Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

I remember not liking Luke Batwing run, but really enjoying DAVID ZAVIMBE run.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Having read Ridley's work in The Other History of the DC Universe, Superman: Red & Blue, and the John Stewart/Fatality valentines story, not really. Ridley has kind of shown himself to be one of those writers who if something happened to a character in a story, no matter how weird or outlandish, then that happened and he will use it as part of the characters history that will inform the character as they are now in the story he is telling.

-Superman in a weird 70's story got captured and put in a work camp? That was a story so that happened so it informs a political story of Clark speaking with his abuser
    -John Stewart dated Fatality and found out it wasn't of her free will? That was a story so it happened and will go into a story of John saving Fatality and arguing for free will
    -Batwing's best friend teamed up with Ratcatcher and poisoned his sister? That was a story so it happened and will go into his story of impacting the fox family.
    i.e. he's aware of the medium he's writing in and writes accordingly; what a concept! seriously tho, why is it so rare for writers to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't it Luke's only Batwing run though? So it's kind of important from that respect.
    I think they meant it's surprising considering how often writers use a character and essentially write them like they're the first person to write the character. especially with smaller and/or newer characters like Luke.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-17-2021 at 01:54 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    i.e. he's aware of the medium he's writing in and writes accordingly; what a concept! seriously tho, why is it so rare for writers to do this?
    Probably has to do with the differing stances on continuity and how much an individual writer/etc. wishes to adhere to it. Those who enjoy, love, or at least respect continuity in general are more likely to acknowledge and weave it into any new stories made. Those who do not care for continuity, for example because of how too much of it can become a weight rather than a boon or because they have their own strong visions of how things should be that are incongruous to prior portrayals, will either keep elements of continuity to a minimum, cherry-pick in a way that feels more obvious that they did (as opposed to the cherry-picked elements feeling organically relevant and natural to have been incorporated, which more skilled writers/etc. are capable of doing even if they don't care for continuity in general), or forego it altogether.

Results, quality, and overall personal enjoyment vary, just as stances and opinions do. I can definitely see both sides, even if I've become gradually more cognizant and critical of those who choose to ignore or cheery-pick around the relevant, cool, and/or otherwise valid continuity aspects from the more marginalized characters I've come to love and be attached to in comics.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 03-17-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Probably has to do with the differing stances on continuity and how much an individual writer/etc. wishes to adhere to it. Those who enjoy, love, or at least respect continuity in general are more likely to acknowledge and weave it into any new stories made. Those who do not care for continuity, for example because of how too much of it can become a weight rather than a boon or because they have their own strong visions of how these should be that are incongruous to prior portrayals, will either keep elements of continuity to a minimum, cherry-pick in a way that feels more obvious that they did (as opposed to the cherry-picked elements feeling organically relevant and natural to have been incorporated, which more skilled writers/etc. are capable of doing even if they don't care for continuity in general), or forego it altogether.

Results, quality, and overall personal enjoyment vary, just as stances and opinions do. I can definitely see both sides, even if I've become gradually more cognizant and critical of those who choose to ignore or cheery-pick around the relevant, cool, and/or otherwise valid continuity aspects from the more marginalized characters I've come to love and be attached to in comics.
    I can get it but at the end of the day if you wanna do your own thing free of others work then don't come to mainstream comics. just earn your clout on your own merit with your own work. however if you sign up to work in a shared universe, with it's own rules and history, then you need to always be respectful of that imo. it's one thing if editorial or one of the big clouted out creatives change something elsewhere that undercuts what you're doing or if you are ignoring something that is egregiously problematic, sometimes continuity can get messy and frustrating (I get that), but don't box if you're scared of getting hit, ya dig?

I hate when comic creators get these characters and for no reason act like they're the first guy to write them because: a) often times it's characters of color and/or new characters that get their development derailed from that & b) with the internet there is 0 excuses why you can't keep up with the changes in continuity in real time. to me it's a sign of a hack if you can't respect the rules, the tropes, and conventions of the medium you are in. it just demonstrates to me that either they erroneously must believe they're god's gift to the medium or they simply don't really get the medium.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Having read Ridley's work in The Other History of the DC Universe, Superman: Red & Blue, and the John Stewart/Fatality valentines story, not really. Ridley has kind of shown himself to be one of those writers who if something happened to a character in a story, no matter how weird or outlandish, then that happened and he will use it as part of the characters history that will inform the character as they are now in the story he is telling.

-Superman in a weird 70's story got captured and put in a work camp? That was a story so that happened so it informs a political story of Clark speaking with his abuser
    -John Stewart dated Fatality and found out it wasn't of her free will? That was a story so it happened and will go into a story of John saving Fatality and arguing for free will
    -Batwing's best friend teamed up with Ratcatcher and poisoned his sister? That was a story so it happened and will go into his story of impacting the fox family.
    Ridley is definitely similar to Morrison in that the broad strokes of “everything happened” is how they view comic book characters. No surprise that I really like Ridley and he’s becoming one of my favorite writers at DC.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I can get it but at the end of the day if you wanna do your own thing free of others work then don't come to mainstream comics. just earn your clout on your own merit with your own work. however if you sign up to work in a shared universe, with it's own rules and history, then you need to always be respectful of that imo. it's one thing if editorial or one of the big clouted out creatives change something elsewhere that undercuts what you're doing or if you are ignoring something that is egregiously problematic, sometimes continuity can get messy and frustrating (I get that), but don't box if you're scared of getting hit, ya dig?

I hate when comic creators get these characters and for no reason act like they're the first guy to write them because: a) often times it's characters of color and/or new characters that get their development derailed from that & b) with the internet there is 0 excuses why you can't keep up with the changes in continuity in real time. to me it's a sign of a hack if you can't respect the rules, the tropes, and conventions of the medium you are in. it just demonstrates to me that either they erroneously must believe they're god's gift to the medium or they simply don't really get the medium.
    The bolded is what I was referring to in my last sentence about becoming more critical of what we're discussing. It happened with Jason Rusch, who got character assassinated from his awesome early New 52 self. Then Cyborg, after Walker's and then Semper's runs. Then Duke, via Hill. (There are definitely more, but these are the 3 that have stuck with me and made me alert to the trend of it happening to the marginalized comic book characters that catch my attention and affection.)

Interesting to see that Ridley is expanding beyond just Jace, because in June Ridley is writing a backup story in detective comics detailing when Lucius Fox first started getting drawn into the Batman business.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

We finally have a new Riddley interview about second son! https://www.gamesradar.com/next-batm...e-john-ridley/

Something that really grabbed me is this quote: "I will say that there is a character showing up who I hope is very beloved in the DC universe. A character that I think is one of the really interesting characters in the DC universe. He, she, or they is a great character. I think underutilized. I could not be more excited to have this character come in and they will be very pivotal in explaining Jace's past. How Jace might have any capacity to potentially put the cowl on.

I think that when this character shows up it really helps indicate where Jace is going to fit in the larger DC Universe, and the kinds of characters that already exist in the DC universe that if there is more of Jace, the kinds of characters that you might see."

Wonder who that will be?!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    We finally have a new Riddley interview about second son! https://www.gamesradar.com/next-batm...e-john-ridley/

Something that really grabbed me is this quote: "I will say that there is a character showing up who I hope is very beloved in the DC universe. A character that I think is one of the really interesting characters in the DC universe. He, she, or they is a great character. I think underutilized. I could not be more excited to have this character come in and they will be very pivotal in explaining Jace's past. How Jace might have any capacity to potentially put the cowl on.

I think that when this character shows up it really helps indicate where Jace is going to fit in the larger DC Universe, and the kinds of characters that already exist in the DC universe that if there is more of Jace, the kinds of characters that you might see."

Wonder who that will be?!
    Big tease indeed! Like I you, I wonder who Ridley is referring to.

Im super enjoying Second Son!

I very much wonder who that character is! Anyone brave enough to make a completely baseless guess!

Reckon we eventually see a Jace, Luke and Tiffany team up all in costume!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post

I very much wonder who that character is! Anyone brave enough to make a completely baseless guess!

Bloodwynd
    Slam Bradley
    Deacon Blackfire
    The Terrible Trio
    Looker
    Metamorpho
    Technocrat and Wylde
    Sebastian Faust
    Onyx
    Creeper
    King Faraday
    Nemesis
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-24-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post

I hope so.

I think that Tiffany will eventually play an important role in bringing her two brothers together.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I hope so.

I think that Tiffany will eventually play an important role in bringing her two brothers together.
    Honestly yeah, seeing as how Ridley thinks she should be Jace’s sidekick and she flat out knows that Luke is Batwing, wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case with Jace when he becomes Batman
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm hoping Tiffany gets a look based off the Telltale games. Plus her own name because her becoming Robin VI is meh.

I read issue 5 and thought it was fun. If Tim's last name wasn't Fox I would've made that his superhero name. He reminds me of a fox.

Tamaki's work in Dark Detective and Detective Comics made me think she could've been a good fit for Tim.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-25-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Was it announced how many issues Second Son is going to have?