Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Okay, dude, it's obvious the rhetoric you're coming in here with. If you want to see brand new characters, go read The Flash with Wally West. Or Infinite Frontier with Barry Allen. When's that Blue Beetle and Booster Gold series come out again? Ted Kord's pretty original. Oh, yeah, and there's Robin too. Damian's the first to ever do it!
    Eh, I think you're getting too worked up just because someone disagrees with you on the internet. Deal with it.

P.S. I think Batman has too many Robins, and I'm also skeptical that Jon Kent will work out as Superman. (And Wally West had a buildup of 25+ years before becoming The Flash, fyi).

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Eh, I think you're getting too worked up just because someone disagrees with you on the internet. Deal with it.

P.S. I think Batman has too many Robins, and I'm also skeptical that Jon Kent will work out as Superman. (And Wally West had a buildup of 25+ years before becoming The Flash, fyi).
    I'm really not, I just don't find your condescension and points to be particularly well thought-out. Anyone can be cynical for the sake of it. I could say Action Comics is in danger of being canceled right now because Superman is too dark and Geoff Johns was right, so we need the original Superman Kal-L back instead of this imposter Kal-El. Seriously, why add an E if it's still pronounced the same?

And how much buildup did Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, and Kyle Rayner have?

Oh, I'd prefer DC and Marvel create brand new, diverse characters, too.

I'm just saying if you *must* race-or-gender-bend/swap/replace existing characters, try some of the villains. You'll probably have more success with that.
    Tynion created a daughter for Bane and a Black counterpart to Poisin ivy. We'll see if they catch on.

In addition to the points above, I'd add that it doesn't feel like enough time has passed since Snyder's Duke Thomas push and prior to that David Zavimbe and Jace's own brother being Batwing. I would not have made the choice to have the new black Batman be yet another Fox family member and brother of Batwing. It feels too familiar and claustrophobic.

What the higher-ups should've mandated was the creation of black Joker instead. The thing that DC and Marvel are missing is that villains are often much more compelling than heroes. In The Dark Knight movie, Christian Bale outright stated that Heath Ledger was doing more interesting things than Bale was. DC and Marvel deciding to race-or-gender-bend/swap only the hero characters is so limiting and stupid.

With black Joker, I wouldn't give him his own book right away, of course. But he would make several appearances in the other Bat-books, causing Joker-style chaos in each one. Black Joker will be indiscriminate with his crimes, attacking and robbing both villains and heroes; his push will be similar to how the WWE pushed The Shield when they first appeared on the scene. And black Joker's calling card would be different from Joker gas (I haven't had my coffee yet and might fill in what that might be after). Black Joker's name and identity would be a secret for at least a year of issues, maybe forever if we want to go full Joker. The first meeting between white Joker and black Joker will be epic with variant covers and a signal that this should be collected. How that meeting goes, you guys can decide, but I'm thinking they both try to backstab and kill each other, after which they both respect each other more and might even team up one day against Batman.
    It would've been simpler just to use Luke. I'm surprised the Batwing writers didn't use Tim Fox. It's prime material.

Using Luke is erasing what makes the Next Batman actually interesting.

Incredible Member

I'm really not, I just don't find your condescension and points to be particularly well thought-out. Anyone can be cynical for the sake of it. I could say Action Comics is in danger of being canceled right now because Superman is too dark and Geoff Johns was right, so we need the original Superman Kal-L back instead of this imposter Kal-El. Seriously, why add an E if it's still pronounced the same?

And how much buildup did Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, and Kyle Rayner have?
    Au contraire, I laid out some decently long posts explaining why I think this title won't last long. You disagree with my points, which is fine. That would've been the end of it, except for the extra sensitivity you exhibited about my predictions for this title. But now you say you really aren't worked up over my predictions, and as a gentleman, I will take you at your word. So, we'll just agree to disagree then, if that's okay with you since you are a gentleman as well, I believe, and gentlemen can agree to disagree.

Time will tell which one of us is right about the future of this title. Nothing more to be said.

Au contraire, I laid out some decently long posts explaining why I think this title won't last long. You disagree with my points, which is fine. That would've been the end of it, except for the extra sensitivity you exhibited about my predictions for this title. But now you say you really aren't worked up over my predictions, and as a gentleman, I will take you at your word. So, we'll just agree to disagree then, if that's okay with you since you are a gentleman as well, I believe, and gentlemen can agree to disagree.

Time will tell which one of us is right about the future of this title. Nothing more to be said.
    I can say more. Dan DiDio is never wrong.

Batwing debuts this coming Sunday on the season finale of Batwoman.

Astonishing Member

Using Luke is erasing what makes the Next Batman actually interesting.
    This. I feel it should be more than evident by now what makes Jace so compelling as Batman, thanks to his origin lead-in,

Besides, we already know the reason Tim was brought back as Jace to become Batman rather Luke. Jace/Tim was enough of a blank slate that the compelling the story that was crafted for him was able to be made.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    This. I feel it should be more than evident by now what makes Jace so compelling as Batman, thanks to his origin lead-in,

Besides, we already know the reason Tim was brought back as Jace to become Batman rather Luke. Jace/Tim was enough of a blank slate that the compelling the story that was crafted for him was able to be made.
    Here you are referring to Jace wanting to make amends for the hit-and-run death he caused? I do think he is more interesting than his too-good-to-be-true brother, who I believe was a scientific genius slash champion mixed martial artist.

So yeah John Ridley put Jace in the final issue of The Other History of the dc universe, I guess he's insinuating that he's in the same dc era as Thunder and Khalid Dr. Fate?

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So yeah John Ridley put Jace in the final issue of The Other History of the dc universe, I guess he's insinuating that he's in the same dc era as Thunder and Khalid Dr. Fate?

It's just the next generation. You can see Yara and the Teen Titans Academy kids.

Spectacular Member

actually it just the next generation of poc heroes

Astonishing Member

Here you are referring to Jace wanting to make amends for the hit-and-run death he caused? I do think he is more interesting than his too-good-to-be-true brother, who I believe was a scientific genius slash champion mixed martial artist.
    There's room for both kinds of characters in fictional media. Make no mistake: Jace makes the most sense to become Batman, but Luke as Batwing is still very much valid, narratively.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    There's room for both kinds of characters in fictional media. Make no mistake: Jace makes the most sense to become Batman, but Luke as Batwing is still very much valid, narratively.
    Yeah for all we know DC could turn Jace and Luke into a brother superhero duo as Batman and Batwing.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Yeah for all we know DC could turn Jace and Luke into a brother superhero duo as Batman and Batwing.
    That would definitely be a worthy goal to aspire their characters to!