wasn't like trying to keep track of all of Wolverine's appearances today. It was basic facts that everyone who was reading the books knew. Yes, I'm talking about the Magik killing Belasco thing again, because that is truly unforgivable for any writer to make such a huge blunder.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    That's the point. This stuff (epecially the X-factor bits) was so absurd to begin with, you really can't do anything with it,but maybe make it worse.
    It's a lousy point.

There were lots of good aspects to Louise Simonson's run, as well. There was a cool time travel story, Dani becoming a Valkyrie, the introduction of Cable, etc. So you're painting with a blind, broad brush.

There were also things I didn't enjoy about her time at the helm -- some of which you mention, such as Birdbrain.

But the point that apparently sailed over your head is that the story isn't going to focus on any of those plots -- rather, the only connection to that era is that it "stars" a snapshot-in-time version of the New Mutants. Which to me is pretty cool.

If you aren't interested in reading it, that's cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Simonson's run is highly underrated. I didnt care for the Asgard stuff. She gets unfairly judged for not being Claremont

I don't know if it's "unfair." There were parts of it that were good, and other parts that I didn't enjoy. Some of it was subtle, like the way she switched up some of the main characters' behavior. Examples relevant to this Dani-centric thread-- she portrayed Dani as being more of a stereotypical fluff teenager who was boy crazy and obsessed with makeovers. Also, I didn't "love" the changes to Dani's powers, either [although I think most writers outside of Claremont struggled with what to do with her power set, which was more abstract and didn't have directly straightforward battle application]. I also disliked some of the plots.

But by the same token, I don't expect any writer's run to be perfect. There were plenty of plots that Claremont penned that were also lame -- such as when they fought the character, "Axe." Or when he brought us "Team America" aka the Thunderriders.

When I was a kid, I didn't like Bill Sienkiewicz's art much. Through the lens of retrospect, it was a cool change from what every other comic looked like, and lent itself perfectly to the Demon Bear story or the initial appearance of Legion -- but back then I didn't like it. I appreciate it now, much later -- because it gets style points for being different and pushing the envelope stylistically.

That's kind of how I feel about Simonson's run. Liked it less than Claremont, didn't like many aspects of it, but feel nostalgic overall about Volume 1 in its entirety. So, I'm looking forward to seeing her story in January 2022.

Cool Dani variant cover for Marvel Voices, by Maria Wolf.

https://twitter.com/thewolfmaria/sta...36746446282761

FCkoXv-X0AQc6ln.jpg

Super slow around here. While we wait for the next issue of NM to drop, here's a list of the top badass female archers in comics -- guess who made the list:

shooting6.jpg

https://screenrant.com/hawkeye-kate-...s-comic-books/
    Last edited by rf2044; 11-10-2021 at 07:51 AM.

Apropos of the earlier discussion about the Simonson / Sienkiewicz era of New Mutants, I came across this CBR forum ranking the top comic story plots of all time. Demon Bear came in at #68.

Interesting thoughts on how Sienkiewicz's innovative art was the perfect abstract foil to deliver that story [and the subsequent appearance of Warlock]:

https://www.cbr.com/top-comic-book-storylines-68-65/

Demon bear.jpg dani crying1.jpg

Came across this article -- looks like Louise Simonson will return to the New Mutants to pen a "retro" story that will be punished in January 2022. Unlike the Claremont / New Mutants Forever limited series, which was not canon, it sounds like this WILL be.

The focus of the story will be a previously "untold" story that takes place somewhere between New Mutants Volume 1 #77 - 87. Here's the premise, from the article linked below:

"After losing Archangel to the X-Men, Apocalypse turns to the next generation of mutants to find his new Death. Along the way, Apocalypse's forces will come face-to-face with Sunspot, Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Dani Moonstar, Boom-Boom, Rictor and more.

X-Men Legends is an anthology series written / drawn by iconic creators of yesteryear, telling previously untold stories set in the midst of past arcs. This unique format allows writers to expand upon continuity by using the X-Men as they existed during their runs, resolving dropped plot points while cleaning up continuity.

As The New Mutants prepares to celebrate its 40th Anniversary in 2022, Simonson's untold tale allows her to wrap a bow around her legendary run."

Sounds like a really cool concept -- more details here:

https://www.gamesradar.com/x-men-leg...ris-claremont/

Attachment 114800
    Im curious about this X-MEN LEGENDS arc by Simonson for 2 reasons: Walt Simonson seems to be providing the artwork and DANI, as a Chooser of the Slain SHOULD be a shoe in for the role of DEATH that Apocalypse is seeking to fill.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Im curious about this X-MEN LEGENDS arc by Simonson for 2 reasons: Walt Simonson seems to be providing the artwork and DANI, as a Chooser of the Slain SHOULD be a shoe in for the role of DEATH that Apocalypse is seeking to fill.
    Umm...No. Even Simonson wasn't stupid enough to come up with something that damn awful, though what we wound up with up Dani was pretty damn close.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 11-19-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Umm...No. Even Simonson wasn't stupid enough to come up with something that damn awful, though what we wound up with up Dani was pretty damn close.

Everyone’s entitled to post dumb opinions once in a while, but you really abuse the privilege.

If you don't like the New Mutants or Dani, why post in a Dani-related thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

That Horseman / Apocalypse story arc was really cool, and crossed numerous comic series outside of just the X-Books. It will be interesting to see what they do with this greenfield opportunity to craft a canon story from that era.

Agree that Dani is the logical choice -- wonder if Simonson will throw a curveball.

horsemen1.jpg

Incredible Member

Everyone’s entitled to post dumb opinions once in a while, but you really abuse the privilege.

If you don't like the New Mutants or Dani, why post in a Dani-related thread?

I happen to like like the New Mutants or Dani,Simonson's run on it was as awful as it gets, I was one of those who cheered then and still does now when Leifield got her booted off the title and tried to clean up the royal mess she made of it.

Just too bad he didn't have Cable, Bridge and Co just kill off Rictor for being such a little prick.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 11-20-2021 at 04:09 PM.

I happen to like like the New Mutants or Dani,Simonson's run on it was as awful as it gets, I was one of those who cheered then and still does now when Leifield got her booted off the title and tried to clean up the royal mess she made of it.

Just too bad he didn't have Cable, Bridge and Co just kill off Rictor for being such a little prick.

Man, I just don't agree. Liefeld's run essentially ended the New Mutants, and replaced it with a completely different type of team. I've always viewed him taking over in retrospect as the "death knell" of a book I really cared about.

I hated that original incarnation of Cable -- the bulging muscles, awful 90s costume complete with pointless shoulder pads, strange hair, etc. -- although obviously the character grew on me as he got more interesting over time. But I hated to see TNM come to an end -- especially when they were replaced with a bunch of characters I couldn't have cared less about, like Feral.

Read this article about Liefeld awhile back that supports your opinion: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalk...h=1140995c2da0

But IMO as disappointed as I was with the last year or so of volume 1 -- felt rudderless -- I liked the direction Liefeld went from there even less. I totally get the appeal of shoot 'em up soldier anti-heroes, it just wasn't for me. Took awhile to "repair" the damage that both Simonson and Liefeld did. First in X-Force, just getting the gang back together, and then later in NM volume 2, to make the characters relevant again after a lengthy absence.
    Last edited by rf2044; 12-02-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Kind of a disappointing finish to what started off as an exciting year for Dani. Between the Claremont anniversary issue and the King in Black Valkyries series, things got off to a great start.

Hasn't been much conversation here the past few months, unfortunately. Not much to discuss, with the issues being so spread out. Oh well...

Guess I'll close the year with a couple of Dani pics:

face26.jpg

tumblr_90dd720f99dda2953d736d774186e6c4_7fa5fbdc_1280.jpg

moonstar_process_by_frnzhauser_d2tk9t9-fullview.jpg

Happy new year's, y'all -- here's to having more Dani / New Mutants stuff to discuss in 2022!