Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know here’s the thing and I can’t believe I’m saying this but I think we’re just being to critical of Luke because this story is Jace’s perspective, but even Jace recognizes his own faults from when he was younger.

I mean think about all that happened now that we have full context, it basically boils down to that before Jace’s birthday incident there were already signs of marital issues between Tanya and Lucius with Lucius not being home and then Luke’s older brother killed someone by accident forcing the family to cover it up and then send him away which probably put a strain on the family relationship even further. Not to mention what that must have done to Luke to probably have his actions put under a microscope for the actions of his older brother, because as a middle child myself let me tell you even if you didn’t do anything your parents can find a way to drag you into it to make sure you learned the lesson as well. Imagine what dealing with a decade of that must have been for Luke only for the one who caused and has been out of his life for so long to finally come back.

Luke is not an unsympathetic monster, the guy just has some probably legitimate family issues he hasn’t processed cleanly yet because he’s never gotten the chance to actually deal with them with Jace and probably Lucius as well. Not to mention it’s no doubt exacerbated by the fact he’s keeping a double life as Batwing.
    This. All of this. And I thank you for putting it into words and doing it so well.

It can be far too easy to demonize someone when the perspective used to approach them doesn't leave room for empathy, reason, and understanding.

The part of about Lucius being hard on Luke matches pitch-perfect with how Luke and Lucius's relationship was generally portrayed during his solo. Basically, Luke enjoyed his "me time" being a globe-trotting MMA fighter to go along with his prestigious degrees and acumen in his field as a mechanical engineer, in spite of the pressure to live up to Lucius's expectations as the heir apparent, so to speak. This story simply adds context to the why. Thanks to Second Son's additions, we now know that it wasn't just a generic "you gotta do everything perfect" Black Education Dad narrative. It was deeper. We now know that Lucius's pressuring of Luke was due to the trauma from the whole situation with Jace. And with this context, it makes all the sense in the world that Luke would hold a grudge against Jace. That type of pressure-fueled resentment isn't something you can just brush aside. And like you say, the stress and anxiety just adds when you factor Luke's double-life as Batwing.

Extraordinary Member

I Am Batman #0 – The age of a new Dark Knight begins! On August 10, picking up immediately from the events of The Next Batman: Second Son, Jace Fox begins the march toward his destiny when he fights to protect Alleytown against the oppressive forces of the Magistrate, using Batman armor and tech he’s found in Bruce Wayne’s old base of operations, the Hibernaculum!

• Written by John Ridley
    • Art and Main Cover by Travel Foreman
    • Card Stock Variant cover by Dave Wilkins
    • Card Stock Variant cover by Derrick Chew
    • Card Stock 1:25 Variant cover by Riccardo Federici
    • 40 Pages; $4.99 ($5.99 card stock variant cover)
    • On Sale Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Extraordinary Member

I Am Batman #0 Cover by Dave Wilkins

I Am Batman #0 Cover by Derrick Chew

I Am Batman #0 Cover by Riccardo Federici

Honestly I don't mind the Fox's family depiction outside of Tanya. Tanya's the hardest to support because the Magistrate is coded as a fascist threat. Her reasons for supporting the Magistrate are sympathetic but supporting fascists is more of a no-no to me. I loved Flawed characters but fascism is where I draw the line.

I'll pick up I am Batman issue zero.

Honestly I think Future State would've been better off as a retool for the Earth One Graphic Novel. Having Ridley commit to a OGN is probably more efficient than a monthly comic.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-19-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'm intrigued

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I Am Batman #0 Cover by Dave Wilkins

I Am Batman #0 Cover by Derrick Chew

I Am Batman #0 Cover by Riccardo Federici

I love all the covers, but the top-most one has Jace looking especially powerful and majestic, which is just how folks like their Black Superheroes looking.

I am so glad we won't have to wait more than two months or so before Ridley's story with Jace continues! And I'm also glad that Ridley is seeing the success he seems to be, getting what seems to be an immediate ongoing series continuation.

EDIT: And I wanna add how much I love the unapologetic title!
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 05-20-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I love all the covers, but the top-most one has Jace looking especially powerful and majestic, which just how folks like their Black Superheroes looking.

I am so glad we won't have to wait more than two months or so before Ridley's story with Jace continues! And I'm also glad that Ridley is seeing the success he seems to be, getting what seems to be an immediate ongoing series continuation.

Yeah, the title is great by itself, in a very "Duck it, I AM Batman" way. Love it !

I love all the covers, but the top-most one has Jace looking especially powerful and majestic, which is just how folks like their Black Superheroes looking.

And Ridley is taking over Black Panther as well!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And Ridley is taking over Black Panther as well!
    Dude seems to be living it right now in comic book world.

Extraordinary Member

I'm a little bit confused by the realtive ages of the Fox Kids, in Second Son it is said that Tim is older than Luke but also that he would allways hand out with Tam, and he and Tam are in the Flash Back drawn like they were roughly the same age.

But Tam is much younger than Luke (according Detective Comics #977 6 years). So how does this work?

Also Tiff was only 6 or 7 (the writers couldn't really made up their mind) back in Lukes batwing series, how is she 13 now?
    Last edited by Aahz; 05-21-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I'm a little bit confused by the realtive ages of the Fox Kids, in Second Son it is said that Tim is older than Luke but also that he would allways hand out with Tam, and he and Tam are in the Flash Back drawn like they were roughly the same age.

But Tam is much younger than Luke (according Detective Comics #977 6 years). So how does this work?

Also Tiff was only 6 or 7 (the writers couldn't really made up their mind) back in Lukes batwing series, how is she 13 now?
    Comics and ages. Name a more confusing duo .

The cover art looks sick!!!!
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Extraordinary Member

The BATMAN creative team of GLAAD Award-winning writer James Tynion IV (Detective Comics) and Jorge Jimenez (Justice League) take their epic run to the next level. Gotham City is on the brink of a violent evolutionary path as the danger level to Batman and his allies reaches a fever pitch. The Magistrate now have full support from the mayor to handle high level law enforcement in Gotham and branded the Dark Knight as Public Enemy #1. Plus, the Scarecrow has his own terrifying agenda as he launches his master plan in the chaos. This is the first look at the epic Fear State event that will run across Batman titles beginning this Fall.

The new Dark Knight, Jace Fox, has arrived in this sneak peek of the upcoming I Am Batman series written by Oscar® winner John Ridley (The Other History of the DC Universe) with stunning art by Travel Foreman (The Next Batman: Second Son). Fans will get a taste of this blockbuster storyline starring the newest Caped Crusader in this 32-page FCBD special edition.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    When do Free Comic Book Day comics release now? Used to be May, but not the case right now.

Extraordinary Member

When do Free Comic Book Day comics release now? Used to be May, but not the case right now.
    FCBD has been rescheduled for November 9th.