Page 5 of 87 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m really enjoying it so far, minus a few misses here or there. I still think Tony should move to someplace like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, if only to give him a fresh environment, but a location that would be able to provide a completely different perspective than New York or California.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Honestly, I think this entire run is just a collection of failure of execution.

The crux seems like it wants to be religion against science. But the only real conflict there is artificial, for a host of reasons. For one, many famous scientists were men of faith. As a matter of fact, the Catholic Church holds evolution as fact. There are plenty of religious believers at conflict with science, but they're on the fringe, and for a conflict to exist, their beliefs need to be established.

And for another thing, what exactly would a conflict between science and religion look like? On a practical level, I'm hard pressed to see how it might work. Even in a world where literal Gods walk around.

The second failure is the attempt to include progressive politics in this run. Execution matters, and it's been terrible here.

Cardiac was turned into a cartoonish, death trap villain. He was woke against corporate greed before woke was a concept!

Patsy lecturing Tony about his privilege for his ability to pay his own hospital bills was/is asinine in general, but looks even worse under examination. Tony is basically a first responder, and his inability to get health insurance because he's been hurt so many times helping others should be an indictment against our insurance system, not Tony's wealth.

That was followed by Patsy dismissing Tony's issues following his death and rebirth. The idea that trauma is a contest, that one is worse than another, is one that many progressives have rightfully fought against. Trauma is trauma. Patsy saying hers was worse is not a way to help.

And most glaring of all, was how the writers just glossed over Tony's attempted murder of Melter.

Frankly, in certain ways, I found it frightfully realistic. Tony, an otherwise good man, is pushed past his limits and nearly murders a man simply for destroying his car.

I often wonder, how many police officers who were/are otherwise good people, simply had one bad day? Who, lacking meaningful emotional support, gave into their worser instincts and left themselves and the public forever scarred by it? Everyone has a breaking point, and without meaningful help, can get closer to it than we should allow.

Yet the attempted murder is simply glossed over, and more focus is given to Tony whining about not being in first class than him attempting to end a man's life because of a car.

So yeah, I'm ready for a new writer. Bendis almost looks good at this point.
    No. Way. In. Hades.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’m really enjoying it so far, minus a few misses here or there. I still think Tony should move to someplace like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, if only to give him a fresh environment, but a location that would be able to provide a completely different perspective than New York or California.
    Glad to hear your enjoying it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    No. Way. In. Hades.
    Amen brother. Amen.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Ultimate Member

No. Way. In. Hades.
    All too often, reviewers look at concepts over execution. So the longer Cantwell stays, the greater the chance he becomes to Iron Man what Jason Aaron is to Thor.

whenever this run is done, Christopher Priest is a good candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    All too often, reviewers look at concepts over execution. So the longer Cantwell stays, the greater the chance he becomes to Iron Man what Jason Aaron is to Thor.
    I don't care what the metric is. Bendis speak alone is a major disqualifier. No thank you, I'll stick with Cantwell over Bendis

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I don't care what the metric is. Bendis speak alone is a major disqualifier. No thank you, I'll stick with Cantwell over Bendis
    This. All day, every day.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Incredible work there. Thanks for sharing.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Thanks for the share juan678. I’m really digging this art.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Cantwell's run is decent so far. Some big ideas with a more introspective Tony. I dig the guest character choices so far. Execution can be off but I'm hoping it gets better. I'm hoping Cantwell sticks around to finish his "Book of Korvac" storyline.

The relationship with Hellcat feels incredibly inorganic. She's spent the entire run preaching down to Stark, but somehow he finds they are attracted to each other? By rights, he should find her to be a tiresome scold, and she clearly has contempt for him. I don't buy the attraction, to the point where them hooking up startled me. I was, like wuuuuhh???

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Cantwell must've forgot Patsy is a pampered middle-class white girl when he added her to this run. If it was one of the ex-Force Works girls like Wanda or Julia it might've worked.

People must've forgot Bendis's sins:

1) started Beard Bros. with Strange
    2) brought in MJ for no reason
    3) brought in random character as his mum and made her stick around for no reason
    4) made some random character Iron Man
    "Cable was right!"

This looks pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Cantwell must've forgot Patsy is a pampered middle-class white girl when he added her to this run. If it was one of the ex-Force Works girls like Wanda or Julia it might've worked.

People must've forgot Bendis's sins:

1) started Beard Bros. with Strange
    2) brought in MJ for no reason
    3) brought in random character as his mum and made her stick around for no reason
    4) made some random character Iron Man
    Yeah, thank goodness his run didn't last any longer.