Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Would anyone mind giving me an "essential reading" breakdown for Artemis? I've only encountered her sporadically.
    Gaius' list is bang on.

If you end up going for deep cut Artemis, I think that what Byrne and then Luke did with the character during their runs on WW is also helpful for showing how we go from the Artemis of The Contest and Requiem to the Artemis of the Jimenez run. Byrne introduces the idea of Artemis as a sort of mentor figure to Cassie Sandsmark, which is something that Luke then progresses. The result is we get to see Artemis transition from the sort of "hot-head" figure she starts out as to a more measured character, at times the grounded foil to Diana. I'm always on here lamenting that Luke's time on the book has never been collected, and although Artemis isn't front and centre during his run, its the narrative thread that gets her from where she was to where she ends up.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Should Artemis have a code name? And if so, what should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    She never really struck me as the type to need a code name, so I don't think she really needs one.

They tried it for a bit. Loebs gave her the codename 'Requiem' in his six issue mini-series.

Gave her a very skull heavy costume, put her on a superhero team. Gave her a nemesis in the armies of hell who she grew up battling.

It just didn't stick for very long. I think part of the problem is simply that Artemis has always been more 'warrior' than superhero and giving her a code name just doesn't really stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    They tried it for a bit. Loebs gave her the codename 'Requiem' in his six issue mini-series.

Gave her a very skull heavy costume, put her on a superhero team. Gave her a nemesis in the armies of hell who she grew up battling.

It just didn't stick for very long. I think part of the problem is simply that Artemis has always been more 'warrior' than superhero and giving her a code name just doesn't really stick.
    Huh, I'm now just realizing the pattern on the leotard is supposed to be a skull.

Also, good point on the "warrior" personality. She's a bit to blunt and to the point to use a code name.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post

Requiem is a good name.

Yeah she is more a warrior but when I think of (Gods forbid) the day where a Wonder Woman tv series comes about and they are able to flesh her out, give her a "normal" life to live every now and then, a name probably helps.

I think perhaps an Epitet would work better. Examples like 'Conan the Barbarian' are rather catchy and inform who a character is. I could see such a thing suiting Artemis

I hope they don't get rid of the axe. It's so ridiculously large, it fits her personality perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I hope they don't get rid of the axe. It's so ridiculously large, it fits her personality perfectly.
    Same. Despite the name, I think it fits her better than a bow-and-arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Same. Despite the name, I think it fits her better than a bow-and-arrow.
    A bow would only work with her if the arrow's were the size of a telephone poll.

Artemis has so be the most extra of the wonder fam with everything she does. XD

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    A bow would only work with her if the arrow's were the size of a telephone poll.

Artemis has so be the most extra of the wonder fam with everything she does. XD
    Indeed she is.

Each arrow is a friggin sun!
    Honestly given how weapon happy Artemis is, I can easily see her having three or four on hand just to swap between when need be. Id maybe give her a long knife or a claymore to add to things, and a longbow just for variety.

The axe does suit her well, but her being able to shoot a bird from four miles away without even looking does make for a fun image. Plus gives her a good counter for any fool who thinks shes helpless if attacked at long range

Mighty Member

I don't think she should have, but that's maybe just my concern that the name probably would go into a the raging blood knight direction

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Her current visual + the axe reminds me too much of Marvel's Ares, but I'm not opposed to it being part of a rotating arsenal.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES