Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Alright so I think Ridley made it a lot clearer what Jace's dramatic past moment was without giving us all the details. Spoilers and some theorizing below

spoilers:
    I think it is obvious that Jace when he was younger was careless or perhaps even Drunk while driving and killed a pedestrian in a hit and run, but likely that his father and his connections got Jace out of going to jail but Lucius then sent him away to military school. At least that is what I am taking away from this, of course I could be wrong. But basically I think Jace sees being Batman as repentance instead of Bruce seeing it as a mission statement, that he needs to struggle to save lives of people as a hero to make up for the one he took.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Alright so I think Ridley made it a lot clearer what Jace's dramatic past moment was without giving us all the details. Spoilers and some theorizing below

spoilers:
    I think it is obvious that Jace when he was younger was careless or perhaps even Drunk while driving and killed a pedestrian in a hit and run, but likely that his father and his connections got Jace out of going to jail but Lucius then sent him away to military school. At least that is what I am taking away from this, of course I could be wrong. But basically I think Jace sees being Batman as repentance instead of Bruce seeing it as a mission statement, that he needs to struggle to save lives of people as a hero to make up for the one he took.
    end of spoilers
    I got a similar impression but I don't think it's that cut and dry. I think what Jace is running from or looking for redemption for has to do with what he was doing while he was away; there's definitely more to it than military school.spoilers:
    "I feel bad about hitting a guy as a dumb kid" seems too stereotypical
    end of spoilers and just doesn't feel like a proper justification to be Batman. I think his flashback has something to do with it but I'm not sure it's THE moment that led him to this path.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I got a similar impression but I don't think it's that cut and dry. I think what Jace is running from or looking for redemption for has to do with what he was doing while he was away; there's definitely more to it than military school.spoilers:
    "I feel bad about hitting a guy as a dumb kid" seems too stereotypical
    end of spoilers and just doesn't feel like a proper justification to be Batman. I think his flashback has something to do with it but I'm not sure it's THE moment that led him to this path.
    I think its at least the start of things, and I don't think its about the moment that drives him.
    spoilers:
    I think its the fact that he got away with it because of Lucius' money and power, that a man died because of him but he never truly paid for his crime. Like its a feeling of guilt over privilege, if that makes sense.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Okay, having read The Next Batman #4... I now hate the Fox family. Not all of them- I like Jace, and I have no feeling on the sister, but I don't like what they've done to Lucius, and I can't STAND Luke or the mother.

I get they are upset with what happened to Tamara, but guess what- they CHOSE to stay in Gotham, even knowing what dangers there were and being able to afford moving literally anywhere else. And Lucius CHOSE to help Batman, even knowing what could happen if one of his rogues figured out who he was under the mask. At that point, it's their own damn fault, but they are hiding behind a blind hatred of masks that is just pissing me off.

Incredible Member

Is anyone else here as cheesed off as I am on Luke's entire characterization in FS - both in Grifters and TNBatman?

smh...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Is anyone else here as cheesed off as I am on Luke's entire characterization in FS - both in Grifters and TNBatman?

smh...
    In TNB I can tolerate his characterisation because there is an unresolved tension between Luke and Jace base on history that we don't fully understand.

I absolutely dislike Luke's characterization in Grifters, as a former hero, he is barely shown as competent.

I like Jace, however, I hope the upcoming Second Son series paints the entire Fox family in a better light

In TNB I'm cool with it because he's depicted mostly at having a chip on his shoulder regarding his older brother, what happened to his sister and generally speaking the whole Joker War and all that but still clearly respect the new Batman. In Grifter it was... something else.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    In TNB I can tolerate his characterisation because there is an unresolved tension between Luke and Jace base on history that we don't fully understand.

I absolutely dislike Luke's characterization in Grifters, as a former hero, he is barely shown as competent.

I like Jace, however, I hope the upcoming Second Son series paints the entire Fox family in a better light
    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    In TNB I'm cool with it because he's depicted mostly at having a chip on his shoulder regarding his older brother, what happened to his sister and generally speaking the whole Joker War and all that but still clearly respect the new Batman. In Grifter it was... something else.

Yeah I get the logic behind his attitude in TNB but still rubs me the wrong way.

Guess it's based on personal bias.

As to Grifters? No excuses DC.

BANNED

An appreciation thread of a traitorous family lol

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    I mean I wouldn’t say that’s entirely fair, I would say that the youngest sister likes him the older sister is in a coma and his mother only hates him as Batman which she doesn’t know who he is. At worst are Lucius and Luke and we don’t know why exactly they are upset with him, though Lucius is trying to reconnect for his wife after Joker War.

Also I’m just ignoring Grifters, I have no idea what happened with Luke in that story but it makes no sense considering his relationship with the batfamily. Like that was nothing like the Luke I’ve read, but Next Batman is fine because who doesn’t have family issues.
    Words to live by.

knee jerk reaction to a bad take smh I'm slipping y'all LOL
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-18-2021 at 07:31 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Who’s older, Tim or Luke?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Who’s older, Tim or Luke?
    Tim is apparently, according to the May solicit for Second Son #2

From the pages of Future State: The Next Batman and Batman comes the untold story of Lucius Fox’s second son! Tim Fox is struggling to find his place in the family after having been gone so many years...and his younger brother, Luke, won’t let him forget it! But Tim’s investigation into Arkadine takes a turn as he realizes there’s a connection with the shadowy Simon Saint! Meanwhile, Batwing is tearing into the underworld in search of Ratcatcher, looking for answers about his sister Tamara’s relapse!
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Technically that's not main continuity. If you wanna talk traitors, I still haven't gotten my Red X reveal yet.

Astonishing Member

So some spoilers for today’s appearances of Jace

spoilers:
    Well in Dark Detective Jace did get to run into Bruce...and that’s about it. They talked but I guess they just didn’t have the page space to fight with only one issue left in Dark Detective. At least the meeting was okay, also Jace is noticeably bigger then Bruce not important but that is just an interesting thing to note.

Over in Justice League Jace made friends, after their run in with the Hyperclan white martians they revealed their identities to each other and had a nice dinner. So Jace is now friends with his Justice League team. Oh and apparently Jace hums a theme song as he fights, which I think is a fun idea.
    end of spoilers
    Cool! I particularly like the detail about Jace's height. I'm glad they didn't embrace the urge many seem to have to make Bruce the biggest in the room among the good guys/heroes. There are people taller and bigger than him without being villains, so it's cool that Jace is one of them.

New John Ridley interview, he talks about how he got the job, that Jace may be here to stay even if Future State doesn't happen, he talks a little about Second Son (don't expect details), and reveals that yes eventually Luke and Jace will faceoff in some capacity.

https://www.denofgeek.com/comics/the...-future-state/
    Looking forward that confrontation.

(Yes I know I'm behind.)