Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The original and still the best version of Helena, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

From All-Star Comics #70 (January-February 1978)
    NOTE: This is from when Helena hadn't yet revealed her existence to the JSA.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Ordway and Gordon cover to COMIC READER 214, 1983.

ComicReader214.jpg

Incredible Member

The Comic Reader!!!

What a flashback. A really fun magazine back in the day.

Huntress on another COMIC READER cover looming over her Dad and Foster Brother.
    Sorry I can't make out the artist name on the cover.

comicreader202June82.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Huntress on another COMIC READER cover looming over her Dad and Foster Brother.
    Sorry I can't make out the artist name on the cover.

A quick Google search seems to indicate it was Rick Stasi.

Looks like a possible Helena Wayne sighting in Infinite Frontier #1, top right as Barry Allen is running through the multiverse.

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Looks like a possible Helena Wayne sighting in Infinite Frontier #1, top right as Barry Allen is running through the multiverse.

I doubt that's Helena Wayne.
    (Or at least not the one we use to read about.)

Looks more like a full cowl than Huntress' traditional mask, so may be more likely to be a Batgirl/Batwoman from an alternate universe / alternate Earth?

Okay this sounds like a bit of a stretch if you ask me. I mean I like Helena but it seems really odd to think she’s just missing because an old JSA villain made it so.

https://www.cbr.com/stargirl-per-deg...disappearance/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Barbara Joyce played HUNTRESS in the live action 70's specials, Legends of the Super Heroes.

BabaraJoyce.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But what "Helena Wayne" are we talking about?

The one from the New52's Earth 2 series?
    Some "Helena Wayne" from a possible future?
    A "Helena Wayne" from an alternate Earth / alternate universe?

And is she ever going to show up anywhere outside of Tom King's bizarre writings?
    She did show up. Last week. And you already knew that. She showed up in Infinite Frontier on Earth-2 in precisely the costume she wore in her origin story and every other appearance in the 70s and it wasn’t the ‘true’ version to you because the artist didn’t get her mask 100% right. (Or the colorist didn’t. It’s impossible to say.)

I’m not saying that King’s version or the New 52 version is this character. I’m only saying it will never be good enough for you unless it’s a reprint of a Joe Staton or Jerry Ordway drawing.

I’m glad to see this thread though. The original Helena Wayne is my all-time favorite comic character, which is why I was so excited to see her back in a comic book that came out less than a week ago. Pity you weren’t able to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    She did show up. Last week. And you already knew that.
    Actually, I don't know that.

I haven't had a chance to get to a comic book shop since back back in mid-May, so anything that's come out since then I have to rely on whatever I can find online or from discussions. As to what I've said about that one-panel appearance of a Bat-like woman: was there a label saying that was definitely "Earth-2" somewhere? Is that the what the artist and/or writer have been quoted as saying? Or is that just what people are assuming?

And even when it comes to Infinite Frontier, who knows if we're going to be dealing with wonky temporary time shifts or what not, so a character "returning" there may just be a temporary glitch in the time stream that will no longer be in continuity again when all is said and done.

Actually, I don't know that.

I haven't had a chance to get to a comic book shop since back back in mid-May, so anything that's come out since then I have to rely on whatever I can find online or from discussions. As to what I've said about that one-panel appearance of a Bat-like woman: was there a label saying that was definitely "Earth-2" somewhere? Is that the what the artist and/or writer have been quoted as saying? Or is that just what people are assuming?

And even when it comes to Infinite Frontier, who knows if we're going to be dealing with wonky temporary time shifts or what not, so a character "returning" there may just be a temporary glitch in the time stream that will no longer be in continuity again when all is said and done.
    My bad. I hadn’t realized you’d only seen the preview page which was unlettered.

It was captioned Earth-2. Those panels are each captioned with the earths we know the characters to belong to.

The mask is likely a coloring error. Looking closely one can see how that could have happened. But it’s unquestionably the Helena Wayne we know and love.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    . . . It was captioned Earth-2. Those panels are each captioned with the earths we know the characters to belong to.

The mask is likely a coloring error. Looking closely one can see how that could have happened. But it’s unquestionably the Helena Wayne we know and love.
    I guess now the question is what "Earth 2" is DC using. After all, there was the pre-CoIE version; the post-Infinite Crisis version which was similar to pre-CoIE but with some changes over time, like the "Justice Society Infinity"; and there was also the New 52+ version, all of which had Helena Waynes. Or could the "current" version of "Earth 2" be a mash-up of more than one previous version?

And didn't the New 52+ Helena Wayne claim she was going to take on the mantle of "Batman" at the end of Earth 2: Society? I thought that's what people said happened, but since I gave up on that series well before then, I can't say for sure.

I guess now the question is what "Earth 2" is DC using. After all, there was the pre-CoIE version; the post-Infinite Crisis version which was similar to pre-CoIE but with some changes over time, like the "Justice Society Infinity"; and there was also the New 52+ version, all of which had Helena Waynes. Or could the "current" version of "Earth 2" be a mash-up of more than one previous version?

And didn't the New 52+ Helena Wayne claim she was going to take on the mantle of "Batman" at the end of Earth 2: Society? I thought that's what people said happened, but since I gave up on that series well before then, I can't say for sure.
    Same old song. If you can’t look at an exact replica of the costume, and all of the other recent JSA stuff, without continuing to insist that the JSA will never really be back, this just isn’t worth it.

It’s the same conversation you had in the DC forum and I’ll tell you again what Cleghorn did there: read the damn books.