Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    With Spider-Man though, it's just lousy meta. People in his orbit suffer because that's what writers do.

Throwing shade against Peter for saving lives, often at great personal expense, is nothing more than victim blaming/shaming.

With Tony and Korvacs though, it should just be treated as self doubt. Tony's gone up against cosmic baddies to know that absolute power is never a good thing.
    Good points.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Just relaunch the book as Hellcat.
    It’s ridiculous. Cantwells reason for choosing Patsy Walker was to write about mental illness .. ignoring Tonys own mental health problems. The holier than thou Patsy attitude is also pissing me off.

Cantwell clearly wanted to write a Hellcat book.
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    It’s ridiculous. Cantwells reason for choosing Patsy Walker was to write about mental illness .. ignoring Tonys own mental health problems. The holier than thou Patsy attitude is also pissing me off.

His execution on most everything leaves a lot to be desired. Patsy comes down harder on Tony for paying to fix his own broken arm and death like experience than she does on him for nearly killing Melter.

He wants to include progressive politics in the series, but I can't say he's done it well yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    His execution on most everything leaves a lot to be desired. Patsy comes down harder on Tony for paying to fix his own broken arm and death like experience than she does on him for nearly killing Melter.

He wants to include progressive politics in the series, but I can't say he's done it well yet.
    Not to mention how he wrote Cardiac.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I can agree that was a disgrace. I mean, Cardiac would be just about the perfect anti-hero/anti-villain to interrogate otherwise unchecked, unfettered corporate power as it impacts ordinary people's daily lives in the real world, juxtaposed against a billionaire superhero whose heroic epiphany came from experiencing the consequences of his reckless, even thoughtless war profiteering firsthand. However, making him an outright terrorist who holds innocent people hostage and is willing to kill them all to make a point about how corrupt Tony Stark's (former) company is completely undercuts and undermines whatever credibility or standing he'd have to make any argument about Tony's moral failings or corporate amorality, if not downright immorality, in general.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't wanna go into every example, but God damn, yeah.

The only saving grace IMO, is that character continuity is very loose of late. I don't see the next writer acknowledging it, and we can just treat it as 'Thanos Copter'

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. Honestly I've been bored. He doesn't want to write Tony Stark, and Hellcat is boring.

I'm not ready to jump off the book because I'm still intrigued by what Cantwell has planned for Tony. He maybe taking the long route to delve into Tony's psyche but it's still an interesting trip.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I’ve not been getting this new run, but from the sounds of I’m not missing much.

Who would you like on the book?

Ultimate Member

Honestly, I think this entire run is just a collection of failure of execution.

The crux seems like it wants to be religion against science. But the only real conflict there is artificial, for a host of reasons. For one, many famous scientists were men of faith. As a matter of fact, the Catholic Church holds evolution as fact. There are plenty of religious believers at conflict with science, but they're on the fringe, and for a conflict to exist, their beliefs need to be established.

And for another thing, what exactly would a conflict between science and religion look like? On a practical level, I'm hard pressed to see how it might work. Even in a world where literal Gods walk around.

The second failure is the attempt to include progressive politics in this run. Execution matters, and it's been terrible here.

Cardiac was turned into a cartoonish, death trap villain. He was woke against corporate greed before woke was a concept!

Patsy lecturing Tony about his privilege for his ability to pay his own hospital bills was/is asinine in general, but looks even worse under examination. Tony is basically a first responder, and his inability to get health insurance because he's been hurt so many times helping others should be an indictment against our insurance system, not Tony's wealth.

That was followed by Patsy dismissing Tony's issues following his death and rebirth. The idea that trauma is a contest, that one is worse than another, is one that many progressives have rightfully fought against. Trauma is trauma. Patsy saying hers was worse is not a way to help.

And most glaring of all, was how the writers just glossed over Tony's attempted murder of Melter.

Frankly, in certain ways, I found it frightfully realistic. Tony, an otherwise good man, is pushed past his limits and nearly murders a man simply for destroying his car.

I often wonder, how many police officers who were/are otherwise good people, simply had one bad day? Who, lacking meaningful emotional support, gave into their worser instincts and left themselves and the public forever scarred by it? Everyone has a breaking point, and without meaningful help, can get closer to it than we should allow.

Yet the attempted murder is simply glossed over, and more focus is given to Tony whining about not being in first class than him attempting to end a man's life because of a car.

So yeah, I'm ready for a new writer. Bendis almost looks good at this point.

Ultimate Member

Dupe post. System acting up

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm not ready to jump off the book because I'm still intrigued by what Cantwell has planned for Tony. He maybe taking the long route to delve into Tony's psyche but it's still an interesting trip.
    Same here brother. Glad I’m not the only one lol.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I'm really interested in the mind trip and what eventually will come out of it. The Hellcat stuff doesn't bother me and we get to see into someone else's mindset along side Tony's.

Iron Man takes new armor up a level.
    https://www.cbr.com/king-in-black-ir...lestial-armor/
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I'm enjoying the run so far. It may not be perfect, and there have been some slip ups along the way (the Cardiac portrayal being the main one) but overall I have found it a good read. I am also a fan of Hellcat, so I have been enjoying her presence as well...although I do miss having some of the other supporting cast around. I do recognize that they don't fit into the arc that is currently happening though. At least Rhodey has re-entered the series now.