Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 251
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,444

    Default

    Lovely cover! Colors are beautiful.

    Happy to see Moonstar getting so much attention. Hopefully she continues this trajectory.

  2. #32
    Invincible Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    23,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    What's wrong with it? It's a heck lot better than most of artwork has been for New Mutants over the years.
    Dani's ugly there

  3. #33

  4. #34
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Dani's ugly there
    You haven't seen Bret Blevins work and the majority of those who followed him I take it?

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,480

    Default

    I can't see the aforementioned images of the cover to #17, is this it? I dig Christian Ward's style, Dani's bow looks a bit off though...

    https://comic-watch.com/news/news-wa...er-and-solicit

    Some pages of the Claremont Special are sampled over in the Carol Danvers forum. Can't say I'm a fan of the artwork. Especially for something that should have some prestige to it as a "Anniversary Special". Feels very "Fill-in" or "Try-out" artist...
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ion-2021/page3
    Last edited by Thirteen; 01-14-2021 at 01:33 AM.

  6. #36
    Spectacular Member rf2044's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Dani fans check out the Claremont special that came out today. I cant overstate how awesome it was as it was a solo showcase of Dani as lead across various key moments in Claremont's runs. I made a spoiler thread for it

    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...86#post5324986

    She truly shined and this was a great start to 2021


    I really enjoyed it -- cool story with a lot of Valkyrie symbolism.

    But I can understand why people were confused by it. The part with the Fantastic Four made no sense to me, given that there was no connection of any of those characters to the X-Men [well, Namor I guess]. Not sure what the point of that section was, why Claremont chose to include them in this story about Dani's trials, etc.

    But viewed through the lens of this being a developmental story for a young Dani, it was very enjoyable. I also wonder if the original timing of release [mid-December] was meant to have this story be out before the Shadow King showed up in New Mutants #14, to help set up that story.

  7. #37
    Invincible Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    23,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    You haven't seen Bret Blevins work and the majority of those who followed him I take it?
    what does that have to do with anything?

    Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    I really enjoyed it -- cool story with a lot of Valkyrie symbolism.

    But I can understand why people were confused by it. The part with the Fantastic Four made no sense to me, given that there was no connection of any of those characters to the X-Men [well, Namor I guess]. Not sure what the point of that section was, why Claremont chose to include them in this story about Dani's trials, etc.

    But viewed through the lens of this being a developmental story for a young Dani, it was very enjoyable. I also wonder if the original timing of release [mid-December] was meant to have this story be out before the Shadow King showed up in New Mutants #14, to help set up that story.
    Glad to see you enjoyed it and I wasnt the only one...lol. Its exciting to have a Dani special and so may good things to look forward to on the horizon

  8. #38
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    what does that have to do with anything?



    Weren't you the one complaing about ugly art?

  9. #39
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    I really enjoyed it -- cool story with a lot of Valkyrie symbolism.

    But I can understand why people were confused by it. The part with the Fantastic Four made no sense to me, given that there was no connection of any of those characters to the X-Men [well, Namor I guess]. Not sure what the point of that section was, why Claremont chose to include them in this story about Dani's trials, etc.

    But viewed through the lens of this being a developmental story for a young Dani, it was very enjoyable. I also wonder if the original timing of release [mid-December] was meant to have this story be out before the Shadow King showed up in New Mutants #14, to help set up that story.
    Was thinking the same thing. That would sort of explain the teasers for New Mutants #14 too.

  10. #40
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,810

    Default

    If they had to retcon Dani into having a history with the Shadow King to set up the current New Mutants plot then that's just bad writing. He already has a history with the New Mutants and doesn't need cheap retcons to make him relevant. But I doubt this'll be referenced at all in the current New Mutants arc or that Claremont was planning this out with Ayala.

  11. #41
    Spectacular Member rf2044's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    If they had to retcon Dani into having a history with the Shadow King to set up the current New Mutants plot then that's just bad writing. He already has a history with the New Mutants and doesn't need cheap retcons to make him relevant. But I doubt this'll be referenced at all in the current New Mutants arc or that Claremont was planning this out with Ayala.

    The purpose of the story wasn't to recon a history between Dani and the SK, but rather to establish Dani as the eternal champion of life ying to the Shadow King's destructive yang. It repositions Dani's role as a Valkyrie, and partially explains why Hela has taken such a decided interest in Dani over the years [given that this story was set at a much earlier point in Dani's life].

    What's been retconned is Dani's role as a Valkyrie -- and her accepting the eternal responsibility to combat the Shadow King as the champion of life. I think it would be very strange to have an encounter between them in the present -- with the SK now established as her eternal adversary, transcending even the mortal coil of Dani's eventual death -- and not have this be a factor in how their clash unfolds. If that's how it goes down, than the events of the Claremont special are no more meaningful than the plot of any given What If?
    Last edited by rf2044; 01-15-2021 at 09:38 AM.

  12. #42
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    The purpose of the story wasn't to recon a history between Dani and the SK, but rather to establish Dani as the eternal champion of life ying to the Shadow King's destructive yang. It repositions Dani's role as a Valkyrie, and partially explains why Hela has taken such a decided interest in Dani over the years [given that this story was set at a much earlier point in Dani's life].

    What's been retconned is Dani's role as a Valkyrie -- and her accepting the eternal responsibility to combat the Shadow King as the champion of life. I think it would be very strange to have an encounter between them in the present -- with the SK now established as her eternal adversary, transcending even the mortal coil of Dani's eventual death -- and not have this be a factor in how their clash unfolds. If that's how it goes down, than the events of the Claremont special are no more meaningful than the plot of any given What If?
    It could also a way to recon the Bear from being what was shown in the movie back to what was the original intent for it to be,whatever that was, furthering the separation of the comic book from the movie..

  13. #43
    Spectacular Member rf2044's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    It could also a way to recon the Bear from being what was shown in the movie back to what was the original intent for it to be,whatever that was, furthering the separation of the comic book from the movie..

    The movie has zero -- literally ZERO -- connection to the comics. No separation is necessary.

    The Demon Bear also did not factor into the Claremont Anniversary Special in any way, shape, or form -- so not sure what point you are trying to make.

  14. #44
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    The movie has zero -- literally ZERO -- connection to the comics. No separation is necessary.

    The Demon Bear also did not factor into the Claremont Anniversary Special in any way, shape, or form -- so not sure what point you are trying to make.
    Wasn't that the Demon Bear we know on page 29? You know,the thing with the glowing eyes,pointy teeth and claw behind Dani's back about to smash her into the dirt on the upper right-hand side of the page?
    Last edited by rcaguy; 01-17-2021 at 01:19 AM.

  15. #45
    Spectacular Member rf2044's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Wasn't that the Demon Bear we know on page 29? You know,the thing with the glowing eyes,pointy teeth and claw behind Dani's back about to smash her into the dirt on the upper right-hand side of the page?
    You mean the background image that had literally nothing to do with the rest of the story on the second to last page?

    Claiming that the Demon Bear had anything to do with the plot of the Claremont anniversary special, which it most decidedly did not, is a colossal reach at best.
    Last edited by rf2044; 01-17-2021 at 06:50 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •