Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Iron Man has his own Attack on Titan.
    https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-ultimo-attack-on-titan/
    I like how the article calls Stilt-Man an “ex villain.” Maybe he’ll be reformed for good and join up with Tony and Patsy. Avro-X and the other guys flying around in space trying not to get killed by Korvac. I think these guys would make a great supporting cast. I had to laugh watching Stilt-Man trying to punch Ultimo with his telescoping arm. It was totally ineffective but at least he tried.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I find Cantwell's take on Stark bland compared to the movies. In the movies, Stark's primary motivation is PSTD/survivors guilt. The deaths of his parents and Yinsin left a permanent mark on him, turning him into someone obsessed with keeping his friends and family alive. This obsession motivates all his actions, both heroic and reckless. It makes him almost casually willing to sacrifice his life, but also leads to things like Ultron and the Sokovia Accords, because he is so desperate to keep everyone alive that he will rush into solutions that cause more problems than benefits. THAT'S Anthony E. Stark to me.

Cantwell's Stark seems so petty and bland by comparison. Movie Stark would be too busy obsessing over keeping his friends alive to worry about Twitter trolls.
    They had to make Tony like that for all of the popcorn munchers. You know the ones. The people who never bought one single comic book in their entire lives. I’m liking Cantwell’s run so far. Tony may be a bit to vulnerable but after almost 60 years you have to change things up a bit.

Mighty Member

Cantwell's run has been... Fine so far.
    I feel like it has outstanding moments, but the comic is at its best when it stops being about Iron Man.
    I wonder if this story will read better once it's completed. A part of me feels like this could go down as a cult classic as long as it sticks the landing.

I'll probably give it all a big read once it's done anyway

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    https://screenrant.com/iron-man-iden...l-mistake-mcu/

Maybe it is only my opinion, but it's a trend to simply criticize Tony for being an incompetent, childish, selfish & outdated capitalist jerk.
    I think this article well demonstrates why Cantwell's run is so awesome & why Tony is a good & complex character - he wants to do good & be appreciated (like for example, Captain America) - but as it is said, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"...

Cantwell slowly manages to deconstruct the shiny & pompous mythology (& shell) of Tony/Iron Man to reveal a person who is desperately trying to connect to the people he wants to help but constantly fails bc of his ego or bc people just don't believe him.

I don't know that my comment makes any sense, but this is the way I approach this run.
    Makes perfect sense to me. Kinda reminds me of the Michelinie/Layton/JRJR version of Tony from Iron Man #127 (October, 1979):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-21-2021 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Makes perfect sense to me. Kinda reminds me of the Michelinie/Layton/JRJR version of Tony from Iron Man #127 (October, 1979):
    This is were Cantwell is getting his inspiration from. He said this is what he read and is basing his run on. I'm really enjoying the hell out of it so far. The only weak issues is the 2 Tony weren't in and even they were solid.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-21-2021 at 05:34 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Thanks for the replies and I'll def. check out this issue.
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 07-21-2021 at 08:18 AM.

I actually wrote a longer post about my opinion and why I love this book more than any other IM run since Gillen left. But I decided to go with the essential.

This book is the much needed down to earth time for Tony. Not changing armors every other issue, no secret weapon, no family drama. I still can’t forgive Slott and the editors for what they did with Arno.

The team is just a bunch of b- and c-list heroes, and I love them all.

Most interesting character so far for me is Halcyon and I hope that nothing bad happens to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    I actually wrote a longer post about my opinion and why I love this book more than any other IM run since Gillen left. But I decided to go with the essential.

This book is the much needed down to earth time for Tony. Not changing armors every other issue, no secret weapon, no family drama. I still can’t forgive Slott and the editors for what they did with Arno.

Most interesting character so far for me is Halcyon and I hope that nothing bad happens to him.
    Halcyon is my favorite character from this run I wonder whether he will eventually go to Krakoa or remain a recurring character in IM stories.

Glad to hear you're enjoying this run on Iron Man. I'd like to see your other post.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Glad to hear you're enjoying this run on Iron Man. I'd like to see your other post.
    Ha, it was actually just what I wrote above just with more sentences. I lost myself halfway in me thinking that Tony must have had a burn-out syndrome, because of all the things that happened in his life within a few years of writing.
    When there was a problem, Tony built a new armor or created an even more powerful machine than he did before. As if writers ignored every human possible limit and made him almighty.

That’s why I love this new take on the series. Tony has to use whatever he can get, and can’t just snap with his fingers.

And I respect Cantwell for digging so deep in Iron Man’s history of villains and friends. He just added Halcyon as sole new character and I love him. I can see Halcyon as a support character with connections to the town‘s underground scene. Like a Fast & Furious character who repairs, improves and optains machinery and spare parts.

Yes, some can say that the book is very male heavy. Cantwell must be Thompson‘s arch enemy among the writers ��
    But after playing Marvel themed role playing games on another site and browsing through lists, I must say there are very female characters who interest me. And 90% of them have animal codenames. I am happy to not see Pepper, Cabe, Captain Carol or She-Hulk in that Swedish Bikini Team outfit for a while.

By the way, what’s the history between Misty and Tony? She doesn’t really like him..

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    They had to make Tony like that for all of the popcorn munchers. You know the ones. The people who never bought one single comic book in their entire lives. I’m liking Cantwell’s run so far. Tony may be a bit to vulnerable but after almost 60 years you have to change things up a bit.
    I agree. I don't want comics Tony following behind MCU Tony every step of the way. Comics Tony has his own issues that are just as troublesome as ptsd. He's an alcoholic and his been suffering though an identity crisis. That's more than enough without adding ptsd on top.

This is were Cantwell is getting his inspiration from. He said this is what he read and is basing his run on. I'm really enjoying the hell out of it so far. The only weak issues is the 2 Tony weren't in and even they were solid.
    Yeah, I'm liking this run more and more. Enjoy seeing some old faces in new places and taking on new roles. And I'm enjoying Tony more than I have in a long time, probably since Fraction.

The bolded part is spot on.

Ha, it was actually just what I wrote above just with more sentences. I lost myself halfway in me thinking that Tony must have had a burn-out syndrome, because of all the things that happened in his life within a few years of writing.
    When there was a problem, Tony built a new armor or created an even more powerful machine than he did before. As if writers ignored every human possible limit and made him almighty.

That’s why I love this new take on the series. Tony has to use whatever he can get, and can’t just snap with his fingers.

And I respect Cantwell for digging so deep in Iron Man’s history of villains and friends. He just added Halcyon as sole new character and I love him. I can see Halcyon as a support character with connections to the town‘s underground scene. Like a Fast & Furious character who repairs, improves and optains machinery and spare parts.

Yes, some can say that the book is very male heavy. Cantwell must be Thompson‘s arch enemy among the writers ��
    But after playing Marvel themed role playing games on another site and browsing through lists, I must say there are very female characters who interest me. And 90% of them have animal codenames. I am happy to not see Pepper, Cabe, Captain Carol or She-Hulk in that Swedish Bikini Team outfit for a while.

By the way, what’s the history between Misty and Tony? She doesn’t really like him..
    In agreement with you here. It's good to see Tony dial it back a bit after everything he did in Slott's run.

Maybe Slott's IM run isn't the most outstanding but has beautiful covers.

Tony_Stark_Iron_Man_Vol_1_8.jpg

Tony_Stark_Iron_Man_Vol_1_4.jpg
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)