Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Outselling the Batman: Urban Legends issue that features the return and launches a new Batman Beyond series is bad news?

Batman Beyond series was canceled because it struggled to sell, and now this book is re-launched as a mini, not an ongoing, with hopes that it would sell better.
    Also, Urban legends 7 outsells I am Batman in Amazon.

And as mentioned here, take into consideration that issue #1 usually sells really really well, and then sales only decline from this point. Most ongoing titles don't get new readers.

If this series will sell less than Nightwing, Robin or Batgirls, Jace Fox would be in a real problem or even become a joke - the Batman of Gotham that is the least important character of the bat line.
    So that's bad news, yes.

Of course, it's possible that the title is selling tons of pyshical copies because it's issue #1, but online things don't look good for Jace.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Batman Beyond series was canceled because it struggled to sell, and now this book is re-launched as a mini, not an ongoing, with hopes that it would sell better.
    Also, Urban legends 7 outsells I am Batman in Amazon.

And as mentioned here, take into consideration that issue #1 usually sells really really well, and then sales only decline from this point. Most ongoing titles don't get new readers.

If this series will sell less than Nightwing, Robin or Batgirls, Jace Fox would be in a real problem or even become a joke - the Batman of Gotham that is the least important character of the bat line.
    So that's bad news, yes.

Of course, it's possible that the title is selling tons of pyshical copies because it's issue #1, but online things don't look good for Jace.
    It would be such a bad news for Jace if DC put him as a complete replacement, like they do it with Jon as Superman. At this point it's obvious, that their intention is to keep Jace co-exist with Bruce, with him being more local, street level hero, while Bruce will deal with more large scale threats, he's doing just that since New 52 anyway.
    His sells would be disaster if they would market him as the main Batman. They don't, so, I don't think that's a problem, a lot of titles sell bad. Selling worse than Dick or Damian doesn't make him a joke, they're iconic characters with huge fanbase, there shouldn't even be a comparison, they sell better than Superman and Wonder Woman at this point.

Extraordinary Member

Once the GP get word of Jace and that he exist they will not be able to get rid of him or diminish him

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It would be such a bad news for Jace if DC put him as a complete replacement, like they do it with Jon as Superman. At this point it's obvious, that their intention is to keep Jace co-exist with Bruce, with him being more local, street level hero, while Bruce will deal with more large scale threats, he's doing just that since New 52 anyway.
    His sells would be disaster if they would market him as the main Batman. They don't, so, I don't think that's a problem, a lot of titles sell bad. Selling worse than Dick or Damian doesn't make him a joke, they're iconic characters with huge fanbase, there shouldn't even be a comparison, they sell better than Superman and Wonder Woman at this point.
    That would have been true if Jace carried any other mantle but "Batman", but as long as Jace is labeled "Batman", he's expected to sell.
    Once he doesn't sell and he's one of the least meaningful players in Gotham, he has a problem.
    The Batman of Gotham can't be the least important bat book. If he's just a hero fighting crime, he can have a new name and a new mantle, but Batman is DC's best seller, and Jace needs to be able to carry his weight.
    If he can't sell and appeal to most readers, it's only a matter of time before he leaves or gets a new mantle.

I think the general public doesn't really care. There was already the media announcement, but other than Comic readers, no one saw Jace.
    Bruce is the iconic Batman with a new movie coming soon. If you're looking for replacements, there was already a Batman Beyond TV show with Terry as a Batman replacement. The new video game is featuring the Batfamily as Gotham's protectors and possible replacements.
    It's possible that Jace would get some adaptations, but right now it seems that most people aren't too excited about him.

Jace was supposed to be Bruce's replacement in a possible future when Damian is a villain and Dick is old. None of those things are happening anymore. The entire Batfamily is in Gotham, Bruce is still Batman, and if Bruce isn't replaced and there are already so many vigilantes in Gotham, then why do we really need another Batman?

Jace's sales is an interesting topic. When we did discover that there was going to be a replacement Batman, who would also be a POC, I'm sure a lot of people's kneejerk reactions were to reject the idea entirely and not even give it a chance, I won't even lie I also had the same reaction, though only because I didn't care to see Bruce replaced entirely which was the impression at the time due to the rumours of what 5G would be. Though obviously those original plans of 5G fell through so instead of those legacy heroes outright replacing the Originals they get to share the mantles, while that's translated to success for Jon Kent and Yara Flor( Who isn't WW yet but is doing well), though for some reason seemingly not Jace. Maybe it's because the Batman brand is more popular than Superman and Wonder-Woman so they can afford to take chances with the status quo and even afford shake ups, but when we're talking the flagship character of DC, I guess people are more apprehensive especially since unlike the other 2 members of the Trinity, he's been replaced more than once. I was hesitant to give Jace a chance but once I learned he wasn't replacing Bruce outright I gave him a shot and thoroughly enjoyed the books, though I doubt a lot of people who wrote him off are willing to give him that chance unfortunately, which is probably why his sales aren't what would be preferable. I like what they're doing with the status quo now it can benefit Bruce and Jace, I feel Bruce at this moment in time can use a change in status quo instead of the usual Battle for the fate of Gotham every year, so having him globetrotting would freshen things up while allowing Jace to establish himself as the lone Batman of Gotham. Though the big question is how do you translate that to success for Jace, and I'm not entirely sure. You can look at Miles Morales, probably the most successful legacy character of the last 20 years, it took time for him get the success he did, though some of that can be attributed to starring in a great movie and game, and I'm not sure Jace will be granted that opportunity if he maintains mediocre sales, DC could cut their losses. I hope that isn't the the case, but it's definitely a concerning possibility.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Jace's sales is an interesting topic. When we did discover that there was going to be a replacement Batman, who would also be a POC, I'm sure a lot of people's kneejerk reactions were to reject the idea entirely and not even give it a chance, I won't even lie I also had the same reaction, though only because I didn't care to see Bruce replaced entirely which was the impression at the time due to the rumours of what 5G would be. Though obviously those original plans of 5G fell through so instead of those legacy heroes outright replacing the Originals they get to share the mantles, while that's translated to success for Jon Kent and Yara Flor( Who isn't WW yet but is doing well), though for some reason seemingly not Jace. Maybe it's because the Batman brand is more popular than Superman and Wonder-Woman so they can afford to take chances with the status quo and even afford shake ups, but when we're talking the flagship character of DC, I guess people are more apprehensive especially since unlike the other 2 members of the Trinity, he's been replaced more than once. I was hesitant to give Jace a chance but once I learned he wasn't replacing Bruce outright I gave him a shot and thoroughly enjoyed the books, though I doubt a lot of people who wrote him off are willing to give him that chance unfortunately, which is probably why his sales aren't what would be preferable. I like what they're doing with the status quo now it can benefit Bruce and Jace, I feel Bruce at this moment in time can use a change in status quo instead of the usual Battle for the fate of Gotham every year, so having him globetrotting would freshen things up while allowing Jace to establish himself as the lone Batman of Gotham. Though the big question is how do you translate that to success for Jace, and I'm not entirely sure. You can look at Miles Morales, probably the most successful legacy character of the last 20 years, it took time for him get the success he did, though some of that can be attributed to starring in a great movie and game, and I'm not sure Jace will be granted that opportunity if he maintains mediocre sales, DC could cut their losses. I hope that isn't the the case, but it's definitely a concerning possibility.
    But Jace isn't the lone Batman of Gotham. In a setting of a sole hero in a corrupted city, he could be interesting. But Jace is actually the least experienced Bat-character in Gotham right now, surrounded by 2 Batgirls, Signal, Robin Tim, Oracle, and Nightwing, who was literally Batman.
    In this setting, and since he's not the head of the batfamily or the sole protector of Gotham, his options to shine are much more limited. And that's the main problem, as long as the batfamily is there, Jace isn't the main character in Gotham.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    But Jace isn't the lone Batman of Gotham. In a setting of a sole hero in a corrupted city, he could be interesting. But Jace is actually the least experienced Bat-character in Gotham right now, surrounded by 2 Batgirls, Signal, Robin Tim, Oracle, and Nightwing, who was literally Batman.
    In this setting, and since he's not the head of the batfamily or the sole protector of Gotham, his options to shine are much more limited. And that's the main problem, as long as the batfamily is there, Jace isn't the main character in Gotham.
    Being the main character of Gotham = being Batman
    Yes it does, the family doesn’t know him or are organized around him but so what.

That trust takes time to build and will depend on his relationship with Dick in the future.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Being the main character of Gotham = being Batman
    Yes it does, the family doesn’t know him or are organized around him but so what.

That trust takes time to build and will depend on his relationship with Dick in the future.
    I agree that being the main character in Gotham is quite equivalent to being Batman. But Jace isn't the main character in Gotham. Based on the solicitations he's still dealing with the magistrate aftermath (a threat that is mostly ended by the end of feat state), while the batfamily are dealing with Arkham.
    His story seems to be very isolated and not too important in the general scheme of things, while the batfamily are all working together in Tec'.
    So unless things start to change (for example, he becomes the lead of Tec'), the direction he's heading and his sales aren't promising.

Again, I'm not against Jace. I think that he can work really well as an elseworld story, where he can really be the hero that saves the city.

I think you're being too quick to try and say he has bad sales. There's still the vast amount of floppies he could have potentially sold, and I still don't see how outselling Batman Beyond's big return is a bad feat.

I don't really see him being adapted in anything in media where they don't make him Batman. There are already so many members of the Bat-Family, it's not like Spider-Man where Miles was one of the first big "important" Spider-Man family guys.
    I'd say that was more Ben Reilly and Kaine of anyone, but that's besides the point of the non-existent Spider-Family .

I mean, yeah, there isn't much point of adapting him if he's not Batman which makes it difficult. Luke would probably be more likely used between the two of them.

Extraordinary Member

and I still don't see how outselling Batman Beyond's big return is a bad feat.
    Mostly because that return doesn't really feel that big.
    I might be wrong but I don't have the feeling that there was much excitement or anticipation for it.

But i think were really have to wait for till we see physical sales (and very likely the ones of the 3 issues or so), to judge if he is a success.

Based on what we see with digital sales, it looks to me like it is neither a massive successes nor a complete disaster.

How are you able to know the digital sales? How do I find them?
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post
    How are you able to know the digital sales? How do I find them?
    By looking at the besseller list at comixology.com, but there is a lot of guess work involved.

It shifted again. It sold better than The Joker #7.

Incredible Member

It shifted again. It sold better than The Joker #7.
    It's not a very big sample, but I am Batman wasn't among the 10 best-selling books of the week in Bleeding Cool.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/x-me...stseller-list/

It still doesn't mean anything about the actual sales in all stores, but together with mediocre digital sales, it doesn't look like the book is a big success so far (and again, take into account that usually sales plunge between issues #1 and #2, and stabilize only after a couple of issues).
    Last edited by Lal; 09-20-2021 at 12:32 AM.