Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I mean, sales will determine that ;-). I'm guessing I Am Batman will end up being a limited series.
    That's not how it works. A book being an ongoing is determined before its first issue releases. I Am Batman has already been confirmed to be an ongoing.

I mean, sales will determine that ;-). I'm guessing I Am Batman will end up being a limited series.
    that's....not how that works. for one, if a series is a limited series it's has a set number of books that usually featured on the cover and/or the solicits (book 1 or 6, book 1 of 12, etc.). if a book sales isn't there and the book is stopped, that's just an on-going that was canceled.

weird flex tho...
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    that's....not how that works. for one, if a series is a limited series it's has a set number of books that usually featured on the cover and/or the solicits (book 1 or 6, book 1 of 12, etc.). if a book sales isn't there and the book is stopped, that's just an on-going that was canceled.

weird flex tho...
    A Batman book being canceled because of sales is very much outside of the norm so I don't know what type of Batman books this guy has been reading...
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 06-21-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    That's not how it works. A book being an ongoing is determined before its first issue releases. I Am Batman has already been confirmed to be an ongoing.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Yeah, I know that. See the winky smiley face from the original post. The point is this series is in danger of being "limited" before 12 issues, I'm guessing.

Yeah, I know that. See the winky smiley face from the original post. The point is this series is in danger of being "limited" before 12 issues, I'm guessing.
    oh, I understood the implication, but what you said was so...weirdly put that I wasn't sure if you were being condescending and ignorant or simply weirdly condescending. either way, weird flex.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Why would a Batman book drawn by Olivier Coipel be in danger of being canceled?

Incredible Member

Batman books do get canceled, or at least not continuing or rebooting.
    Just this year we had Batman beyond and Batman & the Outsiders that are no longer ongoing (the latter would probably relaunch with a different cast, possibly as a mini), and now Batman/superman was also canceled.
    So it's not unheard of.

However, it seems that DC is trying very, very hard to push Jace's new series (probably because his last series gets medicare sales, and it's only issue 2).
    So they are launching his new series as part of a big event and trying to use rare variants as an incentive for stores to buy many regular copies to get the cool variants.
    They probably hope that stores would try to push Jace's book to customers.
    It's a valid technique, and as long as the event runs, Jace's series would probably get decent sales. But once it's over? The question is how well he's received.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Why would a Batman book drawn by Olivier Coipel be in danger of being canceled?
    Alas a Batman book co-starring Superman and drawn by Reis got cancelled, so there’s no reason this will be any exception if the sales aren’t there. Honestly I’m kind of surprised at how little attention a black Batman has been getting and I think part of it has to do with how Bruce isn’t going anywhere and Bruce will still be the main version showing up everywhere else. Jace and Jon are in odd spots because DC is pushing them heavily in the comics, but Bruce isn’t ceding his spot elsewhere in outside media adaptions, and Clark likewise isn’t going to be giving up his spot for Jon. Given these comics are basically IP farms for media adaptions I do wonder how long DC will commit to them.

For now I’ve been enjoying Ridley and I have plenty of Bruce Batman content elsewhere, so I’m fine with following along until I get bored or Ridley is done.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Alas a Batman book co-starring Superman and drawn by Reis got cancelled, so there’s no reason this will be any exception if the sales aren’t there. Honestly I’m kind of surprised at how little attention a black Batman has been getting and I think part of it has to do with how Bruce isn’t going anywhere and Bruce will still be the main version showing up everywhere else. Jace and Jon are in odd spots because DC is pushing them heavily in the comics, but Bruce isn’t ceding his spot elsewhere in outside media adaptions, and Clark likewise isn’t going to be giving up his spot for Jon. Given these comics are basically IP farms for media adaptions I do wonder how long DC will commit to them.

For now I’ve been enjoying Ridley and I have plenty of Bruce Batman content elsewhere, so I’m fine with following along until I get bored or Ridley is done.
    Jace got a good amount of attention when he was first revealed as Batman, we're just in this middle period where he's been relegated to Digital First. There's not much to talk about when a series has already concluded. I'd say for Jon, though, he's not getting talked about much at all. We have to wait for their series to come out.

Incredible Member

In addition to the points above, I'd add that it doesn't feel like enough time has passed since Snyder's Duke Thomas push and prior to that David Zavimbe and Jace's own brother being Batwing. I would not have made the choice to have the new black Batman be yet another Fox family member and brother of Batwing. It feels too familiar and claustrophobic.

What the higher-ups should've mandated was the creation of black Joker instead. The thing that DC and Marvel are missing is that villains are often much more compelling than heroes. In The Dark Knight movie, Christian Bale outright stated that Heath Ledger was doing more interesting things than Bale was. DC and Marvel deciding to race-or-gender-bend/swap only the hero characters is so limiting and stupid.

With black Joker, I wouldn't give him his own book right away, of course. But he would make several appearances in the other Bat-books, causing Joker-style chaos in each one. Black Joker will be indiscriminate with his crimes, attacking and robbing both villains and heroes; his push will be similar to how the WWE pushed The Shield when they first appeared on the scene. And black Joker's calling card would be different from Joker gas (I haven't had my coffee yet and might fill in what that might be after). Black Joker's name and identity would be a secret for at least a year of issues, maybe forever if we want to go full Joker. The first meeting between white Joker and black Joker will be epic with variant covers and a signal that this should be collected. How that meeting goes, you guys can decide, but I'm thinking they both try to backstab and kill each other, after which they both respect each other more and might even team up one day against Batman.

Incredible Member

Also villains tend to be push-too-hard-proof. Remember all the complaints about how Duke Thomas was getting shoved down our throats? With villains, they're allowed to come fresh on the scene and show amazing feats. Bane wasn't around that long before he "broke the bat."

Landis pitched a Black Joker for his American Alien universe. I'd be down for it but I wouldn't wanna give Tim too many legacy villians. I rather create new ones like what Tamaki is doing in her Detective Comics run.

The bat trio in Titans Academy are my new favorite characters. I'd have them be apart of Jace's bat family.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-22-2021 at 11:14 AM.

In addition to the points above, I'd add that it doesn't feel like enough time has passed since Snyder's Duke Thomas push and prior to that David Zavimbe and Jace's own brother being Batwing. I would not have made the choice to have the new black Batman be yet another Fox family member and brother of Batwing. It feels too familiar and claustrophobic.

What the higher-ups should've mandated was the creation of black Joker instead. The thing that DC and Marvel are missing is that villains are often much more compelling than heroes. In The Dark Knight movie, Christian Bale outright stated that Heath Ledger was doing more interesting things than Bale was. DC and Marvel deciding to race-or-gender-bend/swap only the hero characters is so limiting and stupid.

With black Joker, I wouldn't give him his own book right away, of course. But he would make several appearances in the other Bat-books, causing Joker-style chaos in each one. Black Joker will be indiscriminate with his crimes, attacking and robbing both villains and heroes; his push will be similar to how the WWE pushed The Shield when they first appeared on the scene. And black Joker's calling card would be different from Joker gas (I haven't had my coffee yet and might fill in what that might be after). Black Joker's name and identity would be a secret for at least a year of issues, maybe forever if we want to go full Joker. The first meeting between white Joker and black Joker will be epic with variant covers and a signal that this should be collected. How that meeting goes, you guys can decide, but I'm thinking they both try to backstab and kill each other, after which they both respect each other more and might even team up one day against Batman.
    What is this? I don't think any of your points are correct, but this "black Joker" thing... The point of Infinite Frontier was to give all the Trinity new successors. That makes no sense.

And it's been 3 years since Duke Thomas' series, it's definitely time to introduce a new Batman. His race has nothing to do with it, though. That's like saying they can't introduce a new white character to the Superman mythos because we just got Jon or something.
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 06-22-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Landis pitched a Black Joker for his American Alien universe. I'd be down for it but I wouldn't wanna give Tim too many legacy villians. I rather create new ones like what Tamaki is doing in her Detective Comics run.

The bat trio in Titans Academy are my new favorite characters. I'd have them be apart of Jace's bat family.
    Oh, I'd prefer DC and Marvel create brand new, diverse characters, too.

I'm just saying if you *must* race-or-gender-bend/swap/replace existing characters, try some of the villains. You'll probably have more success with that.

Oh, I'd prefer DC and Marvel create brand new, diverse characters, too.

I'm just saying if you *must* race-or-gender-bend/swap/replace existing characters, try some of the villains. You'll probably have more success with that.
    Okay, dude, it's obvious the rhetoric you're coming in here with. If you want to see brand new characters, go read The Flash with Wally West. Or Infinite Frontier with Barry Allen. When's that Blue Beetle and Booster Gold series come out again? Ted Kord's pretty original. Oh, yeah, and there's Robin too. Damian's the first to ever do it!